C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Flame-Thrower Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 11:13 PM
SFU666
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flame-Thrower Exhaust

Hey, has anyone ever done that flame thrower exhaust setup on their vette or anything. I thought it might be something neat to have (just for the hell of it) on my 86. If anyones got any info, instructions or anything they could post or send me at sfu666@yahoo.com I would appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 04-16-2004, 11:40 PM
JB666
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Flame-Thrower Exhaust (SFU666)

Hey, has anyone ever done that flame thrower exhaust setup on their vette or anything. I thought it might be something neat to have (just for the hell of it) on my 86. If anyones got any info, instructions or anything they could post or send me at sfu666@yahoo.com I would appreciate it. Thanks.
Ummm... No? Flames & Fiberglass don't mix...

Old 04-17-2004, 12:00 AM
fryguy84
Drifting

Default Re: Flame-Thrower Exhaust (JB666)

Ummm... No? Flames & Fiberglass don't mix...
:lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg:
Old 04-17-2004, 12:26 AM
MrNuke
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Flame-Thrower Exhaust (JB666)

Well actualyl if done right the flame doesn't get near the fiberglass..

On the "Pimp My Ride" show they did a mustang with an AWESOMELY done flame setup on teh exhaust. pure afetrburner effect, not the stupid setups kids , punks and ricers do on their cars, which actualylk make s flame out the exhaust licking the rear bumber. (Yes I've seen it at a car show, and everyone was telling the guy (guy in his 40's driving a POS Starion), to move the car before it explodes and takes the other show cars with it.)

They are illegal on ANY road vehicles though.
Old 04-17-2004, 12:40 AM
Chosen Won
Racer

Default Re: Flame-Thrower Exhaust (MrNuke)

Wouldn't the cats stop it from working on a new vehicle? I assume you are talking about the exhaust like they had in the 50s. My dad told me that you used to be able to put a spark plug in the tail pipe, and wire it to a switch to make it work back then. He might have been blowing smoke up my butt though.
Old 04-17-2004, 01:36 AM
BAM92
Safety Car

Default Re: Flame-Thrower Exhaust (Chosen Won)

You are correct Chosen Won. The cars back then didn't burn all the gas off so a spark plug set up in the end of the tail pipe lit off the remaining fuel.
Old 04-17-2004, 10:23 AM
SFU666
Heel & Toe

Default Re: Flame-Thrower Exhaust (BAM92)

ok, so then hows it done??? Ill be running open exhaust (no cats) and I want something like the one Pimp My Ride had on the crustang. I understand a spark plug in the tailpipe, i just want to know the complete set-up. Thanks for all the replies though guys, buit if any of yous could help with this id appreciate it.
Old 04-17-2004, 10:28 AM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Well you would have to have a spark plug in your exhaust. You'd probably have to have an ignition coil to actually arc across the plug. All that's easy. The hard part is that your exhaust has to be rich enough to ignite. If your car is properly tuned that's gonna be hard to do, although it being a little rich at WOT is a good thing, there MIGHT be enough unburnt fuel to set it off.

If you had to tune it that rich all the time you'd be giving up some major performance and gas mileage.
Old 04-17-2004, 10:33 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I used to work with an old hotrodder and he said they used a sparker from a Model T Ford. That was over 20 years ago, so don't quote me :jester
:cheers:
Old 04-17-2004, 10:45 AM
TheCorvetteKid
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Flame-Thrower Exhaust (Nathan Plemons)

You are correct about the spark plug in the exhaust tip, and yes you will need to rig it up with a coil/switch setup to make it arc across the gap.

In older cars, it was easy to get excess fuel out of the exhaust. You either re-jetted the carb, or bolted-up a larger carb. Everytime you "tromped" on the gas, you'd hit the spark-plug switch a couple of times, and voila: your exhaust became a flamethrower for a few seconds

On new cars and fuel injected cars, it's more difficult to do because of the polution control devices (ie. catalytic converters) and the computer controls. What many people do to get around the problem is to install VERY small fuel injectors just down-stream of the spark plugs in their exhaust tips, and wire them up to the same switch. Once they hit the switch, it would fire the injector and arc the plug. You get the same effect, but it consumes ALOT of fuel, and is much more dangerous!

