Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a reverse lock out on a M6 at higher speeds?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 12:10 PM
jawzforlife
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Is there a reverse lock out on a M6 at higher speeds?

When going down the freeway and shifting into 5th gear, is there a lock out to reverse so I dont accidently put it in reverse instead of 5th?

Last edited by jawzforlife; 08-03-2005 at 12:13 PM.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:20 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 153 Likes on 73 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

There is a lockout on the MN6 to prevent accidental shifts into reverse. I wouldn't try to hard if I were you however. I've read a couple of stories about someone shifting very hard, or very fast and somehow overcome the lockout(I'm guessing just the sheer force alone). As I recall it happend on a track day. So its there, just not totally mistake proof.

Paul
Old 08-03-2005, 12:23 PM
jawzforlife
Pro

Originally Posted by talon90
There is a lockout on the MN6 to prevent accidental shifts into reverse. I wouldn't try to hard if I were you however. I've read a couple of stories about someone shifting very hard, or very fast and somehow overcome the lockout(I'm guessing just the sheer force alone). As I recall it happend on a track day. So its there, just not totally mistake proof.

Paul
I thought so, I could tell the shifter want going all the way to the right when I was on the free way, I just wanted to make sure.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:27 PM
diyguy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

In mine, even sitting dead stopped, it takes 'extra effort' to move it all the way over to find reverse. Have missed a few times and thought I was going to go backwards, only to be humbled by inching forward instead.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:05 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,457 Likes on 14,057 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

There is a lockout on the MN6 to prevent accidental shifts into reverse. I wouldn't try to hard if I were you however.
Would hate to find out the hard way that it can be done.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:20 PM
Jeff Jeff
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reverse locks out at speeds over 3mph or so. When I got my clutch redone for the 3rd time, the reverse solenoid was stuck to lock out reverse (it fixed itself after driving 10 miles or so). I could get it in reverse but I had to push very hard. I don't think it is possible to shift it into reverse by accident as I had to use both hands to bypass the reverse lockout.
Old 08-03-2005, 04:37 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by Jeff Jeff
Reverse locks out at speeds over 3mph or so. When I got my clutch redone for the 3rd time, the reverse solenoid was stuck to lock out reverse (it fixed itself after driving 10 miles or so). I could get it in reverse but I had to push very hard. I don't think it is possible to shift it into reverse by accident as I had to use both hands to bypass the reverse lockout.
Talon90 is correct. It can be done. It will wind up trashing the reverse gear synchros, if not the gear itself. It takes a great deal of effort and pretty much has to be "slammed" into it, but it can be done.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:49 PM
Dark-Knight
Race Director

I've done it, not a pleasant expereince... ...pass on it if you can.
Old 08-03-2005, 09:17 PM
Doooom03
Intermediate

My solenoid is not working and I have put it into reverse while moving foward about 3 times not very pleasant i have to get my reverse solonoid fixed soon
Old 08-05-2005, 07:45 PM
Jeff Jeff
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LoneStarFRC
Talon90 is correct. It can be done. It will wind up trashing the reverse gear synchros, if not the gear itself. It takes a great deal of effort and pretty much has to be "slammed" into it, but it can be done.
It will not trash the synchros, it is an electric solenoid that prevents the shifter from going into reverse. There is no way you can trash the synchros by forcing it in reverse if you are stopped.

Based on the effort it took me to get it into reverse when the solenoid had reverse locked out, I find it hard to believe you would ever hit reverse instead of 5th unless the solenoid was broken.
Old 08-05-2005, 08:27 PM
talon90
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 153 Likes on 73 Posts
Tech Contributor
Cruise-In 11 Veteran
NCM Ambassador
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'10

Originally Posted by Jeff Jeff
It will not trash the synchros, it is an electric solenoid that prevents the shifter from going into reverse. There is no way you can trash the synchros by forcing it in reverse if you are stopped.

Based on the effort it took me to get it into reverse when the solenoid had reverse locked out, I find it hard to believe you would ever hit reverse instead of 5th unless the solenoid was broken.
I didn't think we were talking about when you are stopped. The original poster was asking about doing it on the highway. I'm betting that would trash the synchros.
Old 08-05-2005, 10:15 PM
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I didn't think we were talking about when you are stopped. The original poster was asking about doing it on the highway. I'm betting that would trash the synchros.
Ummm, exackly. That was jawzforlife's question wasn't it?
Like I said earlier, kiss your synchros goodbye (maybe worse)
Old 08-06-2005, 12:12 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,961 Likes on 5,347 Posts

Paul
The reverse lockout is a solenoid that forces the shifter to stay in the 5-6 gate. However, the solenoid works in conjunction with a spring that keeps the gate closed. If you force the shifter into 5th hard enough you will go into reverse since you will override the spring pressure. They did this so the owner could shift the car into reverse in case the solenoid failed. However, I accidentally did this on the way to work this morning. I was not speed shifting or speeding. I shifted to 5th at about 40 mph and hit reverse. You know when you do it since you hear a lot of grinding while the gears bump over each other. This is the first time it happened on my Z. I had it happen on my 97 several times including on the track. I took it to the dealer and they agreed to replace the switch and that is when they found the replacement operated exactly the same. They called me at work and said they wanted to show me so I went over and tried both of the switches and they acted just the same.
Bill
Old 08-06-2005, 08:18 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 269 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The reverse lockout is a solenoid that forces the shifter to stay in the 5-6 gate. However, the solenoid works in conjunction with a spring that keeps the gate closed. If you force the shifter into 5th hard enough you will go into reverse since you will override the spring pressure. They did this so the owner could shift the car into reverse in case the solenoid failed. However, I accidentally did this on the way to work this morning. I was not speed shifting or speeding. I shifted to 5th at about 40 mph and hit reverse. You know when you do it since you hear a lot of grinding while the gears bump over each other. This is the first time it happened on my Z. I had it happen on my 97 several times including on the track. I took it to the dealer and they agreed to replace the switch and that is when they found the replacement operated exactly the same. They called me at work and said they wanted to show me so I went over and tried both of the switches and they acted just the same.
Bill
Same thing here I've bumped it a couple of times. on the track! I always wondered "what the heck" not supposed to happen but.............

Get notified of new replies

To Is there a reverse lock out on a M6 at higher speeds?

Quick Reply: Is there a reverse lock out on a M6 at higher speeds?