C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Strange problem with headlight motors. Need help.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2001, 08:43 PM
kola
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1986 convertible.

I was having problems with my headlights: driver's side would go up and down while driving with headlights on and passenger side would not go down until a few minutes after I turn the headlights off.

I removed the motors from the headlight assemblies to install new gears. Before taking the motors apart I decided to test the motors by re-connecting the headlight motors to the headlight motor connectors. I tried the driver's side motor on the passenger side and vice versa.

Both the driver's and passenger's side motors had the same results:

When connected to driver's side, the motor ran when the light switch was in the off position, but did nothing when the light switch was in the on position. (so if the headlight assembly was attached, the headlight would go into the closed position but not the open position)

When connected to the passenger's side, the motor ran fine when the light switch was on the on position, but the motor ran VERY slow when the light switch was in the off position. (so if the headlight assembly was attached, the headlight would open fine but close very slowly)

The problem does not appear to be in the motors. Both the driver's and passenger's side motors work well to close the headlight when hooked up to the driver's side but not when hooked up to the passenger's side. And both the driver's and passenger's side motors work well to open the headlight when hooked upt to the passenger's side but not when hooked up to the driver's side.

The long and the short of it is that the driver's headlight will not pop up and the passenger's headlight will not go down.

I NEED HELP.

thanks

Old 07-28-2001, 10:37 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Headlight Relays maybe?

You still might want to open the headlight motors to at least clean the dried up grease and replace it with fresh. Might save you a rebuild later.

Old 07-29-2001, 12:00 AM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Its the head light relay im not to sure where yours are but on my 89 its on the drivers side in front of the wheel well it is bolted to the front of the wheel well and has two wire conections running in to it that was what my problem was my pass side light wouldnt work but it worked on the driver side conection so i replaced that relay and it works ....
good luck
jp

Old 07-29-2001, 01:14 AM
jfb
Team Owner

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

There are 3 relays that connect power to the headlight motors for open and closed position. The third relay is called the isolation relay and is responsible for closing the RH headlight door and probably has worn out relay contacts and is the reason your RH door closes so slowly. I would replace the isolation relay which is on the left side ahead of the wheel well and has a grey, yellow, black, and a red wire on its socket (from my 87 electrical manual, your wire color may be different). Your motors acted incorrectly when tried on the opposite side because the plug wiring is different on each side.
Old 07-30-2001, 06:05 PM
kola
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there any way to test the relays? I don't want to purchase them and find out they are not the problem.

Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Strange problem with headlight motors. Need help.

Quick Reply: Strange problem with headlight motors. Need help.