C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

[L98] Step-by-step for removing runners

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2004, 12:12 PM
FlyboyZR1
Drifting

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

Default [L98] Step-by-step for removing runners

I recently posted a thread asking for a step-by-step for removing the plenum, and that turned out fairly easy. Now it's time for the runners.

Some of the bolts look tricky, are there 4 bolts holding each runner? What size torx is needed?

Any tips would be great.
Old 03-20-2004, 12:40 PM
C4-Wolf
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: [L98] Step-by-step for removing runners (FlyboyZR1)

The only real trick to removing the runners is that there are a couple of hidden bolts on the back side ( towards the center of the manifold ) that most people don't notice right off. Other than that, if you already have the plenum off, it should be pretty straight forward for removal.
Old 03-20-2004, 01:08 PM
86PACER
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's the same size torx that you used when you removed your plenum for all runner bolts. You do not have to remove the valve covers to get to the lower bolts. But you can if you want more room. An extension works fine to get those lower ones. The toughest of the hidden bolts in the back of the runner is going to be the last one on the drivers side. I used a small 1/4" ratchet with an extension and a u-joint at the end. I slid the ratchet in through the passangers side after you remove that runner. The main thing that will be blocking you path is the distributor. The first hidded bolt can be accesed by removing the bolt that holds the EGR solenoind to the thermostat housing, then remove the solenoid. That will give you a straight shot at it with an extension from the passanger's side. The most difficult of the outer runner bolts will be the one closest to the firewall on the drivers side. That one can be a P.I.T.A if you have big hands.

Note
Note what bolts went in what holes, they are different lenghts.
That should be it. Good luck.

[Modified by 86PACER, 10:26 AM 3/20/2004]
Old 03-20-2004, 01:15 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

The Torx bolts are the same size as up top but these vary in length so you might want to label them as you remove. You will need a narrow Torx bit to reach the left rear runner bolt or use a long allen key.

You will need to disconnect the 9th injector fuel feed line from the left rear of the fuel rail so you need to remove all pressure from the fuel rail and open the gas tank cap.

You also need to remove the 9th injector from the left runner. Be careful on reassembly as its mounting flange will bend if not seated properly.

When you remove the left runner remember the throttle cable routing as it is easy to get it wrong on reassembly... :bb

BTW, how far into the intake are you going?
Old 03-20-2004, 04:33 PM
FlyboyZR1
Drifting

Default Re: [L98] Step-by-step for removing runners (65Z01)

BTW, how far into the intake are you going?
I was going to remove the runners to clean and paint them, however it seems removing the runners is a bigger job than I had thought. There's not much space to get a torx in the lower middle outer bolts, and I'd rather not mess with removing any injectors. For now I am going to leave them on.
Old 03-20-2004, 05:57 PM
FlyboyZR1
Drifting

Default Re: [L98] Step-by-step for removing runners (65Z01)

Maybe I'll give it a shot.

Do you have to loosen the fuel rails to get the runners out?

Old 03-20-2004, 06:25 PM
86PACER
Le Mans Master

Maybe I'll give it a shot.

Do you have to loosen the fuel rails to get the runners out?
No.
Old 03-20-2004, 06:42 PM
INaband
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI 7-8 Veteran

Default Re: [L98] Step-by-step for removing runners (86PACER)

you dont have to loosen the fuel rail at all, unless you have the cold start injector...I know my 91 doesnt, and I did the whole plenum runner thing... :D
Old 03-20-2004, 06:52 PM
86PACER
Le Mans Master

Default Re: [L98] Step-by-step for removing runners (INaband)

My 86 has the 9th injector. What I do is set the wiring harness that runs along the valve cover aside. This give me plenty of room to swing the injector up, and while manipulating the runner just right, will go over the runners safely. I never have to disconnect it from the back of the fuel rail and relieve the fuel pressure. It takes a little practice, but saves you time when you get the technique down. You guys that have no 9th injector don't have to worry about that. :thumbs:

[Modified by 86PACER, 3:54 PM 3/20/2004]
Old 03-20-2004, 09:09 PM
RonsRed88
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I found a long T40 torx bit helps for getting to those lower runner bolts. There isn't much room for socket adapters and the like. I have one that's 4" long and I also use it for removing my roof panel with an electric screwdriver.

I just removed mine earlier this week when I was replacing my intake gaskets. An even longer one may have been better, maybe 6 inches.

Ron

Get notified of new replies

To [L98] Step-by-step for removing runners

Quick Reply: [L98] Step-by-step for removing runners