C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pros and Cons Of PTK and TTiX Kit

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2006, 06:31 AM
2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pros and Cons Of PTK and TTiX Kit

Please do not turn this into a "my turbo is bigger thread"

Im fixing to buy a kit but I am having a hard time deciding which one to get. Please list the pros and cons of both kits.

I know the PTK is a top mount and I know the TTiX is a bottom mount but what would make me buy one over the other? Especially since they PTK is 20% off right now.

If you have either kit please chime in and tell us how you like it.
Old 01-15-2006, 09:01 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Either Kit appears to be proven and excellent and I would think whether you want to see all the plumbing for a WOW and Bling effect, etc. (which i prefer) would be a big factor in you final decisoin. For what's it worth as i am sure you have seen, there is a KILLER DEAL for $6K on a Stage I TTI for sale right now on the FS section by KINGPIN and that is a supercheap way to get yourself a proven kit right off the bat (cheaper than a new Supercharger Set-up). Also, their was that reason huge thread still going i believe regarding the pros and cons of the TTI Kit which should be right on point as to the info you are seeking.

I know what it feels like when you have it narrowed down to two f/i options and are really perplexed as to which way to go. This is exacly how I felt when i had my SC choice down to the Maggie vs. ECS Procharger set up (which i went with) and getting all the info you can in helping you make the right decision is important (when it comes to making a huge decision for your Z06 like this).

Take a close look at KINGKINS killer Stage I TTI kit for $6K for complete kit:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/sho...054&forum_id=53
Old 01-15-2006, 09:40 AM
IM QUIKR
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The good news is, you can always change your mind later. We're always yanking our power adders off to try something different so you can sell yours and buy someone elses until you are happy for a net $0 loss (except for tuning). Just like Jimmy said, King pin and ICULUKIN-C5 are both in a race to sell their setups and they both produce 600+ rwhp. The bonus is, they are selling them for half the price of the new stage X kit. Leaves some money for tranny and differential strengthening.

I know PTK is a killer power adder but putting that heat so close to hood just isn't for me and turbochargers don't exactly look bling after they start rusting and leaking oil in a few months and that's even if you can see them from all sheilding that's needed to protect everything else from the heat. It all depends on what your desired end results are.

STC has an HP knock-off that has good power potential. I'm not sure what the long term results will be from hanging 20 lbs turbos 2 feet away from the Aluminum cylinder heads supported by SS headers. I'd think something would break eventually.
Good luck in your journey to the dark side.

Last edited by IM QUIKR; 01-15-2006 at 09:44 AM.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:09 AM
NICK YOSKIN
Le Mans Master

Received 74 Likes on 46 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

[IMG][IMG][IMG][/IMG] [IMG][/IMG] ][/IMG]

i lovem all first of all!!

i wanted to be able to drop jaws too, that is why i went w/ptk.
its power potential is obvouis www.nick.neptune.com

20 % is substantial discount too!!
Old 01-15-2006, 10:09 AM
Z_Rocks
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I was in FI market and at first I was looking at TT, My options were LPE, TTi x and [maybe] STS for the turbo setup and ECS for S/C. If you have the money go with LPE, period! If not, the next best, would be the TTi x. I talked extensively with George (the owner), very nice guy and prompt, and he knows what he is doing and what he wants. Talked to people who have it and they love the product’s fit and finish and it's performance. Get ready to spend more money to get every part needed to finish the job. With clutch, probably around $15K. These two would be my choices for TT.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:14 AM
2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
Drifting

Thanks for all the replys so far.

I did see king pins tt for sale but Im wanting a little more flexablity out of the kit plus with 20% off ptk systems it makes it really hard not to buy new.

Hey Nick, Do you have any heat problems with your setup. It looks great
Old 01-15-2006, 10:21 AM
NICK YOSKIN
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '08

[QUOTE=IM QUIKR]The.

