C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

EGR....Remove it?? Plug it?? Leave it alone??

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2003, 10:41 PM
WhiskeyPapa
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default EGR....Remove it?? Plug it?? Leave it alone??

Would this do any good or harm? I've got the engine apart right now, and I'm wondering if I really need EGR.
Would it make it impossible to pass emissions if I got rid of it?
Old 04-16-2003, 11:57 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Default Re: EGR....Remove it?? Plug it?? Leave it alone?? (WhiskeyPapa)

The EGR is open only under limited conditions so I'm not sure if you would pass emissions or not without it.

Since EGR is off during WOT the only benefit to removing it is to clean up the area a little.

I recommend that you cut the EGR tube off inside the exhaust runner however as that will clean up the tube a little.
Old 04-17-2003, 09:25 AM
oldace84
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '04 & '05

Do they do visual smog checks in your state.???????? if so leave it alone...can't see where it hurts performance that much....
Just my thoughts..
tony
:flag :smash:
Old 04-17-2003, 09:26 AM
Frodo
Melting Slicks

Received 586 Likes on 266 Posts

I'm doing away with EGR, as well as the AIR. I bought Hedman headers without the EGR and AIR fittings. This is gonna clean up the engine bay a lot. I do have to weld an O2 sensor bung onto those headers though since they don't come with that feature either. Everyone I've talked to says you don't "need" the EGR anyway. I don't have emissions testing here so I don't know how EGR removal effects that.

Good Luck!!
Old 04-17-2003, 09:43 AM
Wile E Coyote
Racer

Default Re: EGR....Remove it?? Plug it?? Leave it alone?? (Frodo)

I'm doing away with EGR, as well as the AIR. I bought Hedman headers without the EGR and AIR fittings. This is gonna clean up the engine bay a lot. I do have to weld an O2 sensor bung onto those headers though since they don't come with that feature either. Everyone I've talked to says you don't "need" the EGR anyway. I don't have emissions testing here so I don't know how EGR removal effects that.

Good Luck!!
I put hedmans in a while ago and have the breathless perf. kit removing the AIR. (No emissions restrictions on pre-92 cars here) You can get a collector for the hedmans that will screw the O2 sensor into. Mine works great.

Never took out the EGR stuff, but since it's not doing anything, not a bad idea.
Old 04-17-2003, 09:49 AM
scorp508
Team Owner

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Re: EGR....Remove it?? Plug it?? Leave it alone?? (shansen)

One thing to consider is that EGR reduces cylinder temperatures greatly at partial throttle. With that said I have mine installed, but not hooked up to my headers or plugged in. Its a pain to get to so I left it there in case I ever need it to pass emissions.

Also you will need to turn off the EGR code in your computer otherwise your SES light will stay on.
Old 04-17-2003, 11:08 AM
BIG JIM 54
Burning Brakes

I took my EGR off when I took the top end apart and didn't put it back on. I covered the hole with an aluminum plate sealed well with silicone. I had to get shorter bolts because my plate was so much thinner than the base of the EGR but otherwise it's simple. Plug the vacuum line to it also. No codes were set doing this.

But an '89 might be different.

BIG JIM
Old 04-17-2003, 01:54 PM
TheCorvetteKid
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: EGR....Remove it?? Plug it?? Leave it alone?? (BIG JIM 54)

I've got the intake off of my '89 right now and I've toyed with the idea of removing it too. But I decided against it when I found out that I would have to modify my EPROM to avoid getting an SES.

For the effort, I don't think it's really worth the gain.

My $0.02.

Get notified of new replies

To EGR....Remove it?? Plug it?? Leave it alone??

Quick Reply: EGR....Remove it?? Plug it?? Leave it alone??