C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Do I need to prelube my Hydraulic Roller Cam?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2001, 10:17 PM
NoWorries
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys, I want to finish the motor tomorrow, but the cam kit didn't come with the lubricant for the lobes...is this necessary for a Hydraulic roller, or did this go out with flat-tappet?

Thanks.

Old 07-26-2001, 10:25 PM
nobodyunknown
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You still need to lube the cam bearings.
So I think you have to do the entire cam.
Never heard of not doing it.
Couldnt hurt doing it.
Sure would suck if you were supposed to & didnt.
Old 07-26-2001, 10:39 PM
89 Bob L
Burning Brakes

The lobes should be lubed.
Old 07-26-2001, 10:43 PM
NoWorries
Race Director

Thanks guys, if you look left, you'll see I'm from the Grand Canyon, which puts me 51 miles from the nearest auto-parts store.

I guess I'll go for a road trip tomorrow.
Old 07-26-2001, 11:01 PM
Bill Reid
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

YES!!! All surfaces need prelube. Too bad I didn't know when you were down here a couple of weeks ago... I have a bottle of Child's & Albert assembly lube I coulda let you borrow. Keep us posted Canyon
Old 07-27-2001, 01:00 AM
Ray Zavorka
Pro

When I build an engine, I lubricate everything. The cam and lifters are one of the most important things to pre lube.

Bye, the way, get yourself one of the tools that go in the distributor hole to spin the oil pump with an electric drill so that everything get primed and all of the gallerys get filled before engine start up....

Ray

Old 07-27-2001, 02:28 AM
Jay Axson
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Ray Zavorka:
[B
When I build an engine, I lubricate everything. The cam and lifters are one of the most important things to pre lube.

Bye, the way, get yourself one of the tools that go in the distributor hole to spin the oil pump with an electric drill so that everything get primed and all of the gallerys get filled before engine start up....

Ray

[/B][/color]
I agree, priming the oil pump and block is extremely important! Don't start a fresh rebuild with out spinning the oil pump for a few minutes first.

My very first job was rebuilding engines. There was defiantly an art to what lubricant to use in what spot. White grease was our friend in all the critical areas.

I wish I could remember all the where, when, and what's as this was a long time ago.

But it would be pretty cool to slap one together again! [img]http]//www.corvetteforum.cc/ubb/smile.gif[/img] I really have the itch to bang a piston into a freashly boared cylinder again.

Jay
92 Lt1

Jay
92 LT1
Old 07-27-2001, 02:52 AM
AquaMetallic94LT1
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see the motor is almost ready to go. Good deal. The recommedations from the cam mfr is to put the assembly lube on the cam journals and high pressure lube on the distributor gear at the back of the cam. The lobes on the roller should be lubed with engine oil. You should have some engine lube that is left over from installing the bottom end components.

Pre lubing is a good idea. Oil pump spins clockwise. Your going to need the correct prelube shaft assy so that oil will be directed to all parts of the engine. Be careful not to fry your drill when you do it.

Old 07-27-2001, 08:53 AM
FU
NCM Lifetime # 982
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Spinning the oil pump is a must. Very easy and rewarding job. Put cam lube on the lobe's only. Use engine oil for the cam bearings.
HTH

Old 07-27-2001, 09:37 AM
MrJay
Burning Brakes

You have to lube the cam bearings, just use oil on them, because you have a roller it will not hurt if you dont lube the lobes because they dont have to lapin like the others, I would put the lifters in oil for about a day before you put everyting to gether and then put white lube on the cam bottom then you put the chain on.
It is best if you can prelube the engine before you start it, if you have a old distributor you can just take everything of the top (just use the shaft)and use it to spinn the pump.

Old 07-27-2001, 09:58 AM
nobodyunknown
Drifting

If you dont use an old dist.& do use a priming shaft,you'll get oil all over the back of the motor.The oil pump shoots the oil straight up.Spin slow & careful if you dont want a mess.
Old 07-27-2001, 10:18 AM
Arisa
Race Director

Quick question to the "builders" out there.

How would I pre-oil the LT4 ??? I don't have a distrubutor (well sorta)????

Thanks

Neal

Old 07-27-2001, 11:09 AM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Arisa
Quick question to the "builders" out there.

How would I pre-oil the LT4 ??? I don't have a distrubutor (well sorta)????

Thanks

Neal

[/color]
In the back of the lifter valley you will see a black thingy that'll just lift out, this is what actually drives the oil pump via the cam. You can get the tool and use the drill trick with it, the problem is that you have to do it with the intake off.

Old 07-27-2001, 10:59 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

TEST
Old 07-27-2001, 11:02 PM
JAKE
Le Mans Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Compcams says to use engine oil on the lifters and cam lobes. Assembly lube and cam lube are too thick and will not reach the lifters' bearings properly.

This could result in early wear and failure later.

Crane specifically recommends AGAINST pre-lubing hydraulic lifters by leaving them in an oil bath overnight or pumping them with a pushrod/screwdriver, etc. to fill the lifter with oil. Crane says doing this can cause incorrect lifter preload during the adjustment process.

All you need do is lube the base of the lifters, the camshaft lobes and bearing journals.

Jake

Old 07-27-2001, 11:42 PM
Ray Zavorka
Pro

Originally Posted by JAKE
Compcams says to use engine oil on the lifters and cam lobes. Assembly lube and cam lube are too thick and will not reach the lifters' bearings properly.

This could result in early wear and failure later.

Jake

The cam manufacturers are on target when they say to use engine oil on the lobes and rollers... The problem with this, However, is that many builders allow a considerable period of time between build up and run up. This often being the case, I disagree with the suggestion to use engine oil because it will drip off into the pan and all that will remain is a thin film at best. For this reason, I prefer to use the white lube or something like STP or GM's oil supliment if they still make it.

Ray
[/color]

Old 07-28-2001, 04:47 AM
NoWorries
Race Director

Thanks guys, I assembled with White Lithium grease. The motor would almost be done if I had the right timing set.

I put the heads on out of frustration, and the engine bay is all prepped.

Get notified of new replies

To Do I need to prelube my Hydraulic Roller Cam?

Quick Reply: Do I need to prelube my Hydraulic Roller Cam?