I know PTK is a killer power adder but putting that heat so close to hood just isn't for me and turbochargers don't exactly look bling after they start rusting and leaking oil in a few months and that's even if you can see them from all sheilding that's needed to protect everything else from the heat. It all depends on what your desired end results are.

oil leaks? better not oil leak on any turbo setup. tubros dont arbutraily start to leak unless there is a problem. the turbos have blankets on them so as far rust you wont see it.

the first picture above is with approx. 4k miles, still look bad azz. i am sure that most would agree
Old 01-15-2006, 10:22 AM
Z_Rocks
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
I agree! I had a bit too much last night, and didn't feel so good this morning

Oh, one other thing. A friend, who also has a TT, has been having problem with his fuel system. Although, he has a complete Fuel system and couldn't find anything wrong with it. After driving a while, the problem shows up. Now they found out, the heat of the Turbos, causing the fuel in the lines to evaporate and create problems. So, get ready to deal with heat issues in summer.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:58 AM
AustinL911
Racer

[QUOTE=NICK YOSKIN]
Originally Posted by IM QUIKR
The.

oil leaks? better not oil leak on any turbo setup. tubros dont arbutraily start to leak unless there is a problem. the turbos have blankets on them so as far rust you wont see it.

the first picture above is with approx. 4k miles, still look bad azz. i am sure that most would agree
But do you have any heat problems? I notice that you have some kind of heat blanket on the underside of your hood. Does that come with the kit? On PTK's website, they say to go to their downloads page to download a complete parts list, but when you go there, it's nowhere to be found...

Also, I believe PTK offers some coating options for the turbos. Would these coatings prevent rust from forming?
Old 01-15-2006, 11:18 AM
NICK YOSKIN
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by AustinL911
But do you have any heat problems? I notice that you have some kind of heat blanket on the underside of your hood. Does that come with the kit? On PTK's website, they say to go to their downloads page to download a complete parts list, but when you go there, it's nowhere to be found...

Also, I believe PTK offers some coating options for the turbos. Would these coatings prevent rust from forming?

you need to address the heat, there are three ways going about it.

1: use liner as i did and/or wrap exhaust.

2: buy vented hood

3: 1 and 2 combined

my paint is perfect and has no "browning" what so ever. if i didnt run the reflective liner then i am pretty sure i would have had issues w/paint.

the heat is not that big of deal just needs to be addressed. same as another issue when running high hp, ect fuel system. "well not sure i wanna make alot of hp cause then i gotta mod my fuel system"
Old 01-15-2006, 11:23 AM
NICK YOSKIN
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Z_Rocks
I agree! I had a bit too much last night, and didn't feel so good this morning

Oh, one other thing. A friend, who also has a TT, has been having problem with his fuel system. Although, he has a complete Fuel system and couldn't find anything wrong with it. After driving a while, the problem shows up. Now they found out, the heat of the Turbos, causing the fuel in the lines to evaporate and create problems. So, get ready to deal with heat issues in summer.

no such probelms here!!

i have had two problems with ptk kit

traction and smokin a4

a4 is more of a mantaince thing now
Old 01-15-2006, 11:28 AM
NICK YOSKIN
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '08

hey 2muchrice,
you dont want used tti 1 kit! i mean your wayyyyy past that w/you current sc. not saying tti1 is bad but not for an advanced modder

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
Thanks for all the replys so far.

I did see king pins tt for sale but Im wanting a little more flexablity out of the kit plus with 20% off ptk systems it makes it really hard not to buy new.

Hey Nick, Do you have any heat problems with your setup. It looks great
Old 01-15-2006, 02:09 PM
Shinobi'sZ
Le Mans Master

Received 439 Likes on 236 Posts

There are T4 turbos then there are the rest.

Cons

With the PTK kit you have to mitigate for the heat, your choice on how to do so.

I addressed it immediately with venting my hood like the first 1963 Z06s did from the factory. As a result my car has won one top honor at a car show (out of 70-100 vettes at the show)...and it was dirty, a magazine article, and now two other magazines calling to do a story.

So either hood options like myself and others have, or line more delicate areas like Nick has.

