Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody using Mobil 1 extended life 5WX30W?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 04:32 PM
waupachino
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Anybody using Mobil 1 extended life 5WX30W?

Ok, after reading a thread on Synthetic Oils used I just found out that the Mobil 1 extended life 5WX30W oil I just put in my 00 Vette and spent over $60 on is not GM Standard 4718M. Boy do I feel like an idiot. Now my question is should I take it out and put the regular Mobil 1 in? Will there be any problems with the Extended Life oil?
Old 11-11-2005, 05:22 PM
Mudlizard
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldnt sweat it. If I understand a reply I received from Royal Purple, the Mobil 1 extended doesnt meet the "GF-4 Standard". (I'm guessing), It probably does meet the GF-3 Standard though. GF-4 standard being the latest and greatest.

Corvette oil changes are not cheap. I would keep it in there.

Here is one of the paragraphs I got from RP:

The RP 5W30 is the product that you want. Although the product is the same as in previous years, API SL / GF-3 rated, we can not show the API Starburst logo as there is a new GF-4 rating which we have chosen at this time not to update to (we do not feel that it is an improvement - just as the new Mobil 1 Extended Protection does not meet the newer API SM / GF-4 spec).

I posted their entire answer on the "Synthetic Oil Used" thread.

Hope this helps that hard earned 60 bones you spent on O/C.
Old 11-11-2005, 05:33 PM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

It is a synthetic blend as I understand it... The only issue you have is if it has an extended warranty.. .
It should be fine, but if the unthinkable happens. the warranty might not honor it...
Old 11-11-2005, 06:50 PM
edensknight
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are wise to be concerned. Oil degradation is dependent upon a whole host of factors from driving habits, to the typical ambient temps and geography in your region, age of engine, type of extra mods, etc., on up to, and, including when you actually change your own oil, etc. Therefore, in my experience, I continue to change my oil and oil filter (PCV Valve, Air Filter, Plugs, etc.) every 3K miles. Period. This clock work habit has allowed me to see very high trouble free miles form all of my vehicles. Moreover, I prefer Redline synthetic fluids. Best of luck to you.
Old 11-11-2005, 07:00 PM
waupachino
Melting Slicks

My main concern is definitely the warrenty if the unthinkable does happen, not to mention I do not want to harm the engine. It only has 19,000 miles on it. The warrenty is up 04/06, but I will more then likely look to extend it given typical high repair cost. I guess if the unthinkable does happen, I could always switch the oil before it made the trip to the stealership.
Old 11-11-2005, 07:12 PM
NEED FOR SPEED
Safety Car

CI 3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10 Vet
St. Jude Donor '07

Don't worry about it. The new Mobil 1 Extended is best that Mobil makes. If you have problems,it will not be because of the oil.
Old 11-11-2005, 07:16 PM
ron06
Heel & Toe

I almost did the same thing - but saw it in the threads before doing the oil change. I took it back and exchanged it for regular Mobil 1. I couldn't figure out why the old Mobil 1 met the standard but the new oil didn't. It certainly looked like better oil from the package (it was NASCAR approved) and it was even more expensive!
Old 11-11-2005, 07:28 PM
BobbyG
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Just changed mine and put in Mobil 1 extended life 10W30 in my 04 Z. I only anticipate better lubrication, less wear and better performance.

Their extended life is a step up, not down. I don't know why anyone would expect to have catastrophic failure using this over the standard Mobil 1.

Bob
Old 11-11-2005, 07:36 PM
02bluez28
Instructor

Originally Posted by NEED FOR SPEED
Don't worry about it. The new Mobil 1 Extended is best that Mobil makes. If you have problems,it will not be because of the oil.
That,s Right
Old 11-11-2005, 07:55 PM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,192 Posts

It's actually not their best oil. Mobil 1's best oil is their 5w40 Truck & SUV formula (AKA Delvac 1, a very popular oil with long haul truckers)
Old 11-11-2005, 08:15 PM
waupachino
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by BobbyG
Just changed mine and put in Mobil 1 extended life 10W30 in my 04 Z. I only anticipate better lubrication, less wear and better performance.

Their extended life is a step up, not down. I don't know why anyone would expect to have catastrophic failure using this over the standard Mobil 1.

