C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuilding the Ghost, aka Great White

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 06:31 PM
Blackonblacksls
Drifting

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo-Geist
Do you have a facebook account? High Tech Corvette's FB page was live streaming the event and you can still go watch the videos. They got video of the finish line clocks for many of the passes.

It was a really cool event with all types of fast cars. Supras, Vipers, Corvettes, Mustangs, Lamborghinis, Porsches, etc. I was impressed and the event was well attended. Highly recommend making one.

I'm still sorting through some issues with the car. The boost curve was very lazy and it didn't hit the target boost till 6000rpm. When I got home I found there was a large CO2 leak. The controller is programmed to add 10 psi to the top of the gates and it was barely adding 3 psi. Also, the methanol injection isn't spraying enough volume on the IAT sensor so temps hit 150 degrees and it pulled 4 degrees of timing. This then causes the A/F to hit 10.0:1 and richer.

The best pass was 10.10 @ 144mph. I guess that's not too bad considering low timing, lazy boost, and too rich. The car felt like it was missing ~200HP.

The car also went into REP mode on one pass. This would have been a great launch. Check it out - 13mph, 6600 rpm and 15psi. The clutch was just about to fully lock and then the computer shut everything down.

Yeah I saw a lot of pictures and videos on Facebook..

Just hard to get a feel
For what the cars did on their best or better passes..

I saw some I recognized going 11s or whatever on problems runs, and then went 2 seconds faster at some other point in the night.

I guess I just want to see the best of compilation. Lol
Old 07-26-2016, 06:34 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

Received 176 Likes on 138 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Smoove
Saw some videos of it up against the RC car haha. Car sounds good.
Lol, thanks. It was fun. I friend of mine did the math and said that the power to weight ratio was the equivalent of having a 2400HP vette with all wheel drive.

Old 07-26-2016, 06:38 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

2017 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Blackonblacksls
Yeah I saw a lot of pictures and videos on Facebook..

Just hard to get a feel
For what the cars did on their best or better passes..

I saw some I recognized going 11s or whatever on problems runs, and then went 2 seconds faster at some other point in the night.

I guess I just want to see the best of compilation. Lol
Ah, gotcha. I think there should be additional media coming out from other groups. It usually takes them a little time to work through all their videos and edit them. It was a big test n tune night for a lot of individuals and shops. Good opportunity to get on a decent surface and sort things out.
Old 07-27-2016, 04:23 PM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Lol, thanks. It was fun. I friend of mine did the math and said that the power to weight ratio was the equivalent of having a 2400HP vette with all wheel drive.

Yep, pretty sick. I have a few rc cars I have built so I know they're tough to beat in a short range. A good friend of mine has a car that goes over 100mph in a very short distance,...which is honestly insane(mine do about 80 in a decent stretch). Goodbye ankles.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:30 AM
wesam
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Here's a pic from Saturday night at Quick 30 on the drag tires and wheels.

Nice car and well done
Which head lights are those ? radioflyer?
Old 07-28-2016, 03:05 PM
Smoove
Melting Slicks

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Here's a pic from Saturday night at Quick 30 on the drag tires and wheels.

My cars twin.
Old 08-03-2016, 06:30 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

2017 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by wesam
Nice car and well done
Which head lights are those ? radioflyer?
Thanks. Yes these are the 1st version of the radioflyer headlights. The light output is good. They have been on the car for about 6 years and still work well. I wish they were flush with the fenders and had a little more of a finished look when viewed up close. I still think a C5 looks best with the stock hidden lights. The stock lights are terrible for any type of performance driving at night and I don't really like the way the car looks with the lights in the up position. Long term, I'm not sure if I'll stick with these or go back to the stockers with a good hid setup.
Old 08-03-2016, 07:12 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

2017 C5 of Year Finalist

Latest update:

The car didn't seem to be pulling as hard as it should during the track event. After reviewing the logs, I found that it was at 9.5 degrees timing vs. a commanded 14 degrees and the boost curve was very lazy. It took 2 seconds to build boost on every shift and it never reached the 18 psi desired peak boost till after 6000rpm.

At the house, I put the boost controller in test mode and it would only apply 3 psi to the gates vs. a commanded 10 psi. I found a rather large leak on the CO2 supply line going to the solenoid and also another leak on the reference line on top of the WG. Now in test mode, the controller will apply and hold 10 psi and the solenoid only clicks once per minute.

The low timing was due to the IAT sensor being heat soaked and not being hit with enough meth to cool it down. This caused timing to be pulled. The meth controller was set to turn on at 4 psi and not go 100% till 24 psi. I had been questioning whether this was the right approach. On the last combo, the injection hit 100% way earlier. I adjusted the meth controller to inject 100% at 12 psi and took the car out for a few test pulls at 2pm yesterday with these two issues sorted out.

One of the logs was from 2500 to 6200 rpm and the car felt like it did back in November before the engine was pulled for inspection. The air fuel is 0.5 points richer now but a small adjustment to the VE table will take care of it. IATs were 102F at the start of the pull and 95F at the end. 18 psi was all there by 3800 rpm and timing held steady at 14 degrees. Looking forward to some cooler weather in the fall.

