C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

ECM upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2004, 10:35 PM
LarryK 87
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ECM upgrade?

am planning an engine upgrade (383/406) and was curious what anyone thinks about upgrading the ECM as well. How much trouble is it to replace the OBDI with an OBDII computer, my reasons are it would seem the OBDII computer is easier to program ( changing parameters on the fly so to speak) with out having to burn a new PROM based on new tuning parameters etc...

Any thoughts anyone?

BTW this would be on an 87 coupe with 700r4 trans ( would also allow me to change to the 4L60E trans to change shift points etc as well)
Old 12-31-2004, 11:16 PM
Former Ford Boy
Advanced

I don't think that it's worth it. It's my understanding that the systems are quite different. There are some sensor differences (i'll have to get back with you about what they are) OBDII is much more sensitive to changes to your car. Any mods to the engine could be interpreted by the computer as a malfunction and force a check engine light (and therefore a default program for the motor that is designed for emissions complaince and protecting the motor). It is very easy to reprogram OBDII ECMs, but you'll have to do it more often if you modify your car often.

Another issue is that your car is a distributor car, the OBDII cars all have the Opti-spark system.

Just my opinion. It and 50 cents still won't get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks.
Old 01-01-2005, 12:48 AM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,017 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Dont even think about changing to OBDII, thats just crazy. If you want a computer upgrade, look at Accel DFI 7, not an OBDII computer system.
Old 01-01-2005, 02:39 AM
RonRed89
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LarryK 87
BTW this would be on an 87 coupe with 700r4 trans ( would also allow me to change to the 4L60E trans to change shift points etc as well)
You'd have to change transmissions to get electronic control of shift points. The BigStuff3 ECU can control the 4L80E natively. Otherwise, you'll have to use the TCI controller to control the 4L60E. Trying to upgrade to an GM OBD2 ECU will likely cost you more than a standalone system once all of the custom work is said and done.

Ron
Old 01-01-2005, 03:16 AM
JCAIRE2
Le Mans Master

http://www.moates.net/product_info.p...products_id=55

No need for OBDII, just get the product in the link above and you can do real time on the fly tuning to OBDI systems.

Get notified of new replies

To ECM upgrade?

Quick Reply: ECM upgrade?