C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Smog question for California cars--specifically headers

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003, 12:06 AM
DougSilver
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Smog question for California cars--specifically headers

I was wondering what experiences those in California have had with modifications and smog tests--specifically headers. For headers that are California legal, is an EO number stamped on the header so the smog station inspector can see it? For those who have non-legal headers, do you have problems when getting the car smogged?

Thanks for any info.

Old 10-09-2003, 12:25 AM
PMARTINEZ92126
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Smog question for California cars--specifically headers (DougSilver)

I have illegal TPI headers on my car. You have to know someone to get them smogged because you will fail during the visual inspection part of the test. Legal headers have ( I believe) a stamp that is welded on to show it is a smog legal part. It will have the C.A.R.B number on it. If you want to get some headers I'd go with JBA racing headers because they are legal for California. I may end up going this route because I dont know how long my guy will be in business. The car passes smog like a new car everytime so I dont know what the big deal is that I have full length headers on them. :leaving:
Old 10-09-2003, 12:56 AM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,017 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Default Re: Smog question for California cars--specifically headers (DougSilver)

Longtubes wont pass visual, could pass sniffer test, if the cats are very good.

Shorty's, they are available with CARB #'s, so theyll pass.
Old 10-09-2003, 01:10 AM
DougSilver
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Smog question for California cars--specifically headers (vader86)

Problem is I have some shorties that do not have a CARB number. However, they visually look like any number of other shorties that do have a number. They have all the smog hookups and will no doubt pass the actual emissions, but I was wondering how hardnosed the inspectors are these days. I just took my smog test so if I install the headers, I would have another 2 years to worry about it but the expense of installing and possibly having to remove them puts me off.
Old 10-09-2003, 01:43 AM
88-406
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '05

Hey maybe we'll get lucky and Arnold will TERMINATE the smog test.

km
Old 10-09-2003, 01:49 AM
Goody
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Just tell the inspector that those are early model year factory headers like they made in 86-87 I think.....most of them don't know the difference anyway. So long as it passes the sniffer test without being close. :seeya
Old 10-09-2003, 02:18 AM
PMARTINEZ92126
Racer

maybe go in for a pretest and see if they catch it. If the headers are coated they might look suspicious, but if there old looking id go for it. Or put your old ones back on for the test. It's a pain but it's only once every two years. while your at it do the plugs, wires etc. Think of it as a good time to do a tune-up. Welcome to California Smog. :jester
Old 10-09-2003, 11:24 AM
DougSilver
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Smog question for California cars--specifically headers (PMARTINEZ92126)

When I took my smog test today (stock exhaust still installed) I watched to see how closely the guy looked at the engine--it was more thorough than I expected. The visual questions on the smog form basically require the guy to see that everything is hooked up and working, and this would still be the case for the shorties.

After the test (which I passed by huge margin) I mentioned to the guy that I was considering installing exhaust headers and he said it would be no problem as long as they had the CARB number. I asked if he would really have looked that closely to notice and he seemed to suggest that he would. I'm sure there are some shops that would not look so closely as long as the sniffer test passes.

If there is anyone in the San Fernando Valley area that knows of any less strict smog stations, please email me. Of course if I install the headers I will have 2 years to worry about it. :)
Old 10-09-2003, 12:03 PM
larrybsp
Instructor

I've had two Corvettes with smog tube equipped long tube headers with that did away with the pre cats in California since 1990. One trick I learned is find an inspection station with several hot rod type Mustangs or Camaros in front. The odds are the technicians are into hot cars and will ignore the headers as long as the main cat is there and it passes the sniffer test. A Corvette is not a Honda. 90% of the smog techs have no idea of what a Corvette exhaust consists of. Just tell them the headers were there when you bought the car, if they even ask. As long as the smog tubes are there they wont give you an arguement.
Larry
Old 10-09-2003, 12:14 PM
sinc93
Instructor

I have shortie SLP's without the CARB stamp on them. They passed the visual last December without any problems. On SLP's website they do have a CARB number for them so I printed it out and had it ready for the technician. I had to do a test-only dyno test and the car passed even with a TPI chip in it. ( Mind you the emissions were higher when compared to a stock 94 vette reading. )

You can check the CARB website and see if your header is listed.
Scroll down and choose exhaust modification.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermk...es/amquery.php

My header is listed but did not get an EO number until 97 which explains why my headers do not have a stamp since the previous owner put them on prior to 97.

For a dyno test it's best to warm up the car and just give the technician the EO number before he asks for it. ( Even though I didn't, I've heard it's a good idea especially if you have longtubes. )

I've also heard of guys getting longtubes to pass by driving around to different shops until they found a place that wasn't too familiar with aftermarket parts.

On the bright side, at least with the optispark they can't check the timing. I've had a friends Integra fail because the timing was not within factory specs!. Good luck I don't think you'll have any problems with shorttubes.

Old 10-09-2003, 12:32 PM
DougSilver
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Smog question for California cars--specifically headers (sinc93)

My headers do not have a CARB (not listed on the website and I also called the manufacturer). However, there are a number of similar looking headers (Hooker, SLP, JBA) that DO have CARB number. So do I just say these are Hooker, SLP, etc. and give tell them the number I found off the website? Do they actually go for that?
Old 10-09-2003, 01:05 PM
sinc93
Instructor

Yes I have heard that works. If the technician doesn't have to dig for the number and everything looks in good shape then they are usually happy. Especially for shorttubes since you aren't moving the cats further away from the engine which is apparently the reason longtubes do not get an EO. This is debateable but if you move the cats further away from the engine then on cold starts they are less effective. Cold starts being a large cause of the emissions. Bottom line is you are completely legal with the shorttubes from an emission producing point of view.
Old 10-09-2003, 01:55 PM
Alcee1
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an 84 and I'm looking for smog legal headers, they are very hard to find for my car, can anyone lend a helping hand.....no wise cracks please.. Not trying to bogart the thread... :blueangel:
Old 10-09-2003, 03:37 PM
sinc93
Instructor

Default Re: Smog question for California cars--specifically headers (Alcee1)

I think Hedman makes a set. Check out
http://www.hedman.com/pages/hedders/pass-chevy.html
They also seem to have an EO number on the CARB website. You may want to create a new topic to get more responses and find out which ones fit/install the best etc..
Old 10-13-2003, 04:25 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

These are my factory shorty headers... painted and with heat shields removed... http://webpages.charter.net/khasting...mogdelete3.jpg

Tell him the Corvette came with factory headers, as opposed to cast manifolds for the Camaro. It's not illegal to get factory headers jet-hot coated.... and I seriously doubt the heat shields are an emissions item. :rolleyes: I haven't gotten mine smogged since doing this work, so I don't know if they'll hassle me or not.

Hopefully things change with Ahhnold in office. Because we all know he loves econobox cars. :lol:

[Modified by CentralCoaster, 1:26 AM 10/13/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To Smog question for California cars--specifically headers

Quick Reply: Smog question for California cars--specifically headers