C5 Vendor for Sale Exclusive forum for vendors to list C5 products, services and promotions.

Proper crankcase evacuation for Turbo and Centri builds

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 10:47 AM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 99 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by stryderss
Centrifugal
please

Above shows a centrifugal diagram. To clarify, there will be one way billet checkvalves inline on each outlet from the can flowing away from the can

And the cleanside unit will connect to your air filter. Most are a cone type so add a barb into the rubber end or base. The second outlet from the can goes to the inlet of the head unit as close as possible. You want the maximum available suction during boost possible so at the filter there is very little, must be right at the opening to the SC inlet.

Also, this shows a LS1 valley. If a valley cover like the LS6, evacuate from it.

If the LS1 as shown, you will need a restrictor valve to replace the PCV valve to maintain proper flow as the LS1 and LS6 valve covers have no restrictor orifice in them. Best is to swap in some late model LS3 valve covers (or any LS engine from say 2008 and up including 5.3, etc.) as they have the best baffle design and all have the restrictor orifice in the outlet barb and that is better to evacuate from than the valley.

Let me know if you need any clarification.

Last edited by pewter99; 10-28-2015 at 11:22 AM.
The following users liked this post:
stryderss (11-05-2015)
Old 10-27-2015, 12:25 PM
wildthingwood1994
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I finally get it, thanks!
Old 10-27-2015, 12:39 PM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '10

No problem.

This will provide constant evacuation suction on the crankcase at all times, boost or no boost and keeps clean and dirty sides separate so you have a good flow through the crankcase flushing the damaging compounds out.

I think Colorado Speed is putting up a sale as well on the correct systems.
Old 10-27-2015, 12:49 PM
ONE BMF
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by coSPEED2
Sorry! http://www.coloradospeed.com/?main_p...ha_filter_id=0

You can tell I am not in sales!

You can just pick the correct model and in the notes specify your make/model/year/mods, etc. for sales.
I need to see the brackets to see how if can mount it off my blower (ECS) bracket. How about some pictures of this thing and the brackets. From the limited pics on the site i see it can't be taken apart and cleaned can it ? 179.00 and 279.00, i don't think so guys. If so the Elite Can is looking better and better ! Bracket pics PLEASE !

Last edited by ONE BMF; 10-27-2015 at 01:08 PM.
Old 10-27-2015, 02:33 PM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '10

Bracket mounts right to ECS bracket in front for ease of draining.

The price includes over $100 of AN fittings and billet checkvalves as well as chrome brass 1/4 turn ball valve for drain. Nothing to clean due to internal design, but we also have the Elite E2-X take apart versions as well for same applications. You wont find a more effective separator than either of these. You can place one inline behind any other can and it will catch as much or more than the first can doing its best, and do it in reverse and see almost none get past these.

Let me find pics for you. Lots of cheaper units out there, but none more effective. Let me know if you want to see test results done by others.
Old 10-27-2015, 10:39 PM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

What a thread! I just wanted to share this thread. It might help with some of the questions that are being asked in here.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ac-thread.html
The following users liked this post:
a/c man (10-30-2015)
Old 10-28-2015, 01:10 PM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by MVP'S ZO6
What a thread! I just wanted to share this thread. It might help with some of the questions that are being asked in here.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ac-thread.html

Good thread! Also so all know, the EE and CoSpeed systems are quite a bit advanced over the old RX systems with higher flowing billet checkvalves and increased capabilities IMHO as well as AN fittings and high quality 1/4 turn drain valves, but the biggest is the billet 1LE style cleanside separators that prevent any pressure as the old checkvalved breather of RX did only allowing fresh air in.

These new systems are designed especially to correct any of the issues the old RX ones had and are proven. You won't be disappointed with either brand of these.
Old 10-28-2015, 10:44 PM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Good thread! Also so all know, the EE and CoSpeed systems are quite a bit advanced over the old RX systems with higher flowing billet checkvalves and increased capabilities IMHO as well as AN fittings and high quality 1/4 turn drain valves, but the biggest is the billet 1LE style cleanside separators that prevent any pressure as the old checkvalved breather of RX did only allowing fresh air in.