Pros are many.
The biggest thing I like about the PTK kit is the versatility. The kit has a superior header design. Don't take my word for it, go to Barnes and Noble or Borders and look for a book on Turbo Engineering and you can read for yourself. Pay particular attention to developing design(s) for endurance racing "Indy Car" and you will see what I am talking about.

Not only that but I have many conversations with the guy developing A&As TT, in fact he was going to do mine 2 years ago. But he is too busy doing Kenny Duttweiler's drag racing setups and Paul Newman's cars. He has extensive experience and he told me himself that the PTK looks like it was meant for a large displacement motor based on the engineering, he was there when my car first dyno'd and told me he was impressed. I was happy to hear that coming for a guy who builds 6 to 7 sec big block TTs that make 2700hp.

You should also go check out the PTK (PTS) website. As a company they have kits for almost every vehicle and they are backed up on the street and at the track. Go see for yourself.
www.proturbokits.com

You could even check out some of Stenod Racing's setups and you will see their faster setups utilize full header/merge collector designs. www.stenodracing.com, in fact they even sell the PTK kit.

The overall design of the kit is one that is capable of supporting 346-500cid size motors. You just change Turbos or AR sizes to adjust. Takes about 45 mins to swap both turbos.

Don't be fooled by people making false claims , the PTK kit easily pushed Nick's car into the 9's the first day out on the track on 17" DOT legal drag radials. No other production kit has been able to push a car with a 346cid to that speed with that time. When he puts 16" slicks on the car it will turn into mid or lower 9's.

As for coatings, I would use www.swaintech.com for my coatings. If I had to do it over again I would not get the hot parts coated by PTK, and would send them straight to swaintech, for a coating. I am thinking with this coatings alone, it would minimize venting and other precautions.

So far the only thing my car has done since getting the PTK kit, has provided me and countless others who hav riddin in the car, a lot of fun.

I have about 3-5K miles on my car since getting it back with the system on. The weather where I live ranges from 30*-104*, no problems even in the middle of summer at 104*. If there was ever going to be a problem with it, I suspected it would have been then.

As for the TTix kit.

I think it is an excellent kit, far better than the TTi kit I got involved with during development for 9 mos of R&D that lead to the TTiX kit.

Pros
Sub Compact Cast Manifold (T3 flange)..excellant
off the shelf Turbonetics T3/4 turbos (ball bearing)
external wastegates with independant vent tubes. I view this, next to the t3 flange, to be a significant difference over the previous TTi TT version.

It will produce all the power you will ever need on the street.

If it drives like the old kit or better than it has great drivability.

Over all a good kit for 346cid but my opinion is that it is limited to smaller cube applications, well at least until I see some indication otherwise.

The install can take sometime too. Luckily you shouldn't have to be swapping turbos too often.

I like the hard plumbing from the charge side, but would be dissappointed if I couldn't run 285 size tires. But to some people that doesn't a matter.

As far as I am concerned the TTiX kit and PTK kit are the best DIYer TT kit available. Being that my setup utilizes a 346cid, if I had the TTiX kit I wouldn't get rid of it. As I feel the same about my PTK kit, it works fantastic and has the potential for so much more.

But the question you need to ask is how much more. There is a certain point where unless you are really committed to Drag Racing and I mean committed. That there is a point of excess that both kits are capable of. Most people don't even understand what it is to drive a 600rwhp car on street rubber, let alone 750rwhp.

I can tell you right now, that my car at just 9#s is all that is needed or all that street rubber can handle.

The only reason I even crank up the boost is for sharing testing and results with other enthusiasts. Also for feedback from those people when improvements can be made.

So if you are contemplating a TT kit, I suggest you determine first what you want to do with it. The best part about this...is there are some choices now. When I first started this venture there was only 1 choice for a TT kit and it was LPE. Which at the time seemed to pricey for what I wanted.

Be glad we can even have a thread asking about pros and cons from two kit other than LPE, and that both of the kits perform very well.

