Sponsored by:

Charging C5 Battery?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2006, 11:46 PM
99SilverC5Coupe
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Charging C5 Battery?

My replacement Exide Orbital gel battery went dead sitting in my C5. I have a charger that can be set for 2 amp or 6 amp charge rates. Which rate is best for the life of the battery?
Old 02-09-2006, 11:58 PM
1FUNVTT
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I am not 100% sure...I think a 6 amp charge is for a quick charge (30 minutes) and then you're off & running. Like if you left your lights on and it drained the battery.

The 2 amp is a slower charge (more like a trickle charge) to keep your battery up to snuff – for those garage queens & colds winter zones. And I heard that you can over charge a battery too, if you’re not careful.

Again, I am not sure about this and hopefully other CF will chime in if I am wrong.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:48 AM
rws.1
Race Director

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Slower rates are better for charging and battery life.
Get yourself a battery float charger for storage.
There are a number of brands.
They are the 21st Century version of a trickle charger . They have a chip that matches the charge rate to the current leakage.
Least expensive I have found is harbor freight.. Which has sold then ofter for under $10. on sale.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:15 PM
DjCritterus
Team Owner

Received 95 Likes on 55 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by rws.1
Slower rates are better for charging and battery life.
Get yourself a battery float charger for storage.
There are a number of brands.
They are the 21st Century version of a trickle charger . They have a chip that matches the charge rate to the current leakage.
Least expensive I have found is harbor freight.. Which has sold then ofter for under $10. on sale.

Good way to go if you don't drive much.

Slower rates put a "better" charge on the battery if you do it right. If you just want to charge it enough to start, the six amp is fine and then let the alternator do the rest. You can over charge the battery, though. Go with what WRS.1 suggested.

Starting batteries were meant to have a heavy load put on them over a short period of time with a quick charge to bring them back up to "snuff."

Do not treat these (especially the orbital red top) like a deep cell/marine battery. they are made for a long slow drain to empty and then a long, slow, low amp recharge to properly exercise the battery.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:17 PM
jawzforlife
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My gel battery needs atleast 6 amps to charge.
I had this same problem on momday.
2 amps would not bring it up to charge.
6 amps was needed.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:35 PM
Oldvetter
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

6 amps to bring it up to charge quickly, don't leave it on too long (3 hours max). Let battery rest for a half-hour or longer (to get correct voltage measurement), measure voltage (12.9 volts is fully charged, 11.4 is fully discharged). I would stop when battery measured 12.5 volts, as these AGM batteries can be overcharged.

The ONLY way to keep a battery charged that is not used much is a Battery Tender, even a 2 amp trickle charger will kill a battery in the long term. WallMart has a Black and Decker (1 and 2 amp selectable) for $17 with a 5 year warrrenty. Battery Tenders do take longer to fully charge AGM batteries.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:42 PM
screw991le
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Get a battery tender not a charger, they battery will last longer and has less chance of damage.

Get notified of new replies

To Charging C5 Battery?

Quick Reply: Charging C5 Battery?