LED Tail Light Upgrade.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 11:46 AM
AMGPilot
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LED Tail Light Upgrade.

Hello Everyone,

I just completed the LED Tail Light upgrade that was originally posted by MyVetteDream in the following post: LED tails ... Dial Up Warning.

First I want to thank MyVetteDream for the original post and for the links to the website to purchase the LED bulbs.

MyVetteDream has the Euro Tail Lights so his installation was a bit different than mine since I have the stock Tail Lights.

**The reason for my post is to explain how to do the upgrade to LED's with the stock Tail Lights.

I purchased the bulbs from superlumination. ***For some reason the website that MyVetteDream gave us (autolumination.com) is no longer working but the link that I listed here is the one that they gave me in their email when I ordered the bulbs.

Here is a link to the installation page they provide: Installation

1) You need Four bulbs (3157 Red) go to this link: 3157 Bulbs and scroll down to the "Light Tower" bulbs and order the "3157 Red" bulbs.

2) You also need Four "Load Equalizers". Click on this link Load Equalizers and order Four 6 OHM Equalizers.

3) The Load Equalizers simulate the resistance of the stock bulbs so the turn signals do not flash real fast after installing the LED's.

I really like the way the lights come on instantly now just like the 3rd brake light does. If you guys need any help doing the installation just let me know and I will walk you through it

Here is a picture of the bulbs:

Last edited by AMGPilot; 03-31-2005 at 12:39 PM.
Old 03-31-2005, 11:49 AM
Stangkiller
Race Director

CI 5-6-7-8-9-10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08

That's cool!
Old 03-31-2005, 11:57 AM
georgec114
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vette-Pilot
Hello Everyone,

I just completed the LED Tail Light upgrade that was originally posted by MyVetteDream in the following post: LED tails ... Dial Up Warning.

First I want to thank MyVetteDream for the original post and for the links to the website to purchase the LED bulbs.

MyVetteDream has the Euro Tail Lights so his installation was a bit different than mine since I have the stock Tail Lights.

**The reason for my post is to explain how to do the upgrade to LED's with the stock Tail Lights.

I purchased the bulbs from superlumination. ***For some reason the website that MyVetteDream gave us (autolumination.com) is no longer working but the link that I listed here is the one that they gave me in their email when I ordered the bulbs.

Here is a link to the installation page they provide: Installation

1) You need Four bulbs (3157 Red) go to this link: 3157 Bulbs and scroll down until you find the "3157 Red" bulbs.

2) You also need Four "Load Equalizers". Click on this link Load Equalizers and order Four 6 OHM Equalizers.

3) The Load Equalizers simulate the resistance of the stock bulbs so the turn signals do not flash real fast after installing the LED's.

I really like the way the lights come on instantly now just like the 3rd brake light does. If you guys need any help doing the installation just let me know and I will walk you through it

Thanks for the post, but which 3157 red bulbs did you get?

24 LED, 19 LED, etc.?

...George
Old 03-31-2005, 12:19 PM
MyVetteDream
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: HOW FAST WAS I GOING OFFICER? Los Angeles Hating GM Dealership Service Dept.'s Since Sept. 2004
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

Thanks for the update Jack

I've been wanting to do my turn signals and trying to figure out what would work. Sounds like you found a good answer

The website you listed works great! Thanks.

I love this place!

Dave Q.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:21 PM
14U2ENV
Melting Slicks

Location: Lino Lakes, MN _________________________ I Figured out how to do this!
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06

Have you tried your emergency flashers to see if any codes were thrown?
Old 03-31-2005, 12:26 PM
CUlookin
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds good, I'll order some this weekend...
Thanks!
Old 03-31-2005, 12:36 PM
AMGPilot
Drifting

Originally Posted by georgec114
Thanks for the post, but which 3157 red bulbs did you get?

24 LED, 19 LED, etc.?

...George
Hey George,

Sorry but I forgot to specify which 3157 Red Bulb :o I have edited my first post to specify which bulb

Order the 20 LED Light Tower shown here:
Old 03-31-2005, 12:37 PM
bvetted
Instructor

ok pleae walk me through it -------- i have the four bulbs- 4 equalizers 6 ohm -- all installed -- sometimes the turn signal flashes "f-a-s-t-" i talked w/ chris from autolumination and he said to try 2 6ohm equalizers on each light-- one to turn sig - another equalizer to the third wire-- both connected to the ground wire. i have not tried that solution yet. rvette@usadatanet.net if you want to reply to me or this forum is fine -- i think a lot of us would like the answer!!! my taillites are stock as well-- left side yellow/ground brown wire- black wire---- right side green/ground-- brown wire-- black wire- on a 2000 vette ----any ways --- any help would be muchhhhhh appreciated!!!! thanks bob

Last edited by bvetted; 03-31-2005 at 12:40 PM.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:51 PM
AMGPilot
Drifting

Originally Posted by 14U2ENV
Have you tried your emergency flashers to see if any codes were thrown?

14U2ENV,

I forgot to check it after I was finished so after I read your reply I went out to the garage and checked it.