Bob

I was thinking the same thing and then I found out that Mobil 1 extended life does not meet GM Standard 4718M? I had not idea until I read it on the Forum this morning and then checked it on www.mobiloil.com. That is when my concern began.
Old 11-11-2005, 10:58 PM
Wisdom
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been running it in my '04 for 5140 miles so far. Right now my DIC says 42% left on oil life, where it would normally be around 20-25% (for me at least). I'll be changing it anyway since I don't like going past 5k between changes, but I find it interesting that the algorithym the engine uses to track oil life seems to see a difference with this oil.

- Wisdom
Old 11-12-2005, 12:11 AM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

I'm pretty certain that there is nothing in our cars that analyzes oil viscosity or chemical properties when oil life is calculated. Therefore, the "formula" that determines life assumes that you are using Mobil 1 or an oil with similar properties. So using a "better" oil will probably have nothing to do with remaining oil life numbers.
Old 11-12-2005, 02:23 AM
Joe’s Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 60 Likes on 35 Posts

Old 11-12-2005, 05:08 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by Wisdom
Been running it in my '04 for 5140 miles so far. Right now my DIC says 42% left on oil life, where it would normally be around 20-25% (for me at least). I'll be changing it anyway since I don't like going past 5k between changes, but I find it interesting that the algorithym the engine uses to track oil life seems to see a difference with this oil.

- Wisdom

Funny you should say that..I experienced the same thing yet had someone on here tell me NFW that was possible yet they hadn't tried it

Of course he was a frickin expert and wanted to argue with me for 3 days
Old 11-12-2005, 05:10 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by BobbyG

Bob

I switched as well..it synthetic Mobil1...no issues..no worries and longer oil life...anyone who doubts it...go ahead and try it....if you can prove to me it doesn't last longer according to the DIC in your car I will buy you 6qts of Mobil 1...so far all the detractors have done is run their mouth....
Old 11-12-2005, 09:18 AM
Bob25thTA
Instructor

This is from the Mobil1 website.

What is the difference between Mobil 1® Extended Performance and the currently available Mobil 1?

Mobil 1 Extended Performance formulas are designed specifically for today's longer service intervals and are guaranteed to protect for up to 15,000 miles or one year.

Mobil 1 Extended Performance has a unique formulation with boosted level of protection and performance. These formulations with the Advanced SuperSyn System contain 50 percent more SuperSyn, 36 percent more anti-wear additives, and 37 percent more cleaning agents than the current Mobil 1.

Get notified of new replies

To Anybody using Mobil 1 extended life 5WX30W?

Old 11-12-2005, 09:22 AM
BobbyG
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Originally Posted by Dave68
I'm pretty certain that there is nothing in our cars that analyzes oil viscosity or chemical properties when oil life is calculated. Therefore, the "formula" that determines life assumes that you are using Mobil 1 or an oil with similar properties. So using a "better" oil will probably have nothing to do with remaining oil life numbers.
God I love the shot in your rear-view mirror. The Vette's with the mountains in the background say it all.

Bob
Old 11-12-2005, 10:51 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob25thTA
This is from the Mobil1 website.

What is the difference between Mobil 1® Extended Performance and the currently available Mobil 1?

Mobil 1 Extended Performance formulas are designed specifically for today's longer service intervals and are guaranteed to protect for up to 15,000 miles or one year.

Mobil 1 Extended Performance has a unique formulation with boosted level of protection and performance. These formulations with the Advanced SuperSyn System contain 50 percent more SuperSyn, 36 percent more anti-wear additives, and 37 percent more cleaning agents than the current Mobil 1.
This is true however I was concerned when this happened and wrote to Mobile........what I was told was that the new oil did not flow as free as the GM spec and so it did not meet the fuel economy standard (from GM) the oil will protect as well and it has a better additive package so it will last longer.
That said I'll use the old stuff as the initial startup is when the most wear occurs. so as we should all know it's not neccesarily how many miles you put on your car but how many times you start it up. That fact make me want to use an oil which will get every where it's supposed to be quicker (The rocker arms and cam).
Most likely anyone who asks these questions really should not have the problem as we all change oil and care for our car more than enough to take care of a problem caused by to infrequent or even not just the very best oil. The people who need this wouldn't think of asking!
Old 11-12-2005, 11:13 AM
9T3JIM
Pro

NASCAR approved? That's special, life is to short to run around in circles.

Quick Reply: Anybody using Mobil 1 extended life 5WX30W?