C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Highlights of riding with Andy from A&A...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2005, 02:37 AM
Asphalt Animal
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Highlights of riding with Andy from A&A...

Dropped my car off at Andy's about a week ago to pull my vortech supercharged 346, install a 427 C5R, and do some other miscellaneous things (of course ). I guess you could say I'm the reason he now has a 440ci in his C6 (poor Andy ).

For me, the 427 has always been my favorite engine. I've always enjoyed the performance and nostalgia so when he made me a deal on a C5R, I couldn't pass it up. To be honest I truly wasn't sure whether I wanted to go NA or FI on the new engine, so Andy took me on a few closed course rides ( ) to help me make my decision...

The first ride was in his 440 NA C6. For me, the highlight of this car was the amount of torque it produced. This thing has more torque than anything I have ever driven or been driven in. Andy could literally throw me back into his seats at the touch of his throttle. We're talking violent whiplash here. An awesome ride, very fast with strong power that kept pulling throughout the RPM spectrum.

The second ride was in a 408 NA C5. This car seemed like the ideal daily driver. It felt as if it had more power on the bottom end than my 346 FI and about the same amount of power up top. This car felt as if it had solid power throughout the RPM spectrum without anything extreme. Another awesome ride.

The third ride was in a 427 with a F1R. This was what I was contemplating with my new engine, either an F1R or a high torque NA build. In a word, the F1R 427 was "ridiculous" (I mean that as in, ). Understanding that this car was tubbed and had 335's the traction was almost nonexistent. The best analogy I can give is to say, imagine driving with slicks on ice...you touch the throttle and the tires spin, regardless of what gear or what speed. . It would have been nice to see what this car can do on a truly open road. I think I just shook my head the entire ride .

But given Andy's assistance, my decision was to go with a high torque NA 427. I'm kind of surprised I went this route, I've always been a high HP guy but after riding in Andy's 440, I think I fell in love with torque. It should be ready for pick-up any day and I'm eager to compare my new car to Andy's 440. . Thought everyone would enjoy a few brief "ride along" stories...
Old 05-26-2005, 02:55 AM
vettethret
Melting Slicks

What was our rear wheel horsepower/torque with the vortech set up? Given the limited traction with street tires do you think "on the street" that your supercharged set up would be faster than the 427 since the power is higher in the rpms? Nice write up.
Old 05-26-2005, 03:03 AM
Asphalt Animal
Racer

Originally Posted by vettethret
What was our rear wheel horsepower/torque with the vortech set up? Given the limited traction with street tires do you think "on the street" that your supercharged set up would be faster than the 427 since the power is higher in the rpms? Nice write up.
The vortech set-up was about 550/480. In terms of "on the street" I really don't know. From the feel of the cars, I believe Andy's 440 NA would walk away from my 346 FI all day long. At least it "felt" that way, but torque is deceiving as you feel like it's faster even when it's not - if that makes sense. I'll definitely do my own testing once I have the car back .

It's interesting, I spent the better part of the day riding and talking with Andy to make sure I got the set-up I wanted. One of his first questions was, "do you want a huge dyno chart? or do you want the car to 'feel' fast?" I had to break my large dyno = high hp = faster car mentality in order to understand the torque / hp trade-off. It's safe to say Andy gave me an education along with a few thrills!!

Last edited by Asphalt Animal; 05-26-2005 at 03:14 AM.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:49 AM
Corvette4ever
Drifting

Received 89 Likes on 76 Posts

427 yeah baby Good luck

Why are you converting from a blown 346 to a 427? was there anything wrong with the old setup?
Old 05-26-2005, 05:55 AM
IMXCITD
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 307 Likes on 290 Posts

That's great! Congrats!
Old 05-26-2005, 08:00 AM
mdhmi
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very sweet. How aggressive do you plan on making your NA 427?

Mark
Old 05-26-2005, 09:32 AM
NEPTUNEBILL
Melting Slicks

I traded my 346 with 550/495 for a stroker as well and prefer the more predictable power and the torque is amazing even though comparing my 2 dyno charts they were very close all the way through the range, so my power curve was very close but I don't have any additional things to deal with that come with FI like hoses, IC's, blower pumps, belts etc. The old saying that if you can get the power you want NA take it really applies--
Old 05-26-2005, 10:02 AM
mdhmi
Team Owner

Instead you have problems with massive oil consumption, etc..

