Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone with SLP Loudmouths on stock cats and headers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 08:19 AM
07blackcoupe
Burning Brakes

Location: Lost in the Pine Barrens with only ketchup and relish packs, New Jersey
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anyone with SLP Loudmouths on stock cats and headers?

If so, do you think they are too loud for a daily driver? I had my mind made up about getting stingers until I heard a vette yesterday with SLP loudmouths on. They were real loud when I was driving alongside and they sounded awesome. I didn't have the chance though to find out the rest of the modifications if any as I was in the Suburban and couldn't keep up I drive about 80 miles a day in the vette in mixed driving highway/ local and I am looking to spice things up a bit-
Thanks
Old 05-12-2005, 08:38 AM
z06cab
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

w/h headers it's going to be LOUD.
Everyone is different though...If it's too loud, you may enjoy it for the first bit, then it wears off, then you want something aggressive, but not that loud!
Old 05-12-2005, 11:14 AM
samhane
Advanced

I don't have headers but I have the SLP loudmouths. They are loud, They do sound mean when driving. I was told with headers they are loud. I love the way they look from the back of the car though.

I will be selling mine soon because they are too loud for me. Let me know if your interested. Not very many miles at all.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:18 AM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Funny you should ask, I just(about 3 weeks ago) put on Dynatech Long tube headers w/Hi flow cats and I have the SLPLoudmouths....well, it's close to race car loud...at first I thought it had quieted down a bit,,but I think I just got used to it....my brother told me yesterday "man that thing is loud" for the 2nd time. I have a 6 speed so I can adjust a little,,but the resonance (especially when cold or running the compressor for defrost) at 1500 RMPS is LOUD.

I still love it though

too bad you live in NJ or I could cruise by and you could take a listen.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:20 AM
JChrisF
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by FrankTank
Funny you should ask, I just(about 3 weeks ago) put on Dynatech Long tube headers w/Hi flow cats and I have the SLPLoudmouths....well, it's close to race car loud...at first I thought it had quieted down a bit,,but I think I just got used to it....my brother told me yesterday "man that thing is loud" for the 2nd time. I have a 6 speed so I can adjust a little,,but the resonance (especially when cold or running the compressor for defrost) at 1500 RMPS is LOUD.

I still love it though

I'd love to hear that!
Old 05-12-2005, 11:25 AM
FrankTank
Race Director

CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran

Originally Posted by JChrisF

I'd love to hear that!

It does sound pretty tough..if you stand behind my car and I rev it to about 4k or 5k the sound will hurt your ears
Definatly not for everyone..we'll see how long I keep the Loudmouths..for now I love it.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:35 AM
07blackcoupe
Burning Brakes

Location: Lost in the Pine Barrens with only ketchup and relish packs, New Jersey

I still love it though

I would love to hear it! I too have a 6 speed so I am thinking of giving them a try. SLP is located in NJ and they are only about an hour away so it is very tempting to just drive over and get them! I can't decide whether I like the loud mouths better than the stingers, even after hearing them both in person.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:49 AM
07blackcoupe
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by samhane
I don't have headers but I have the SLP loudmouths. They are loud, They do sound mean when driving. I was told with headers they are loud. I love the way they look from the back of the car though.

I will be selling mine soon because they are too loud for me. Let me know if your interested. Not very many miles at all.
Do you have stock cats? I too love the look from the back of the car! I know you said you wanted to get rid of them, is it the idle, rev, or cruise volume or all that bothers you the most?
I might be interested in buying them. I live about an hour away from SLP and have been very tempted to just drive over!
Did you put them on yourself?
Old 05-12-2005, 11:51 AM
JChrisF
Burning Brakes

It does sound pretty tough..if you stand behind my car and I rev it to about 4k or 5k the sound will hurt your ears
Definatly not for everyone..we'll see how long I keep the Loudmouths..for now I love it.
I stood behind a friends car with Loudmouths who was otherwise stock and it hurt my ears at WOT. It's that sensation like firing a 45 cal pistol with no ear protection and the ringing after. I can only imagine what yours would do.
Old 05-12-2005, 11:53 AM
07blackcoupe
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JChrisF
I stood behind a friends car with Loudmouths who was otherwise stock and it hurt my ears at WOT. It's that sensation like firing a 45 cal pistol with no ear protection and the ringing after. I can only imagine what yours would do.
Am I going to be able to sneak out of my neighborhood in the morning at say under 2000 rpm???
Old 05-12-2005, 12:00 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran

Originally Posted by 99magredcoupe
I would love to hear it! I too have a 6 speed so I am thinking of giving them a try. SLP is located in NJ and they are only about an hour away so it is very tempting to just drive over and get them! I can't decide whether I like the loud mouths better than the stingers, even after hearing them both in person.
I wish I had a video camera or something I could record it for ya One thing I will telll you is that they pop and gurgle a lot on decel I like this some don't... i don't think the stingers do that a lot. Forum member England Green just put on Dynatechs also like I did, but he has the Stingers, from what he said they are still pretty darn loud (with headers)
Old 05-12-2005, 12:03 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran

Am I going to be able to sneak out of my neighborhood in the morning at say under 2000 rpm???
if you get the Loudmouths you can take the word "sneak" out of your vocabulary you can get them to quiet down a bit at certain RPMS in certain gears...the idle is not that loud (once it's warmed up) and if you are crusin and not on the FUn pedal too hard they are not that loud, but you still hear them.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:06 PM
MHFontaine
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 155 Likes on 53 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Here are some clips of my car and my SLP's....Not too loud at all in my opinion...just what a 'Vette is supposed to sound like

SLP's Revving
http://hometown.aol.com/mhfontaine/v...d/mov00028.mpg

SLP "Fly-By"
http://hometown.aol.com/mhfontaine/v...mhf_master.wmv

By the way, now, I have MTI Racing Headers, X-Pipe, Random Tech Hi-Flo Cats, Vortec Intake, Powerduct Air Bridge, smooth coupler, yadda, yadda, yadda...

LOUD IS GOOD

Enjoy

Marvin
Old 05-12-2005, 12:15 PM
07blackcoupe
Burning Brakes

I wish I had a video camera or something I could record it for ya One thing I will telll you is that they pop and gurgle a lot on decel I like this some don't... i don't think the stingers do that a lot. Forum member England Green just put on Dynatechs also like I did, but he has the Stingers, from what he said they are still pretty darn loud (with headers)
I don't mind the poping and gurgle- once in awhile I can get a pop out of the stock exhaust and I think I will enjoy that. I just wonder, will I be able to hear the loud mouths with the radio up high and the top off??? With the top off at around 60 mph or turning up the radio I can't hear the stock exhaust AT ALL!
Old 05-12-2005, 12:22 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran

I don't mind the poping and gurgle- once in awhile I can get a pop out of the stock exhaust and I think I will enjoy that. I just wonder, will I be able to hear the loud mouths with the radio up high and the top off??? With the top off at around 60 mph or turning up the radio I can't hear the stock exhaust AT ALL!
I think you will be able to hear it, of course depends on how loud you have the radio up and also depends on what RPM and what Gear you are on...for example, if you are in 5th going 50MPH there is just a low drone and you could probaboy drown that out with the radio,,, but if you are going 70MPH and downshift from 5th to 3rd and go WOT you will hear the SLPS with headers for sure...with stock manifolds maybe not as much. The headers really wake things up..
Old 05-12-2005, 12:23 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran

Originally Posted by MHFontaine
Here are some clips of my car and my SLP's....Not too loud at all in my opinion...just what a 'Vette is supposed to sound like

SLP's Revving
http://hometown.aol.com/mhfontaine/v...d/mov00028.mpg

SLP "Fly-By"
http://hometown.aol.com/mhfontaine/v...mhf_master.wmv

By the way, now, I have MTI Racing Headers, X-Pipe, Random Tech Hi-Flo Cats, Vortec Intake, Powerduct Air Bridge, smooth coupler, yadda, yadda, yadda...

LOUD IS GOOD

Enjoy

Marvin
Hey Marvin good video I knew someone around here had one of the SLPs.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:23 PM
07blackcoupe
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MHFontaine
GREAT CLIPS... THANKS- I have heard them in person and I agree, I don't think they are TOO loud- I think I will find out for myself soon
Old 05-12-2005, 12:26 PM
07blackcoupe
Burning Brakes

I think you will be able to hear it, of course depends on how loud you have the radio up and also depends on what RPM and what Gear you are on...for example, if you are in 5th going 50MPH there is just a low drone and you could probaboy drown that out with the radio,,, but if you are going 70MPH and downshift from 5th to 3rd and go WOT you will hear the SLPS with headers for sure...with stock manifolds maybe not as much. The headers really wake things up..
If they sound as good as I think they are going to sound, I may not use the radio anymore...
Old 05-12-2005, 06:44 PM
White99FRC
Pro

i have some KOOKS LTs (no cats) with the SLP loudmouth and its VERY LOUD standing from the outside of the car. The exhaust from inside the cockpit is louder with the stock h and manifolds due to the resonance from the cats. i can carry a conversation better in the car the with LTs due. at full throttle, it sounds AWESOME!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone with SLP Loudmouths on stock cats and headers?

Quick Reply: Anyone with SLP Loudmouths on stock cats and headers?