These new systems are designed especially to correct any of the issues the old RX ones had and are proven. You won't be disappointed with either brand of these.
What's the difference in CFM between the CoSpeed / EE billet check valves and the one from RX?

I had to look through my photos but I found it. I thought I remember my RX Monster can having AN Fittings. I was right.
Attached Images  
Old 10-29-2015, 11:05 AM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '10

You could always get the RX can with AN fittings I believe as an option. I can't answer the flow question as I do not have an old RX can to test. I just know what the new systems by Elite and ColoradoSpeed are accomplishing in the testing done, and plenty of threads showing this.
Old 10-29-2015, 07:54 PM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

You could always get the RX can with AN fittings I believe as an option. I can't answer the flow question as I do not have an old RX can to test. I just know what the new systems by Elite and ColoradoSpeed are accomplishing in the testing done, and plenty of threads showing this.
Ooh ok, I was just wondering, if you had testing done since you said it was the highest flowing.

So, these can's are very similar to the monster can?

is it safe to say now instead of it is the highest flowing that it could be the highest flowing but we aren't sure?

Out of curiosity, you said you do know what the billet check valves flow, how much exactly do they flow? I couldn't find a thread that gave any numbers or anything.

Old 10-30-2015, 07:10 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----
Received 341 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by MVP'S ZO6
Ooh ok, I was just wondering, if you had testing done since you said it was the highest flowing.

So, these can's are very similar to the monster can?

is it safe to say now instead of it is the highest flowing that it could be the highest flowing but we aren't sure?

Out of curiosity, you said you do know what the billet check valves flow, how much exactly do they flow? I couldn't find a thread that gave any numbers or anything.

It sure would be nice to know the answer to these - WHY?

Because this and the other thread going is making me feel that my Monster II RX C/C with -AN fittings and check valves is no good and a piece of crap with no basis to back it up - (Mine looks just like the RED can above)

It would be nice to find out flow answers of the NEW vs. the OLD then see if we need either to switch out our check valves or the whole can!

Please correct me and please comment on my statement CoSPEED2

Thanks,Matt
Old 10-30-2015, 10:08 AM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '10

The thread referred to the old ones from a few years ago. If you have one from the past year or so your fine. We have sold the RX cans for years, and they only discontinued a few months back. If you have one from less than 2 years ago your fine as that was the latest design. Do look at your check valves though and post a picture so I can tell you if those are the latest. How does it work? That is key.
Old 10-30-2015, 11:20 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Palmdale, Ca----- 2009 Cyber Gray 4LT A6 F55 452 RWHP 422 RWTQ- RIP 1998 C5 734 RWHP & 585 RWTQ-----

The thread referred to the old ones from a few years ago. If you have one from the past year or so your fine. We have sold the RX cans for years, and they only discontinued a few months back. If you have one from less than 2 years ago your fine as that was the latest design. Do look at your check valves though and post a picture so I can tell you if those are the latest. How does it work? That is key.
I bought mine in April 2013 and have no issues.

I did a full write up on the install too. The cracking point on the check valves seems to be very easy.

I will post the write up when I get home to my computer. It has all the pictures.

Thanks, Matt
Old 10-30-2015, 02:19 PM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by madmatt9471
I bought mine in April 2013 and have no issues.

I did a full write up on the install too. The cracking point on the check valves seems to be very easy.

I will post the write up when I get home to my computer. It has all the pictures.

Thanks, Matt
Your probably good then as well.

Old 10-31-2015, 08:55 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Your probably good then as well.

Here is mine - with full routing as well, please look it over too if you would and let me know on the check valves, C/C etc. I would appreciate it

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ntri-pics.html

Thanks,Matt
Old 11-01-2015, 06:33 PM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

The one I posted a picture of was from 2011. The valves it had were from a dodge PCV system. They were inline.

