C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

TPIS cold air intake

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003, 11:42 AM
jmrl98
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default TPIS cold air intake

Anyone install it? It looks sweet, but I'm wondering about how much cutting involved compared to other systems (like the SLP).

I also have the small secondary fan in front of the radiator. Will that be a problem? :seeya
Old 10-09-2003, 12:21 PM
comp94
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: TPIS cold air intake (jmrl98)

i v had this set up for about 3 years now and i had too cut a hole the size of my air filter in the radiator shroud. and i had to make a frame out of aluminum angle iron so the the air filter would seat properly against the air in take. if i had too do it again i think that i would go with the vortex rammer set up. mainly because the vortex set up would give me enough room to mount my msd
Old 10-09-2003, 02:23 PM
jmrl98
Drifting

Default Re: TPIS cold air intake (comp94)

Thanks for the reply. My MSD is under my driver's side headlamp - so no problem there. But the air filter does not seat properly in the air intake?
Old 10-09-2003, 02:35 PM
corvettemaster
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the SLP setup, and the small secondary fan (B4P option) is not in the way. So I'm sure it wouldn't be on the TPIS one either.
Old 10-09-2003, 09:27 PM
jmrl98
Drifting

Default Re: TPIS cold air intake (corvettemaster)

Thanks for the reply corvettemaster. I may just go with the SLP; it seems to involve less cutting, and I like the idea of the air being deflected by the sheild into the intake. The TPIS version does not appear to come with the sheild, neither does the vortex.

Did you rivet the sheild per the directions? :seeya
Old 10-09-2003, 10:23 PM
Corvette0096
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

:lurk:
Old 10-09-2003, 10:40 PM
corvettemaster
Melting Slicks

it was on the car when i bought it, so i'm not sure about the riveting. i'll check for you tho. there is some cutting involved. but it wouldn't be hard, and it's not that big of a hole. i'll look at it closer in the morning, and measure the size hole you have to cut. i wish i had a digital camera, then i could take some pics. :(
http://www.slponline.com/view_produc...&SHOWEMAIL=Off

[Modified by corvettemaster, 10:43 PM 10/9/2003]
Old 10-09-2003, 11:00 PM
tpi 421 vette
Melting Slicks

Received 115 Likes on 67 Posts

I have the TPIS cold air intake on mine. Actually they call it their racing air intake. I did have to cut the shroud, but it was no big deal. It came with everything needed. I didn't have to rivot anything. I think it's a good set up and it has a stock look to it.
Old 10-09-2003, 11:33 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I have the SLP setup and the fitment involves laying that white template on the front of the shroud and cutting out the open section in the template.

I didn't use that air deflector so the air just comes directly into the scoop in front of the aux fan.

Though it's hard to see the opening in the bottom front of the scoop, I cut mine up an additional inch for better "scoop" action.
Old 10-10-2003, 08:44 AM
jmrl98
Drifting

Default Re: TPIS cold air intake (tpi 421 vette)

tpi 421 vette, did you have any fitment issues with the air filter into the air intake?

65ZO1, thanks for the scoop cutback tip. I also was thinking the sheild/deflector wasn't needed. Thanks for the confirmation! :seeya
Old 10-10-2003, 05:26 PM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 172 Likes on 149 Posts

I have the TPiS Box as well, it is 110% better then the BPP Rammer.

I have no fitament issues with mine either. I did modify mine since I am no longer using a MAF..

BTW, the mark on the hood is from the BPP Rammer. When I asked Erie why it rubs, he said, it had to for better air flow..

The TPis One DOES NOT Rub, I should have bought it to begin with

[Modified by -=Jeff=-, 6:17 PM 10/10/2003]
Old 10-10-2003, 06:01 PM
tpi 421 vette
Melting Slicks

Received 115 Likes on 67 Posts

tpi 421 vette, did you have any fitment issues with the air filter into the air intake?
The air filter fits fine. It reuses the stock lid, which I cut out.
Old 10-10-2003, 07:50 PM
corvettemaster
Melting Slicks

65ZO1, thanks for the scoop cutback tip. I also was thinking the sheild/deflector wasn't needed. Thanks for the confirmation! :seeya
:iagree: looked at mine real quick before it got dark, and mine didn't use the deflector either. so there was no riveting, which would make the install pretty straight foward. the hardest part being...cuttin a hole in the fan shroud. but you get a template to help you. i might go buy a digital camera tomorrow and take some pics :smash:
Old 10-10-2003, 11:01 PM
tkrussell
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had both the TPIS cold air intake with the ram-air scoop and the Forced Air Induction system via the license plate cover.

Installation of the TPIS was easier, though I felt I needed to remove the upper shroud to safely cut out the access hole. Half a day for either.

Performance of either was identical. Both got lots of cold air to the engine.
Couldn't tell any difference between systems.

Engine cooling on the road was similar. Engine cooling in traffic was much worse with the TPIS system. The ram air scoop partially obstructs the air flow to the upper half of the condenser/radiator. I live in 100 degree summer Texas, so that may color my experience.

I did not experience problems with rain/puddles with either, although I was very careful with the TPIS to avoid deep (over 2 inch) water.

Changing the filter is easy with either system.

Overall, my opinion is that the Forced Air System via the license plate cover is a cleaner engineered design (if you do not need a front license plate). It totally separates the air flows between engine and radiator and allows maximum flow to the radiator. The air at the license cover is also a little cooler that the air 3 inches off the pavement in the hot summer sun. (An intake at the windshield base would be cooler still).

IMHO, the most important thing is getting maximum volume of coolest air to the engine for performance. Ram air effect is essentially nil below 150 mph.
In hot weather traffic, maximizing radiator air flow is also essential.

Get notified of new replies

To TPIS cold air intake

Quick Reply: TPIS cold air intake