C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Anyone remove the ASR from thier car?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2001, 01:42 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I'd love to get rid of the traction control, it's annoying when I forget to turn it off, and it's extra weight for no reason. Is it possible to remove the system without having to reprogram or re-do anything else on the car?

[This message has been edited by ScaryFast (edited 07-30-2001).]
Old 07-30-2001, 05:45 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

uh, your nuts, right?

You cannot "remove" the ASR without taking the ABS with it...

also, don't even think of driving one of these things in the rain without ASR... beleive me... the first lane change, rear first, that you do without wanting to, will make you wish you still had ASR...

If you really wanted to get rid of it, remove/modify the servo that plays with the throttle...

Old 07-30-2001, 06:24 PM
Justin Scherer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For a '92 6-speed anyway;

Under the hood, on the left engine bank is a box labeled "ASR". Under it is a plug. Disconnect it. You "ASR" is now dead until you plug it back in (and this will not effect your braking system in any way). The unplugging of ASR, however, will cause a warning light to display on your dash. Put a small piece of black tape over just that one light and then buy an aftermarket smoked glass "Information Cover" and snap it in place on your console. This will let all the other lights shine through but block only your "bad" lights. The tape is virtually invisible behind the smoked "Information Cover" glass.
http://www.ecklers.com/dept.asp?dept_id=1600
ASR is now gone until you sell the car (or it snows). Can't think of any other time you might need it. Its a BLAST!
Total cost: about $35
Total time: about 3 minutes
Old 07-30-2001, 06:26 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

My car sees nothing but sunny days. The only time I actually drove it in the rain was once when my Jeep was in the shop for a recall and I got caught away from home.

Besides, I have much bigger issues with inclement weather than traction control, such as zero ground clearance and tires with no tread. It's a track car, mostly, although it's still street legal.

Even that one time, I still disabled ASR, as I'm a much better driver than the computer is. I do need ABS, however, so if they're hopelessly linked than I guess I'm in a bit of trouble. Where is the servo that jerks the pedal? I'll pull that off in a heartbeat!

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone remove the ASR from thier car?

Quick Reply: Anyone remove the ASR from thier car?