C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

exhaust leak around my NAPA band clamp that goes around my header/catback

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 03:54 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Default exhaust leak around my NAPA band clamp that goes around my header/catback

I have a slight exhaust leak around my NAPA band clamp that goes around my TPIS long tube header/stock catback junction.

I have 3" diameter intermediate pipes, welded to the stock catback that the TPIS header goes into. A NAPA band clamp secures the slip fit.

I wish I could shove the exhaust pipe further into the TPIS header collector, but since TPIS angled their long tube headers slightly inwards(in anticipation of a y-pipe), this is impossible.

I am going to try to wrap that cheap aluminum muffler tape around the junction and then tighten my exhaust band clamp over top of it?

What would you do?

Any help would be appreciated!!
Old 02-17-2004, 05:36 PM
RichS
Le Mans Master

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

Default Re: exhaust leak around my NAPA band clamp that goes around my header/catback (dizwiz24)

My band clamps leaked a bit also so I use muffler cement on the joints before sliding them together. I tried the muffler tape under the clamps and it's too hot and it just melts and stinks! :U
Old 02-17-2004, 07:37 PM
sn001
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: exhaust leak around my NAPA band clamp that goes around my header/catback (dizwiz24)

I was talking to Trevor at Exotic Muscle about this. He said thay somteimes put header wrap around the joint then clamp it. Says it works great.
Old 02-17-2004, 07:59 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Default Re: exhaust leak around my NAPA band clamp that goes around my header/catback (sn001)

Quote: they sometimes put header wrap around the joint and clamp it.

What I did in the past that worked was cut the bottom out of an open tin can and wraped the clamp around it. That worked too, but when I took off the exhaust to do the clutch, and put it back on again, the tin can method isnt working....

Get notified of new replies

To exhaust leak around my NAPA band clamp that goes around my header/catback

Quick Reply: exhaust leak around my NAPA band clamp that goes around my header/catback