C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Dual Mass Flywheel Resurface?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2004, 08:24 AM
Locke
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Dual Mass Flywheel Resurface?

Can the dual mass flywheel be resurfaced?
I finally got the old clutch, pressure plate and release bearing out of the '96 and the flywheel doesn't look new but it's not the worst I've seen.
The guy at the local NAPA store sez they cannot be resurfaced because they won't stay level when being cut.
Locke McCormick
North Florida Corvette Assn.
Jacksonville, FL
Old 02-12-2004, 08:51 AM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

Received 522 Likes on 342 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Default Re: Dual Mass Flywheel Resurface? (Locke)

Nope can't do it.
Old 02-12-2004, 09:06 AM
sraft
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Dual Mass Flywheel Resurface? (SurfnSun)

According to the factory manuals - no, you're not suppose to do it. According to several old threads on this forum - some of those that heve tried, have regretted it. A new flywheel is very expensive (I know, I went through this process a couple of years ago) but pulling the tranny twice is no fun either.
Old 02-12-2004, 09:20 AM
Locke
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Dual Mass Flywheel Resurface? (sraft)

Thanks a bunch for the replies. Now I just have to decide if I want to get a new flywheel or give the old one a try!
Locke
Old 02-12-2004, 09:34 AM
VR'92
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03

When you get your new flywheel, be sure to not cut corners and get a slightly different one than factory. You dont want to be in the shoes I'm in right now. :nonod:
Old 02-12-2004, 10:07 AM
AS84
Melting Slicks

Has there ever been an explanation as to why they cannot be re-surfaced, or is this one of those deals where 1 forum member says it can't be done thus the entire forum begins preaching it? I don't see why .005 or .010 will make that much of a difference on a hyd. clutch. Personally, I would say that alot of it lies in the quality of the machine shop.
Old 02-12-2004, 10:45 AM
HammerDown
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Dual Mass Flywheel Resurface? (AS84)

Has there ever been an explanation as to why they cannot be re-surfaced, or is this one of those deals where 1 forum member says it can't be done thus the entire forum begins preaching it? I don't see why .005 or .010 will make that much of a difference on a hyd. clutch. Personally, I would say that alot of it lies in the quality of the machine shop.
There has been quite a bit of discussion about this, and basically it boils down to two things. First, the cutting oil used and the metal debris created during the surfacing procedure will damage the "internals" of the dual mass system. There's a rubber piece in there that mates the two masses together and it will usually be degraded by the resurfacing process.
Second, the surface that mates with the clutch is slightly concave, therefore resurfacing takes out this concavity and affects clutch to flywheel contact. Some forum members have said that a good machine shop can actually put this concavity back in, but it sounds like a sketchy procedure to me. Really a moot point since the flywheel will be ruined anyway.
Old 02-12-2004, 07:40 PM
AS84
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Dual Mass Flywheel Resurface? (HammerDown)

There has been quite a bit of discussion about this, and basically it boils down to two things. First, the cutting oil used and the metal debris created during the surfacing procedure will damage the "internals" of the dual mass system. There's a rubber piece in there that mates the two masses together and it will usually be degraded by the resurfacing process.
Second, the surface that mates with the clutch is slightly concave, therefore resurfacing takes out this concavity and affects clutch to flywheel contact. Some forum members have said that a good machine shop can actually put this concavity back in, but it sounds like a sketchy procedure to me. Really a moot point since the flywheel will be ruined anyway.
Thank you for the explanation :cheers:
Old 02-12-2004, 07:42 PM
kman0066
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: Dual Mass Flywheel Resurface? (AS84)

Single mass-conversion, cheaper and faster :D

Get notified of new replies

To Dual Mass Flywheel Resurface?

Quick Reply: Dual Mass Flywheel Resurface?