After using the Emergency Flashers there were no codes present at all
Old 03-31-2005, 01:04 PM
AMGPilot
Drifting

Originally Posted by bvetted
ok pleae walk me through it -------- i have the four bulbs- 4 equalizers 6 ohm -- all installed -- sometimes the turn signal flashes "f-a-s-t-" i talked w/ chris from autolumination and he said to try 2 6ohm equalizers on each light-- one to turn sig - another equalizer to the third wire-- both connected to the ground wire. i have not tried that solution yet. rvette@usadatanet.net if you want to reply to me or this forum is fine -- i think a lot of us would like the answer!!! my taillites are stock as well-- left side yellow/ground brown wire- black wire---- right side green/ground-- brown wire-- black wire- on a 2000 vette ----any ways --- any help would be muchhhhhh appreciated!!!! thanks bob
Hey Bob,

No problem

You need to install one Load Equalizer in the wiring harness at each bulb.

R/H Side: Install one Equalizer between the "Dark Green" wire and the "Black" wire at each bulb (inboard and outboard). The "Dark Green" wire is the power wire that supplies power to the "Brake / Turn Signal" element in the bulb and the "Black" wire is ground.

The "Brown" wire is the power wire for the Tail Light element in the bulb so do not attach anything to the "Brown" wire.

L/H Side: Install one Equalizer between the "Yellow" wire and the "Black" wire at each bulb (inboard and outboard). The "Yellow" wire is the power wire that supplies power to the "Brake / Turn Signal" element in the bulb and the "Black" wire is ground.

The "Brown" wire on this side is the same as the R/H side. It is the power wire for the Tail Light element in the bulb so do not attach anything to the "Brown" wire.

I hope this helps If you need any more help just let me know
Old 03-31-2005, 02:35 PM
bvetted
Instructor

thankks so much-- i did exactly that and at first i got fast flashing w/ the turn sig. i then took off the blue clips that came w/ the kit -- i'm not a fan of those--- and sent them w/ the garbage truck -- i then installed wire nuts to the wires exactly how you described it the turn sig worked fine. i then tried my running lites - all worke fine- w/ the running lites on, i turned oin the turns--- fast-fast signals as i sterpped on the brake w/ the turns on fast- fast signals again. !!!! 4 ways work fine. went to bed wondering if all this was worth it. got up this am and tried it all again-- only to find out all is working fine except the left turn sig flashes fast w/ the brake applied. i e-mailed chris from autoluminatiuon-- he said to try and put a 6ohm equalizer on each line green/black and brown/ black. so we would have two equalizer on each socket. did not try that yet. glad to hear yours are working fine. any help greatly appreciated. don't want to give up thx again bob
Old 03-31-2005, 02:37 PM
sailohio
Melting Slicks

Nice looking mod.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:43 PM
red97vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

awsome!

red
Old 03-31-2005, 04:23 PM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by bvetted
thankks so much-- i did exactly that and at first i got fast flashing w/ the turn sig. i then took off the blue clips that came w/ the kit -- i'm not a fan of those--- and sent them w/ the garbage truck -- i then installed wire nuts to the wires exactly how you described it the turn sig worked fine. i then tried my running lites - all worke fine- w/ the running lites on, i turned oin the turns--- fast-fast signals as i sterpped on the brake w/ the turns on fast- fast signals again. !!!! 4 ways work fine. went to bed wondering if all this was worth it. got up this am and tried it all again-- only to find out all is working fine except the left turn sig flashes fast w/ the brake applied. i e-mailed chris from autoluminatiuon-- he said to try and put a 6ohm equalizer on each line green/black and brown/ black. so we would have two equalizer on each socket. did not try that yet. glad to hear yours are working fine. any help greatly appreciated. don't want to give up thx again bob
The easiest way to fix this is wire your old bulbs (paint them black) in parallel with the LEDs, then the car thinks nothing changed.
Old 03-31-2005, 05:59 PM
cselz
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ben dover
The easiest way to fix this is wire your old bulbs (paint them black) in parallel with the LEDs, then the car thinks nothing changed.
What a great idea!

-Chris
Old 03-31-2005, 07:55 PM
The Batman
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ben dover
And when these bulbs burn out, THEN buy the load equalizers, right?
Old 03-31-2005, 09:13 PM
bvetted
Instructor

if i wire the old bulbs back in---- will i still need the 6ohm equalizers at each light??/

Last edited by bvetted; 03-31-2005 at 09:15 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To LED Tail Light Upgrade.

Old 03-31-2005, 09:43 PM
JTS97Z28
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No you will not.

And when the bulbs burn out buy new replacement bulbs as it is cheaper, and apparently more reliable as not everyone is having luck with the load equalizers. When I purchase my LED's I will be using the old bulbs in line.

Hey Bendover how did you place the bulbs inline and on which wires. By any chance do you have pictures?

Thanks
Old 03-31-2005, 10:03 PM
bvetted
Instructor

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28
No you will not.

And when the bulbs burn out buy new replacement bulbs as it is cheaper, and apparently more reliable as not everyone is having luck with the load equalizers. When I purchase my LED's I will be using the old bulbs in line.

Hey Bendover how did you place the bulbs inline and on which wires. By any chance do you have pictures?

Thanks
thanks- woould be interestd in how to "wire" the "old bulbs in.
Old 04-02-2005, 04:59 PM
bvetted
Instructor

Just finished wiring the "old bulbs" back in line w/ the leds. took the equalizers off and baought 4 tail light sockets-- wired them in-painted the bulbs black- so far works very well.. thanks for the advice oh 4 equalizers for sale-------cheap!

Quick Reply: LED Tail Light Upgrade.