Mark
Old 05-26-2005, 10:16 AM
XCELER8
Le Mans Master

You said the Tq was great in the 440ci. Well, how did the 427F1R compare TQ wise.
Jon
Old 05-26-2005, 10:34 AM
corvettebob1
Melting Slicks

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Just remember there's "no free lunch".
N/A has it's problems but there's been a bunch more R&D done on it then any other type of setups.
And not all stroker motors have massave oil consumption problems.
Blower engines have belt and piping issues, pretty much sorted out now.
TT cars are cool but they have their own set of issues, heat is a major factor and so is engine and turbo life due to oil cokeing.
Not to mention tuning issues, and major $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
So it all depends on how you pick your poison!
Old 05-26-2005, 10:52 AM
kumar75150
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mdhmi
Instead you have problems with massive oil consumption, etc..

Mark
u crack me up
Old 05-26-2005, 10:57 AM
mdhmi
Team Owner

I'm not dissing big cube NA setups, I'm just trying to point out that all combos have their pros / cons.

Mark
Old 05-26-2005, 12:44 PM
MIKE-C5
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'08
Default A&A

Congratulations on the new set up, Andy will take care of you........as long as he is not in TEXAS investing California $$$$$$$$..............
Old 05-26-2005, 03:18 PM
Asphalt Animal
Racer

Originally Posted by Corvette4ever
427 yeah baby Good luck

Why are you converting from a blown 346 to a 427? was there anything wrong with the old setup?
No, nothing wrong with the "old set-up" only has about 2000 miles on it...I just wanted more consistent power throughout the RPM spectrum as opposed to the high RPM boost power.

Last edited by Asphalt Animal; 05-26-2005 at 03:38 PM.
Old 05-26-2005, 03:19 PM
Asphalt Animal
Racer

Very sweet. How aggressive do you plan on making your NA 427?

Mark
Well, I'm somewhat (severely) limited by CA smog but I should have over 500 rwhp and rwtq. I have a feeling I'll have more TQ than my 346 and less HP but I'm hoping to keep my HP the same and increase my torque.

Last edited by Asphalt Animal; 05-26-2005 at 03:45 PM.
Old 05-26-2005, 03:20 PM
Asphalt Animal
Racer

Originally Posted by NEPTUNEBILL
I traded my 346 with 550/495 for a stroker as well and prefer the more predictable power and the torque is amazing even though comparing my 2 dyno charts they were very close all the way through the range, so my power curve was very close but I don't have any additional things to deal with that come with FI like hoses, IC's, blower pumps, belts etc. The old saying that if you can get the power you want NA take it really applies--
That's what I'm hoping for, about the same HP with significantly more TQ with the NA worries over the FI worries.
Old 05-26-2005, 03:24 PM
Asphalt Animal
Racer

Originally Posted by XCELER8
You said the Tq was great in the 440ci. Well, how did the 427F1R compare TQ wise.
Jon
I don't remember the exact dyno numbers from each of the 3 cars (Andy could tell you for sure). From what I remember the 427 F1R made about 750 rwhp and a little over 700 rwtq and Andy's 440 made about 530 rwhp and 510 rwtq. How did it feel? To be honest it felt as if the F1R had no torque at all. Because the power was instant, you could literally bounce off of the rev limiter BEFORE the pedal hit the metal. That combined with traction being almost nonexistent made it really hard to feel any torque. With dripping hot slicks and an open road, I'd imagine it would feel like a small rocket. But between the 3 cars Andy's 440 had significantly more whiplash torque. But keep in mind, we're talking about Andy's personal car which I'm sure is built and tuned perfectly...

Last edited by Asphalt Animal; 05-26-2005 at 03:59 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Highlights of riding with Andy from A&A...

Old 05-26-2005, 03:27 PM
Asphalt Animal
Racer

Originally Posted by corvettebob1
Just remember there's "no free lunch".
N/A has it's problems but there's been a bunch more R&D done on it then any other type of setups.
And not all stroker motors have massave oil consumption problems.
Blower engines have belt and piping issues, pretty much sorted out now.
TT cars are cool but they have their own set of issues, heat is a major factor and so is engine and turbo life due to oil cokeing.
Not to mention tuning issues, and major $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
So it all depends on how you pick your poison!
Absolutely. I really didn't have any issues with my vortech set-up (other than the occasional belt chirping). All engines will have their unique set of difficulties, I'm just hoping to keep my HP and increase my torque without going FI...time will tell.
Old 05-26-2005, 03:28 PM
Asphalt Animal
Racer

I'm not dissing big cube NA setups, I'm just trying to point out that all combos have their pros / cons.

Mark
Agreed.
Old 05-26-2005, 03:29 PM
Asphalt Animal
Racer

Originally Posted by mikes99corvette
Congratulations on the new set up, Andy will take care of you........as long as he is not in TEXAS investing California $$$$$$$$..............

Quick Reply: Highlights of riding with Andy from A&A...