C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Power Steering Fluid Notice...

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2003, 12:58 PM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Received 303 Likes on 137 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Power Sterring Fluid Notice...

I decided to change my power steering fluid...I thought I would treat the car to OEM pure synthetic...called all the dealers and my local guy had to order it for $12.95 a pint :eek: ..found some in stock at another dealer 40 minutes away...only $8.50 a pint...pretty steep but I went for it...here's the notice for y'all... much to my surprise when I read the back of the bottle it clearly says "partially synthetic"...in other words a blend :nonod: ..my local parts store 5 minutes away sells Valvoline synthetic blend for $2.99... :mad ..OEM my azz...btw, the part number is 12345866...don't waste your time or money on it.. :banghead:
Old 05-06-2003, 01:04 PM
T1Kilr
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Power Sterring Fluid Notice... (golfboy1)

Thanks for the heads up! :cheers:
Old 05-06-2003, 01:42 PM
NavyVet
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Red Line is the only way to go :flag
Old 05-06-2003, 02:00 PM
MSR
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

i've never seen a shelf ps fluid match the particular gm spec required for the later c4. fwiw, too, that gm fluid is as good as it gets. i'd buy it over anything, including the redline.

my ps system lost efficiency when i switched to the valvoline synthetic. the steering effort doubled, and the morning sickness immediately took over. prior to the switch i had no problems whatsoever.

that's when i researched it, and found the c4-specific fluid is something pretty special...
Old 05-06-2003, 02:03 PM
ShawnZR-1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'05-'06-'10-'11-'12

Default Re: Power Sterring Fluid Notice... (MSR)

Oh, great. I just got done flushing mine with Valvoline synthetic. I don't have any problems yet, but if you could direct me to the research you found I'd love to see what it has to say. :cheers:
Old 05-06-2003, 04:35 PM
Wheelman
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Power Sterring Fluid Notice... (ShawnZR-1)

Oh, great. I just got done flushing mine with Valvoline synthetic. I don't have any problems yet, but if you could direct me to the research you found I'd love to see what it has to say. :cheers:
I just bought regular ps fluid..........maybe i screwed up too....... :skep: :leaving:
Old 05-06-2003, 05:07 PM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: Power Sterring Fluid Notice... (MSR)

MSR..that's nice to hear.. eases the sting a bit...this stuff better be great !...

p.s. maybe you had regular p.s. fluid in it when you switched to the Valvoline stuff ?..a lot of guys swear by it..

[Modified by golfboy1, 5:16 PM 5/6/2003]
Old 05-06-2003, 05:10 PM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: Power Sterring Fluid Notice... (NavyVet)

NavyVet...Redline may be the only way to go but around here it is a hard way...closest place for me to pick it up is 200 miles away !...I could get it over the net but that's not an option for me.. :nonod:
Old 05-06-2003, 05:13 PM
Fuzzy Dice
Race Director

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default Re: Power Sterring Fluid Notice... (Wheelman)

Wheelman...I don't know if you screwed up but the manual calls for synthetic..cheap as regular P.S. fluid is you can drain it and put in the good stuff fairly inexpensively...
Old 05-07-2003, 12:22 AM
skeet
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Re: Valoline PS synthetic - it only takes about 10% synthetic to call it a blend. Not much of a blend. I did hear before that Redline PS is not good for the LT1 PS systems
Old 05-07-2003, 01:34 AM
bill mcdonald
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Re: Power Sterring Fluid Notice...

I have ran the GM fluid, then the red line, and now the valvoline, nothing changed here.

Old 05-07-2003, 08:38 AM
MSR
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Power Sterring Fluid Notice... (bill mcdonald)

bill, your car doesn't have the same pump as mine. does the L98 even specify the same part number? the part number for my car's ps fluid is unique, i couldn't find even one fluid on any shelf in any store that claimed to meet the spec.

shawn, i searched through the archives on http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi

since i auto-x, the ps system is stressed. same with the other people i know who've had similar problems. it could be my system was on the way out, but coinciding exactly with the fluid change... no. plus, i know a guy who went through multiple pumps on his racecar before sticking with the gm fluid, and no problems since.

the vette specifications are actually good ones, not just to make gm $$$. the clutch fluid is another good example. it works better than straight brake fluid, keeps a seal longer, and is faster reacting (for those who powershift).

Get notified of new replies

To Power Steering Fluid Notice...

Quick Reply: Power Steering Fluid Notice...