C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hydrogen suplemental systems

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 04:59 PM
Mark Estrada
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hydrogen suplemental systems

The newest snake oil(?) for cars is a small system that adds a small amount of Hydrogen , that you create on demand, int the cold air intake. They are saying you get a mild increase of fuel mileage and more complete combustion of your gas with the hydrogen added...

It kinda makes sense, but it also sounds too good to be true...anyone try this?...This is not running the engine on Hydrogen, just to supplement combustion...

Here is a link to a crowd-sourced fuel cell to do this with..

Old 08-23-2015, 06:54 PM
Mark Estrada
Advanced

It apparently has bee studied by SAE and supplemental Hydrogen injection does increase combustion efficiency and substantially lowers emissions too boot...there are a few papers on it here:

http://www.labellasautorepair.com/be...eage_howto.htm

Old 08-25-2015, 07:57 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

I'd look at propane or meth or something a bit more proven in lieu of hydrogen. lots of folks ran propane injection on the old turbo buicks and it actually works pretty good!

not saying it won't work,

I'm just saying "the juice isn't worth the squeeze" IMHO.
Old 08-25-2015, 11:15 AM
Mark Estrada
Advanced

Originally Posted by Rkreigh
I'd look at propane or meth or something a bit more proven in lieu of hydrogen. lots of folks ran propane injection on the old turbo buicks and it actually works pretty good!

not saying it won't work,

I'm just saying "the juice isn't worth the squeeze" IMHO.
I hear you, but the beauty of this is that you can generate your own Hydrogen and you drive down the road...I can drive 1400 miles from my house in Visalia CA, to Eugene Or and back and end up at 31.9 mpg...i consistency get this after 3 trips...And i'm not driving slow either...If i could squeeze 1 more mpg, it would be worth it...

It's simple, not much of an investment, so i think i might give it a shot...I will let you know what happens...
Old 08-25-2015, 01:23 PM
CamminC5
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18

Not to discourage your efforts, but I don't think there any many in this section concerned with MPG or dare I say it...... emissions.

This topic makes me think of this episode of South Park.
Old 08-25-2015, 01:57 PM
Mark Estrada
Advanced

QUOTE=CamminC5;1590345238]Not to discourage your efforts, but I don't think there any many in this section concerned with MPG or dare I say it...... emissions.

I admit it...I am a hippie...
Old 08-25-2015, 04:06 PM
CamminC5
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18

And a good sport.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:57 AM
Rkreigh
Le Mans Master

Received 707 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Estrada
I hear you, but the beauty of this is that you can generate your own Hydrogen and you drive down the road...I can drive 1400 miles from my house in Visalia CA, to Eugene Or and back and end up at 31.9 mpg...i consistency get this after 3 trips...And i'm not driving slow either...If i could squeeze 1 more mpg, it would be worth it...

It's simple, not much of an investment, so i think i might give it a shot...I will let you know what happens...
you can gain 1 mpg in many much more practical ways. but I applaud your willingness to experiment.

I want to do some "exotic chemicals" like nitro and benzine in my meth injection system someday.

a gent by the name of "Big Daddy" was explaining those little tricks that were used in the old days. along with the nitrous sneeky pete up his pant leg on the driving suit.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:48 PM
TastyBacon
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Nothing new here, I was hearing about this stuff many years ago. Unfortunately, the amount of hydrogen you are able to generate is too small in proportion to the amount of air your engine flows, and the energy required to extract it from water is too great compared to the hydrogen produced. Then there are other issues, such as the durability of the electrodes. It's a neat idea, but absolutely impractical IMO.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:04 PM
SuperVetteC5
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

I built one of these systems several years ago and put it on a 1997 Z71 4X4. Pulled a boat on a 800 mile round trip. Probly gained 2-3 mpg. It's a bit of a hassle, you have to keep the water checked (the hydrogen is generated from water) and you must make sure the sodium chloride (I think it is) mixture is the same or the amps you pull on your alternator changes drastically. I actually checked under the hood one time and my alternator belt was smoking.......Yeah, it will pull a lot of amps if not adjusted correctly!
All in all.....just too much of a hassle for me.

Get notified of new replies

To Hydrogen suplemental systems

Quick Reply: Hydrogen suplemental systems