C4 ZR-1 Discussion General ZR-1 Corvette Discussion, LT5 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track

Admiral 94 comes home. Finally ! :). Let the mods begin !!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 11:53 PM
5abivt
Safety Car

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Dominic Sorresso
I think you'll really want a sprung hub disc w the Fidanza.
disc is sprung
Old 11-14-2014, 11:53 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts

I want your car
Old 11-15-2014, 08:22 AM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by 1993C4LT1
I want your car
Yes, we all do!

Marty
Old 11-15-2014, 08:36 AM
Dominic Sorresso
Le Mans Master

Received 691 Likes on 425 Posts

Originally Posted by 5abivt
disc is sprung
Yes, I see that now. Missed that one pic.
Old 11-18-2014, 03:37 PM
5abivt
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 1993C4LT1
I want your car
Originally Posted by DRM500RUBYZR-1
Yes, we all do!

Marty

Originally Posted by Dominic Sorresso
Yes, I see that now. Missed that one pic.

Minor update.. I have never crimped before and I got a new tool to do it so I was practicing. I also watched youtube videos and got some great tips from the facebook page on soldering. I wanted to make sure my connections were very good and to do both. I have some quality heat shrink on order im hoping itll arrive before the plenum goes back on.

First attempt Over crimped and I tried using a soldering iron. Not the best way to do it but hey I had to learn sometime!

first attempt.. don't laugh..

After several attempts and sacrificed ring terminals I managed to create my own modified die to do a decent crimp. And then I used a propane torch to solder... and wow that was a hell of a great feeling seeing that rosen core solder suck right into the terminal and fill up at the top. All connections are like this now.

Ended up taping the entire wire just for the hell of it. I bought a giant pack of high temp electrical tape so I decided to finally use it !

2 ground straps.. block to ground and battery to ground. both grounds are on the frame rail. Sanded down and then touched up with a bit of paint on top after bolting them down.

ALmost looks messy ! One is a power wire for the amp that I routed through the drivers side rocker and exits before the rear wheel. Ill be drilling through one of the storage bins and using a firewall grommet to get wire to the inside. one wire is power right from the alternator and the other 2 are grounds, one from alternator and the other to the frame. Maybe overkill but there's no harm besides a little time, little cost and peace of mind of having a well grounded and efficient setup.

AC and alternator are back on. ALternator will be replaced soon with a billet unit (150 or 170 amp not sure yet)

Spent last night washing the plenum and His. bottle brush.. dawn and power wash too.

All washed up !

This morning my wife was feeling that it was a little hot in the house. Not sure why
Old 11-18-2014, 03:42 PM
5abivt
Safety Car

This came in the mail too It was a must have mod for me. Now I have the harness bar, frame stiffeners and the camber brace ! All that's left is a 6 pt cage that I plan to do for both cars but I have no idea what those will cost and probably wont happen for a year or two.

Old 12-15-2014, 10:18 AM
5abivt
Safety Car

Some more updates !! WInter is here but Im still hoping to get out for a few rips and make some videos on the gopro before I change the oil and park it. And then more mods will start lol. I may be pulling the wheels apart to do something different and the stereo work will most likely be completed over the winter. Still not sure wtf to do about the front enclosures etc and I have to cut the door panels for the tweet etc etc

SO far.. Ive run the power for the amp through the outside of the car through the drivers rocker sill. It will be tucked and zip tied close to the floor and invisible and I drilled into the drivers side storage bin and used firewall bushings. Hanging loose for now..

Originality? meh. One size fits all underwear isn't for me

Love it when the wife throws a carpet out Makes it nice especially in the winter.

I did the stereo while I waited for new injector housing gaskets. I accidentally tore one while fiddling with the vent hoses. what a pita those are and seems the easiest way is to put them on the ih.. line them up on the vent box as you put the IHs in place on the head

New gaskets seemed to cover up the new larger ports a little. I marked the sides that needed to be enlarged. I ordered a gasket punch kit and used it to enlarge the holes. The gasket on the right was not used :/

Last edited by 5abivt; 12-15-2014 at 10:24 AM.
Old 12-15-2014, 10:23 AM
5abivt
Safety Car

My new billet DC alternator also showed up. I think its a 180 amp or 170 I forget. Its a hairpin 6 phase unit so much more efficient and lots more output. I touched it up the way I wanted, soldered in the new harness with the required wires and rerouted the harness a little. With some washers it fits great. It does have a sidepost but I think.. it now makes removal easier with the plenum on so Ill keep it this way. Rear post was asked for but DC messed up but it is an option. WIth the big 4 wiring upgrade and the alternator.. all that's left is a optima or other battery and all accessories and the electrical system should be very happy from now on.

Wont add too many pics but heres where Im up to now. IH's on and torqued and things are looking pretty !! Just need to get the fuel rails on and figure out this vaccum line stuff and then the plenum goes on !!

Old 12-23-2014, 09:24 AM
5abivt
Safety Car

Rerouting some lines, heat shrinking some vaccum connection ends and going over all the connections in my mind before plenum install but almost ready for fire up !!!