And yes, regardless of how you do it, a flame-thrower exhaust setup is HIGHLY illegal on the street. If you conceal it well and don't use it around cops (duh!) you'll be OK, but I wouldn't want to risk it. There's no real benefit other than impressing teenagers...and if you have a pre '89 car with the Star Wars digital gauges, that'll wow them just as much without the inherent dangers of piping (and igniting) raw fuel into your exhaust stream.
Old 04-17-2004, 11:21 AM
nobodyunknown
Drifting

In the old days they put a manual choke cable on it to richen it up.
Now you have to put an ignition kill switch on it.
So you rev it up then hit the ignition kill while the rpms wind down you hit the sparker.Then turn ignition back on.
Brilliant.
Old 04-17-2004, 12:12 PM
96LT1
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Flame-Thrower Exhaust (nobodyunknown)

There was a show on speed that had the install of a commercially available system. It included all the wiring, ignition coil as well as the lines, injectors and tank to set this up.

A "flame tip" was welded onto the existing exhaust system. The tip had a bung for the spark plug and an injector. The tank (similar to a windshield washer bottle) held the fuel. Pressing the button preloaded the tip with fuel and then hit the spark plug.

Different injector sizes and fuel types (gasoline, alcohol mixes, etc) produced different lengths, sizes and colors of flame.

At the time I thought it was kind of cool. It seems that there are contests in California (of course) at car shows. Not as big as the light and sound contests but just as much enthusiasm.
Old 04-17-2004, 02:07 PM
BowTieBlood
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Flame-Thrower Exhaust (MrNuke)

Well actualyl if done right the flame doesn't get near the fiberglass..

On the "Pimp My Ride" show they did a mustang with an AWESOMELY done flame setup on teh exhaust. pure afetrburner effect, not the stupid setups kids , punks and ricers do on their cars, which actualylk make s flame out the exhaust licking the rear bumber. (Yes I've seen it at a car show, and everyone was telling the guy (guy in his 40's driving a POS Starion), to move the car before it explodes and takes the other show cars with it.)

They are illegal on ANY road vehicles though.

I saw that show as well. Looked great, BUT they did it by rerouting fuel from heading to the ENGINE to the pipe back there to burn. Notice how everytime he pushed the button the engine damn near died? It'd be running great w/that v-8 sound then start stumbling down near death, then as soon as they let off the button again, back to its great sound. I think they're set up was terrible, just looked good. :cheers:

[Modified by BowTieBlood, 1:07 PM 4/17/2004]
Old 04-17-2004, 02:33 PM
PUREC4
Racer

Default Re: Flame-Thrower Exhaust (BowTieBlood)

Sorry Guy but "PIMP MY RIDE" says it all for me :rolleyes:
They are cool on a 50's Merc. But you got a Vette man. Just my .02 :seeya
Old 04-17-2004, 03:55 PM
KurtK
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Why not a big wing instead? Easier to install! :D
Old 04-17-2004, 08:45 PM
SFU666
Heel & Toe

Default Re: Flame-Thrower Exhaust

nuff said by all. it is an old school 50's merc sorta deal. I was just curious about it. Id rather spend my time, energy, and money on something to make my vette or racecar faster. Thanks for the input guys.
Old 04-17-2004, 09:34 PM
eschoendorff
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Why?! Why?! Why?! I mean, it's your car... but seriously, I would urge you to reconsider this project. Don't get me wrong, it's a cool "what if?" for daydreaming, but I don't think that the effect you will get will outweigh the pain and carnage and anguish of actually making the flame-thrower exhaust a reality on your Corvette. Just my .02. Now go and do what makes you happy... ;)

OOPS... didn't catch your previous post. Glad you came top your senses! :rofl:

[Modified by eschoendorff, 2:35 AM 4/18/2004]

Get notified of new replies

To Flame-Thrower Exhaust

Old 04-18-2004, 02:13 AM
CaliforniaVette
Instructor

Default Re: Flame-Thrower Exhaust (KurtK)

Why not a big wing instead? Easier to install! :D
:lol:
Old 04-18-2004, 01:13 PM
GREENNV
Intermediate

Default Re: Flame-Thrower Exhaust (CaliforniaVette)

if you go to the TRUCKS website, the show on TNN. They did a show about a year ago on putting flames on a never vehicle. They still might have the venders name that the flame thrower exhaust kit comes from. From what I remember the kit was under 100$. But you can't run cats with it
Old 04-18-2004, 01:18 PM
GREENNV
Intermediate

Default Re: Flame-Thrower Exhaust (GREENNV)

It comes with a little computer chip that sends extra fuel only when the car is under full throttle, so it works when your just reving your engine or if your ***** to the wall.

Quick Reply: Flame-Thrower Exhaust