Last edited by MVP'S ZO6; 11-01-2015 at 06:34 PM.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:51 AM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '10

Nice setup! Nicest I have seen to date.

Yes, that has the proper checkvalves and they are sealed in heat shrink tube as well. As long as both flow away from the can.

I would swap the breather for a billet cleanside unit for a better cleanside solution though:

http://www.coloradospeed.com/oil-pum...184ncqi4ohpbh1

The new Coloradospeed "Monster" does not have a welded on bracket so it will mount like that cleaner yet. It uses a billet "clamp" that can be not used if desired.

The new Elite E2-X Ultra also is similar in size with smooth outside.

Nice job!!

Get notified of new replies

To Proper crankcase evacuation for Turbo and Centri builds

Old 11-02-2015, 10:30 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Nice setup! Nicest I have seen to date.

Yes, that has the proper checkvalves and they are sealed in heat shrink tube as well. As long as both flow away from the can.

I would swap the breather for a billet cleanside unit for a better cleanside solution though:

http://www.coloradospeed.com/oil-pum...184ncqi4ohpbh1

The new Coloradospeed "Monster" does not have a welded on bracket so it will mount like that cleaner yet. It uses a billet "clamp" that can be not used if desired.

The new Elite E2-X Ultra also is similar in size with smooth outside.

Nice job!!
Okay, my question then is this on the 1le breather:

Is it only getting the clean air through the (what looks to be) 3/8" nipple that will go into the air filter?

Is that correct? or can one be had to match the rest of the system with a 1/2" Inlet?

Could you break down how the 1le cap breather works and the size nipple it has etc.? Really for me, any extra information on the cap before I make a decision will be extremely helpful and go a long way.

It just doesn't seem to be enough size for a clean source, but I could be wrong. So if you can please break it down for me on the cap.

I had a hard time with the underside of the cap picture on the website.

Oh, and does the cap drain any excess oil back into the valve cover too? Is it designed like that?

Thanks,Matt

Last edited by madmatt9471; 11-02-2015 at 09:37 PM.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:07 AM
madmatt9471
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by madmatt9471
Okay, my question then is this on the 1le breather:

Is it only getting the clean air through the (what looks to be) 3/8" nipple that will go into the air filter?

Is that correct? or can one be had to match the rest of the system with a 1/2" Inlet?

Could you break down how the 1le cap breather works and the size nipple it has etc.? Really for me, any extra information on the cap before I make a decision will be extremely helpful and go a long way.

It just doesn't seem to be enough size for a clean source, but I could be wrong. So if you can please break it down for me on the cap.

I had a hard time with the underside of the cap picture on the website.

Oh, and does the cap drain any excess oil back into the valve cover too? Is it designed like that?

Thanks,Matt
Okay here is the response Colorado Speed gave me on my other thread to this very same question:

It can be custom ordered with any size up to -8 AN if desired for extra$, but your choice of 3/8" or 1/2" when you order is no extra.

The cleanside unit does drain back into the valve cover as it is only trapping oil when flow in is at the greatest. It only needs to trap it during the brief intervals the main separator's valves are switching to ensure proper evacuation at all times.

It can be ordered with the standard GM fit or with a "push in" style.

Hope that helps!

I responded with this:Why? because I might try one of these caps with the proper size fitting and I will update my old thread with pics too -

Yes - that makes perfect sense and I am glad that we can order it with either 1/2" fitting or -8AN fitting too

I want to call today -

Who can I ask for and talk to about this? You?

Thanks,Matt
Old 11-05-2015, 06:41 PM
COSPEED
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '10

Hi Matt, Young in sales or just order online and specify in the notes you want the -8AN on the CSS or the 1/2" hose barb. Can have it 3/8" (standard) or any of the other options no extra.

Quick Reply: Proper crankcase evacuation for Turbo and Centri builds