Last edited by Shinobi'sZ; 01-15-2006 at 02:38 PM.
Old 01-15-2006, 02:13 PM
RED99
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If get a upper front mount turbo system and you want BLING and worried about the turbos getting ugly looking, you can ceramic coat turbine (hot) housing, and polish the compressor housing.
Old 01-15-2006, 03:12 PM
Jesse_Boyer
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RED99
If get a upper front mount turbo system and you want BLING and worried about the turbos getting ugly looking, you can ceramic coat turbine (hot) housing, and polish the compressor housing.
It makes sense to coat every-single-piece hot side piece, IMO
Old 01-15-2006, 04:34 PM
mdhmi
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TTi X

Pros:
-- Stealth.
-- Excellent spool with custom T3/T4 BB turbos.
-- Cast manifolds.
-- Doesn't require heat management modifications.

Cons:
-- Very slight reduction in turning radius. The only time I've noticed this is when making extremely tight turns into a parking spot. This ties in to the max front tire size. Similar with the LPE kit.

PTK

Pros:
-- Easy turbo swaps.
-- Not stealth? Some folks prefer the bling.

Cons:
-- Heat dissipation mods. A combination of a vented hood, heat shield, header wrapping, etc.
-- Replacement alternator.
-- Custom spark plug wires.

I tried to highlight some of the differences between the kits. Both are capable of making extraordinary power. For the person who wants to relocate as little as possible and prefers stealth the TTi X kit is hard to beat.

Granted that isn't for everyone. For the guy who wants the bling of the top mount setup and doesn't mind running a different alternator or making various heat absorption mods the PTK kit is perfect.

In the end - I think either setup would make you very happy. There is really nothing like having a TT Vette. The guys who have done H/C, blower, and then turbos know exactly what I mean.

Cheers,

Mark
Old 01-15-2006, 05:03 PM
AustinL911
Racer

Does the PTK require a completely new alternator? I'm seriously thinking about ordering the hot parts kit and having it shipped to SwainTech as Shinobi said. Atleast get a start on the kit while they're having the 20% off deal. I can piece it together from there, once I sell some things, and make some money to buy the rest of the kit.

Get notified of new replies

To Pros and Cons Of PTK and TTiX Kit

Old 01-15-2006, 09:20 PM
NICK YOSKIN
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '08

[QUOTE=AustinL911]Does the PTK require a completely new alternator? I'm seriously thinking about ordering the hot parts kit and having it shipped to SwainTech as Shinobi said. Atleast get a start on the kit while they're having the 20% off deal. I can piece it together from there, once I sell some things, and make some money to buy the rest of the kit.[/

Last edited by NICK YOSKIN; 01-15-2006 at 09:28 PM.
Old 01-15-2006, 09:26 PM
NICK YOSKIN
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '08

Does the PTK require a completely new alternator? I'm seriously thinking about ordering the hot parts kit and having it shipped to SwainTech as Shinobi said. Atleast get a start on the kit while they're having the 20% off deal. I can piece it together from there, once I sell some things, and make some money to buy the rest of the kit.

good idea!! swainrech that is.

alternator is a 89 93 honda civic w/special guts 135 amp.

i pulled all piping from my car along with all the holding fliud tanks.
bought some eastwood decoate. ill strip powered coat and send to ocal cromer. should and some serious bling. that black exhuast wrap darkened engine bay way to much

w/chrome it should look like jimmys haltech kit!!!!
Old 01-15-2006, 11:48 PM
AVB
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just do your homework... IMO, If you're planning big 408 or over cubes and want power all the way to the limiter than you better be able to put the right turbo's on there. That's the main advantage, I believe, the PTK has over the rest. Eventually, we all upgrade and it usually means going big.

Also, not only is swapping turbos easier but the deinstall/install of the whole kit is a piece of cake.. I've done it 4x's now so I should know.

Arnel

Last edited by AVB; 01-15-2006 at 11:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Pros and Cons Of PTK and TTiX Kit