Placed an order for the new MT 305/40/18s today since these 305/35s are just about done. I'll make a few more pulls this weekend to dial in the air fuel ratio and then pull the trans to figure what's wrong with 5th gear and reverse. This will also be a good time to install the oil cooler and get the a/c working.
Old 08-04-2016, 04:51 AM
inspector12
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 76 Posts

Good news Ben good find congrats. BTW I just purchased a set of the 305/35/18 Mickey's for my Camaro and looked at the 40's but until I get the gear changed I didn't want the extra height etc...
Old 08-08-2016, 05:57 AM
InfiniteReality
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Thanks. Yes these are the 1st version of the radioflyer headlights. The light output is good. They have been on the car for about 6 years and still work well. I wish they were flush with the fenders and had a little more of a finished look when viewed up close. I still think a C5 looks best with the stock hidden lights. The stock lights are terrible for any type of performance driving at night and I don't really like the way the car looks with the lights in the up position. Long term, I'm not sure if I'll stick with these or go back to the stockers with a good hid setup.
If you did go back to stock, I wonder if the same 60mm Hella projectors would have the proper clearance since they clear on 4th gen Trans Ams? While they don't look at home compared to the stock rectangular ones, the lights are mostly down and when they are up it's dark out. Light output is fantastic compared to an aftermarket non-sealed housing and as a bonus you're not blinding oncoming traffic.
Old 08-14-2016, 03:41 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

2017 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by InfiniteReality
If you did go back to stock, I wonder if the same 60mm Hella projectors would have the proper clearance since they clear on 4th gen Trans Ams? While they don't look at home compared to the stock rectangular ones, the lights are mostly down and when they are up it's dark out. Light output is fantastic compared to an aftermarket non-sealed housing and as a bonus you're not blinding oncoming traffic.
I'll have to consult with you and see if we can come up with something. I still have my stock light assemblies so it should be easy to do some test fitting.
Old 08-14-2016, 04:01 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

2017 C5 of Year Finalist

305/40/18 MT ET Street S/S tires mounted

Old 08-22-2016, 09:05 AM
InfiniteReality
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

I came across this, looks like it'd match you hood vents. Not sure on the quality though.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291520868855
Old 08-30-2016, 05:43 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

2017 C5 of Year Finalist

I made some good strides this past weekend on tuning the car. Over the course of two days, I drove it for a total of 3 hours. It's been fun being able to drive it around and make multiple wide open throttle pulls. The VE table looks a little unconventional because it hits one set of cells with the boost controller off and isn't programmed to inject quite as much methanol in the midrange. With the controller on, additional fueling is required with the fast rise in airflow until 12 psi when the meth hits and the fuel has to be dialed back.

We had lots of rain off and on over the weekend, so it's been a challenge hitting the windows of opportunity and finding dry roads for testing. One day, I drove on wet roads dialing in drivability until I got to the next town and found some dry strips of concrete.

Here are a couple of pics from this past weekend:

I got caught in a downpour on the way home after taking this picture.

This picture was on Sunday, while dodging the rain.

Last edited by Turbo-Geist; 08-30-2016 at 06:01 PM.
Old 08-30-2016, 05:44 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

2017 C5 of Year Finalist

The weather was nice on Monday afternoon and there was actually a hint of fall in the air. Temperatures were in the low 80s and the roads were clean from all the rain. I'm not sure if the weather being 15 to 20 degrees cooler made a difference but on one of my last test passes the tires started spinning at around 130mph and the car pitched to the left. Basically another split second at wide open throttle and I think it could have went off the road. There were only two lanes to play so my pulse quickened and it was hard to breathe for a minute. Hard to explain but it's not a good feeling if you have experienced it.

On the way back to the house, I noticed a puff of white smoke from the left side of the car and a weird/ slightly sweet smell. I pulled into the garage and popped the hood and more smoke. It seemed like something was burning. I discovered that one of the brake lines going to the rear of the car had a hole in it. I guess it was spraying on the turbo and getting vaporized. I'm not sure if this is what caused the car to get out of shape or if it happened on the drive home. Either way, the car is out of commission again.

Last edited by Turbo-Geist; 02-09-2017 at 01:52 PM. Reason: picture added
Old 08-30-2016, 06:38 PM
jimbos'ss
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 39 Posts

Damn, glad you caught that early. IIRC brake fluid has a pretty low flash point.
Old 08-30-2016, 06:41 PM
stevieturbo
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbos'ss
Damn, glad you caught that early. IIRC brake fluid has a pretty low flash point.
Yep, very flammable. Never run pipes with brake fluid that close to hot exhaust.

Get notified of new replies

To Rebuilding the Ghost, aka Great White

Old 08-30-2016, 07:21 PM
Turbo-Geist
Melting Slicks

2017 C5 of Year Finalist

Glad it wasn't worse. This is the factory routing and the lines used to be further away tucked up close to the frame rail. I think the heat warped the lines and caused them to come in contact with the hot piping. I ordered 25 foot of line and a flare tool. Planning to make new lines and come up with a better routing.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:36 PM
neverstop
Melting Slicks

Received 108 Likes on 102 Posts

sweet jesus man, that is scary stuff. glad you're ok.

once you get the car dialed in would be fun to see some 60-130mph runs also. i have to imagine that turbo torque will be nasty from a 60 roll when can hook it up
Old 08-31-2016, 12:54 AM
StealthFRC
Melting Slicks

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

pretty sure you have the worst luck ever lol.

Quick Reply: Rebuilding the Ghost, aka Great White