C5 Forced Induction/Nitrous C5 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Centrifugal, Twin Screw & Roots Blowers, Twin Turbo Kits, Intercoolers, Wet & Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Breakdown of Real world cost of tuners east and west

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2004, 09:08 PM
XCELER8
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Breakdown of Real world cost of tuners east and west

This is what I have come up with. If your a tuner and think I am wrong or you can do better let me know and if we can work out shipping let me know. I really like the work of the East coast tuners but the difference between east and west coast is about 1000-1700 dollars more for the same motor. Anyone have any ideas why. I would like to spend about 6000 for everything and I am not asking for the TOP of the line parts..You might say, well have someone in the west coast do it then, but then I am stuck with at least 1500 dollars in shipping cost.

This is what I am wanting

Stock 346ci block
Forged diamon pistons (9.1 comp w/turbo or 10.1 with Mag)
Rings
Kinetics gaskets
Manley/diamond/lunati Rods
ARP studs
I keep my LS1 (or whatever I have) heads
Swap motors
Asemble new motor and install FI when motor is out of the car
Tune the car

I can use my block and crank as a core and the FI comes with the car
Here are my prices on my side of the country (East) for all of this is
I am not laying out any tuners names but they all are awesome shops!

Prices are plus tax...
7000 at one shop
7400 at another
7700 at another

When I called the West/Mid Coast this is what I have come up with and I have called 3 Very well respected tuners over there.

6500 at one shop
6000 at another
6100 at another

Is there a reason it is cheaper on that side of the coast?
Am I expecting to much to only want to spend 6k for everything listed above? Please advise me on what you think. Again, this is not a shot to any tuner here or there I just dont get the huge price differenes..

Thanks,
Jon
Old 09-10-2004, 10:13 PM
2000^C5
Race Director

Just pay someone like Mike what the cost is, you know he won't rip you off and you will have the peace of mind that he will be in the same state as you if something goes wrong (which 99% of the time it does, and even more with the luck you have had!)

But seriously, just trying to help here as I have painfully read about your setbacks over the years (yes, years now!) with your car and would strongly advice to stop shopping for bargins, bits and pieces here and there to save a little $$ here and there. Just go to one tuner, talk about a good choice for you and get it done right for once.

Imagine if you would have done that in the first place how much time and money and pain you would have saved?

Probably you won't take my advice and get different parts from different people to save a couple hundred $$ but that often leads to no warranty and a poor performing car.

For once why not try not being cheap and get it done like 90% of other people who mod their car: ie, pick a tuner, don't squabble over a few dollars and actually have a car that is not always in the shop and fun to drive?

Just my suggestion, trying to help....think about it as a long term investment, a little more $$ in the short term but most likely a big money and headache saver in the long run.
Old 09-10-2004, 10:30 PM
XCELER8
Le Mans Master

Oh, I fully agree with you 100%. Thanks for caring...why I still enjoy this forum is support from people like you and sponsors we have.

When I get my car done it will be done all at one place. There is no warranty cause the car is a FI even from MTI they wont warranty it. But, Mike and I have had a few discusions as I have had with Chris @ ECS and Sean @ MDMC. They are AWESOME Tuners. I have the highest respect for them. I am not really buying parts from here and getting it done there. Seriously, I talked to MTI and they have a really setup SB for 2695 and the same exact SB here on the east coast is 4900 plus tax. I was curious to see why there was a difference for over a 1000. I have no intention to pi$$ off any tuners at all. We are lucky on this forum to have so many great tuners thoughout the county. I am thankful to all of you that I have spoke to to help teach me more about what I drive.
Jon
Old 09-10-2004, 10:38 PM
EatRice
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Tuners/motor builders in generally are used to working with certain products. They know what they can do with those products and what can be achived. When you try to nickle and dime it is when things go haywire. What you have to do is determine what you really want from your car. Then talk to a couple of guys and tell them exactly what you want. It is very important to be up front and honest at this stage. Once you laid it all out then get a price. After that it is a matter of yes or no. Especially in this game that we play. You half *** one thing and you can dump the entire project. A very important thing to remember is that you are only as strong as your weakest link. Lets say you put in the worlds best pistons and best rods...rated at 1000 hp no problem. Then you through them on some beat up used crank and some chincy rod bolts that will break at 250 hp. Your 1000 hp pistons are now only worth 250hp. Catch my drift. With a motor build like this you can either have a great machine that will last for a long time or headaches that will last longer.
Old 09-10-2004, 11:52 PM
'97 C5
Pro

You are looking for a reliable and reputable tuner to construct a durable FI foundation, then you need to contact Andy @ A&A
Old 09-10-2004, 11:59 PM
XCELER8
Le Mans Master

I have not tried A&A yet. I know they have the best kit on the market for the ATI!!!
I dont want tuners to think that I am disgrunteled with them, I am not at all, I am very happy with everyone I have spoke with. I am just seeing the difference between regions.
Jon
Old 09-11-2004, 12:15 AM
NJ99FRC
Drifting

Location: If you can see the car behind you, your not going fast enough
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DUDE! Just Go to ECS and Get It done Right... They are probably you r best bet right now... i am sure they were one of the ones in the 7000 range.... but just do it there.... i have not heard one bad report from any of there costomers ever.... all good reprts and all awsome power!
Old 09-11-2004, 07:24 PM
Z06GMAN
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '06

What these guy's are telling you is so true. Not to say you can't get a better price. But there is no way I would use a built engine from one company and have a tuner do the rest. I want to know it's going to work and that is a small price to pay IMHO. Good luck to you
Old 09-11-2004, 08:43 PM
mdhmi
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First it is very difficult to price shop for motor work as each vendor has a set of pistons / rods / etc that they use. Plus some shops purposely charge a little more than the going rate to chase away potential problem customers. This is a very good tactic in my opinion. Shopping price alone can really get you screwed in the long run. Ideally you want a shop that will do up your ride from start to finish ( motor, FI, tuning, etc ).

Good luck,

Mark
Old 09-12-2004, 12:32 AM
1%r
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03 through '17

Originally Posted by NJ99FRC
DUDE! Just Go to ECS and Get It done Right... They are probably you r best bet right now... i am sure they were one of the ones in the 7000 range.... but just do it there.... i have not heard one bad report from any of there costomers ever.... all good reprts and all awsome power!
ECS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-12-2004, 01:01 AM
XCELER8
Le Mans Master

Guys, dont get me wrong. Chris @ ECS is AWESOME. So is Sean @ MDMC and so is Mike @ Norris Mot. They are ALL very good, dont misunderstand me, they are all good. But there is also Jason @ MTI, Bill @ Xtreme, and Andy @ A&A....all with there ducks in a row and are awesome also.....
so with all that said, I am out..
Jon
Old 09-12-2004, 02:19 AM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 897 Likes on 403 Posts
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '08

Do your homework and stay with one tuner from start to finish, but let him know that you've done your own investigation. That way, you'll know what's going on and he'll know that you know as well!
Good luck,
JB
Old 09-12-2004, 11:04 AM
Z06GMAN
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '06

One other thing that was not said here is how far away you are from your tuner. That is a major deal when working with FI. It's not fun shipping you car 1000 miles or so getting the bugs work out. That being said if it was the difference of close and a proven tuner go with the proven tuner. Just somthing to think about.

Get notified of new replies

To Breakdown of Real world cost of tuners east and west

Quick Reply: Breakdown of Real world cost of tuners east and west