Old 12-23-2014, 09:28 AM
-=Jeff=-
Race Director

Received 171 Likes on 148 Posts

So what are your plans for the stereo system in the car?
Old 12-23-2014, 10:05 AM
5abivt
Safety Car

Originally Posted by -=Jeff=-
So what are your plans for the stereo system in the car?
Plans have been the same as I posted earlier. All the parts have been sitting since before I even picked up the car last year ! Only roadblock I feel I have is how Im going to get the front 5 1/4 to fit into the bose enclosure and be able to seal it off. the factory woofer there has a unique shape and a round speaker like I have doesn't seal when screwed down. If it wasn't for feeling lost with what Ill do with that front enclosure I probably would have finished the stereo by now !!

For now the plan is to finish the wire to the rear and leave the fuses out at the battery. Ill be cleaning that up and leaving the wires loose in the abs compartment until I can get to the stereo. SInce I probably can count the days left to drive the car on two hands before real snow andmore salt goes down Im going to try and get the plenum on and get it fired up and at least driven for an entire day to break in the cutch and get the oil changed and park it. Then I can pull the seats and bring them inside where Ill recondition them and decide how far I want to go with dynomat material on the entire floor and in the doors etc. The head unit is pretty much fitted, I just have to find an ign for it and run a power and ground direct to the battery. After that its just all rcas out to the back for the amp and the sub tube and running speaker wires to the components. Ill also be drilling the door panels for the tweeters like on my 93.
Old 12-26-2014, 12:25 AM
illenema
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Love the rear rims/tires on the wide *** zr-1!
Old 12-28-2014, 09:40 AM
billy mild
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

How bad are your seats? My seats need some love, but I don't know what to do with them.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:46 PM
5abivt
Safety Car

Originally Posted by illenema
Love the rear rims/tires on the wide *** zr-1!
Thanks !!
Originally Posted by billy mild
How bad are your seats? My seats need some love, but I don't know what to do with them.
My seats are in pretty good shape. I plan to pull then over the winter to just clean and massage leather conditioner into them to try and soften them up. The passenger side seat is pretty new. The drivers side has a few wrinkles from use but no tears etc.

Only other update for now is plenum is on! Everything is buttoned up. I re-routed some lines and spent the last few chances I got in the garage to play with stainless line. Triple checked all the connections best I could and should be ready to fire up tonight or tomorrow !!

Still much detail work I plan on doing underhood but for now I need to get it on the ground .. Get the coolant in, break in the clutch , change the oil and park it. Then I can work on the insides. Not before I get a few videos

Old 12-29-2014, 06:12 PM
5abivt
Safety Car

Fired up !!! WOHOO !!

There was some clatter at startup that had me worried. There was some ticking that took a minute to quiet down and dissapear but now she's silent and smooth.

Hopefully driving tonight !!

Old 12-29-2014, 06:18 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Oh yeah, have a good new years and be safe

Last edited by 1993C4LT1; 12-29-2014 at 08:30 PM.
Old 12-29-2014, 06:28 PM
Black 03 Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 540 Likes on 390 Posts

Very, very nice.

Get notified of new replies

To Admiral 94 comes home. Finally ! :). Let the mods begin !!

Old 12-29-2014, 08:14 PM
Dynomite
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by 5abivt
Fired up !!! WOHOO !!

There was some clatter at startup that had me worried. There was some ticking that took a minute to quiet down and dissapear but now she's silent and smooth.

Hopefully driving tonight !!

1994 5ABIVT ZR-1 Fired up after 5 months !! - YouTube
Yep.....sounds very nice for sure

Great Job.....thanks for letting us watch
And....Have a Great New Year
Old 01-17-2015, 10:12 PM
5abivt
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Dynomite
Yep.....sounds very nice for sure

Great Job.....thanks for letting us watch
And....Have a Great New Year
Thx !! Not much of an update for now I've been fiddling with the front Bose enclosures and I think I have it figured out.. Will post pics soon. Will pull the seats out and start the cleaning reconditioning. Usually helps a bit especially to soften the leather up plus I need the room to start running all the speaker wire inside the car. I'm talking to a custom enclosure builder and someone who can make tweeter pods on the a pillar but I'm still thinking to just cut the door panels for the tweets. I really like how it looks and sounds in my 93 car. Found someone on Instagram I like for leather wrapping.. Getting ideas to wrap the entire door panels and dashboard lol (!!!!)

Short revving video.. Still looking for a bit of weather so I can take her out and drive it around help break in the clutch and warm the oil and fill the tank and put it away after changing the oil. Doesn't seem to be happening but spring isn't too far away !

Thoughts are now focused on removing the cats and doing something to change the sound a little .. Ideas ideas just not enough time and $$ lol

Happy new year everyone !

http://youtu.be/a1ejcBkzfCU
Old 01-17-2015, 10:25 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

I've thought about the leather for door panels and dash to. Car sounds great

Quick Reply: Admiral 94 comes home. Finally ! :). Let the mods begin !!