C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCV with boost

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 06:38 PM
Blow Torch
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default PCV with boost

Are any of you guys still running your PVC line with boost?
I'm presently running a filter on my oil cap, and lines attached, running to atmosphere (in the engine bay) on the three other valve cover outlet nipples. I'm starting to see some oil seepage in some areas and one of the lines is "misting" oil on my hoses.
I thought since the PVC valve only flows one way, I could hook it to the intake port behind the TB, and maybe it would help evacuate under normal driving, which is what I'm doing 95% of the time, and close during boost.
I ran a "oil catch can" when I was NA, but it didn't really seem like it was doing much.
I know this has been banged around here many, many times, but I actually thought I had my system taken care of so I was fat dumb and happy.
Old 02-04-2016, 08:32 PM
CamminC5
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18

I run The Mighty Mouse PCV can. It eliminated the oil smell in the cabin, and no oil is in my intake manifold.
The following users liked this post:
Blow Torch (02-05-2016)
Old 02-04-2016, 08:49 PM
96TTdodge
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I also run a mightymouse
Blow Torch (02-05-2016)
Old 02-05-2016, 09:14 AM
PEETYZ
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

I run a line off each valve cover down to a vented catch can down by the radiator. I have a check valve between manifold and valley cover. TB is capped off. If the boost causes some blow by it just goes out the lines and into the vented can. I open the check valve every so often and get rid of the oil residue and mist on the bottom. No oil smell or oil in my intake or charge pipes.

I am speed density tuned. Not sure if that would make a change on the maf causing unmetered air. I assume the tune may need adjusted if you are tuned without those venting lines then add them on a maf tune. Do I have the best set up? Likely not but it seems to be just fine for me.

Can http://www.jegs.com/i/JAZ-Products/5...25-01/10002/-1

Last edited by PEETYZ; 02-05-2016 at 09:17 AM.
Blow Torch (02-05-2016)
Old 02-05-2016, 12:15 PM
ONE BMF
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

When your in boost is when a PVC system is needed most.The "P" stands for positive ,,remember that and its a no brainer!!! Blow by gasses are what pollutes your crankcase ,make it dirty and is toxic to your engine oil, Gm could have saved millions and not have installed it if it wasn't needed.You need it more than ever when your in boost and crankcase pressure soars way past what a stock motor sees. You need to keep a constant vacuum source plain and simple, as minimal as it may be.The only "CONSTANT" vacuum you will have on a boosted engine, is at your air filter or coupler before your blower. I would NEVER run my car without it hooked up. It does not get oil in my blower either. I run a catch can from the intake manifold with a check valve to prevent back flow under boost. I would never run a PVC system that loses all vacuum at boost, thats just asking for trouble. I'm spraying meth also and want my crank case free of as much explosive gasses as possible. I don't need any blown seals. Its just common sense imho
Attached Images  

Last edited by ONE BMF; 02-05-2016 at 12:29 PM.
Blow Torch (02-05-2016)
Old 02-05-2016, 07:37 PM
Blow Torch
Melting Slicks

That why was I was running 3 lines and the oil filter vent because I know boost is when the most blowby will be created.
So the only real difference (this is a question, not a statement) in the four systems, is that One BMF is running the front passenger vent to the air filter? It looks like everyone else is running a line from the front intake port to a catch can and vent.
Thanks guys
Old 02-06-2016, 08:37 AM
ONE BMF
Drifting

Originally Posted by Blow Torch
That why was I was running 3 lines and the oil filter vent because I know boost is when the most blowby will be created.
So the only real difference (this is a question, not a statement) in the four systems, is that One BMF is running the front passenger vent to the air filter? It looks like everyone else is running a line from the front intake port to a catch can and vent.
Thanks guys
A 3 port can or a dual can setup like this one are on my improvement list. This setup is a dual can configuration as the diagram shows, only running the clean side line to the air filter draw,,not the throttle body as shown since i have a boosted engine. Only fear here is that vacuum will drop off a little with two cans. As you can see my current setup, i also run a catch can from the intake , with a check valve (one way flow), so when i go into boost its not blowing into the can. This set up collects any oil while under a state of vacuum( no psi) in the intake manifold under non boost conditions. Once in boost my catch can set up does NOTHING,,, NOT GOOD,,, but i still have PCV to my pass. valve cover 100% of the time and that's whats needed more than catching oil. Those not running a vacuum line from the air inlet at filter to a crankcase vent( valve cover ports) LOSE all Positive Crankcase Ventilation anytime they go into boost pressure. Ideally you want to get at least a 3 port catch can or a two can set up as diagrammed.This would keep a constant vacuum at the can and would be a little better set up i think.
Attached Images  
Old 02-06-2016, 08:50 AM
ONE BMF
Drifting

This is a diagram of my current set up and a link that may help you decide whats best for you. The best you can do is have a constant vacuum on your crank case blow by, that only leaves you one option,, air filter draw, thats all you can do, other than installing a vacuum pump. That's it in a nut shell brother. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ication-2.html
Attached Images  
Old 02-06-2016, 09:04 AM
ONE BMF
Drifting

Now on to an un-named tuners set-up: They eliminate all the PCV system & run 2 open hoses to hang near the ground. This does 2 things well, it prevents ANY oil from entering the intake, and it vents excess crankcase pressure down & away from the top of the motor where it makes a mess. But this is hardly worth a slow death to the motor as a result. As mentioned in the early days, a down tube provided the negative pressure to evac the gasses while at speed. This is called the "Venturi" effect. (swing a short hose around your head and hold your thumb over the end in your hand & feel the suction) With their set-up there is a hose run from each valve cover fitting to near the ground. At speed (even though they may be ending in the same place) one will pull more than the other, and the one with the least amount of pull will suck up dust, dirt, water, gravel, and who knows what DIRECTLY into your motor!!! And all the way through it! Just as pouring a cup of sand in the oil fill would do the same thing, but much slower. Following me here? They are doing this on theory & half thought only. The other harm is at idle or low speeds there is no vacuum pulling air through to flush out the harmful vapors & gasses!!! So when you shut your motor off, after it has cooled, you have all that crap re-condensing back into the motor. Just what all is in the crankcase while running? Water vapor #1 and unburned fuel that dilutes the oil, and caustic gasses from the blow by....of which sulfuric acid is one main ingredient. So have you followed the science of this? Copied and pasted from this link ,,,good reading https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...cv-system.html

Last edited by ONE BMF; 02-06-2016 at 09:13 AM.
Old 02-06-2016, 01:59 PM
Blow Torch
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ONE BMF
This is a diagram of my current set up and a link that may help you decide whats best for you. The best you can do is have a constant vacuum on your crank case blow by, that only leaves you one option,, air filter draw, thats all you can do, other than installing a vacuum pump. That's it in a nut shell brother. https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ication-2.html
Thank you for the detailed responses
Here is the only issue I would have: You apparently have the Z06 valley evac and I have three valve cover nipples. How would it work to run the front passenger nipple to the air cleaner (like you have) then run the hoses from both side's rear valve cover nipples to the intake port with PCV (check) valve and catch can?
I still have my oil fill cap filter as well
Thanks for the help

Get notified of new replies

To PCV with boost

Quick Reply: PCV with boost