Sponsored by:

Tire leaks, low pressure

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 01:48 PM
SD45-2
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire leaks, low pressure

I have an 2001 C5 and my right rear tire gets low on air in about 10 - 14 days, I took it up to a reputable tire place and they said they couldn’t find anything wrong with it, even after submerging the tire under water. They said it could be leaking from the valve stem / censor, has anyone ever heard of that before?
Old 04-11-2006, 09:19 AM
roscoe118
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, the O-ring seal at the base of the stem has been known to leak. I had one doing the same thing, and had the o-ring replaced when I had new tires installed. It fixed the problem.

I don't know the part number off of top of my head. I called that parts department at the local Chevy dealer and they said you couldn't buy just to o-ring, but someone here listed the part number and I was able to get one. Hopefully, someone will chime in with the correct part number.

You can also use a #9 rubber washer from Home Depot

You might want to have this moved to the Tech section.

Old 04-11-2006, 11:31 AM
HummelS
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Works like a champ...
Old 04-11-2006, 03:31 PM
edensknight
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by roscoe118
Yes, the O-ring seal at the base of the stem has been known to leak. I had one doing the same thing, and had the o-ring replaced when I had new tires installed. It fixed the problem.

I don't know the part number off of top of my head. I called that parts department at the local Chevy dealer and they said you couldn't buy just to o-ring, but someone here listed the part number and I was able to get one. Hopefully, someone will chime in with the correct part number.

You might want to have this moved to the Tech section.

Also, one of the metal inner valve stem cores was leaking (faulty) in my left rear, and, I had the inner core replaced (they are easily replaced and merely screwed in with a small and specialized plier at any tire servicer).
Old 04-11-2006, 03:34 PM
ArmyVette
Le Mans Master

If you have a neighbor with a kiddy pool, remove the tire and dunk it, looking for bubbles.

If you don't have that, make up some very soapy water and apply it to the value stem and where the tire and wheel meet, again looking for bubbles.

HTH.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:33 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,303 Likes on 13,975 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

roscoe is right - the o-rings can leak if not seated properly or if they are just worn. That would be where I would check first if nothing else is readily apparent.
Old 04-11-2006, 05:42 PM
Geno94
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

Wouldn't submerging the tire and wheel show valve/stem/o-ring leakage also if it was there?
Old 04-11-2006, 06:10 PM
Y2K Corvette
Instructor

i bought the valve stem seals at my local Chevy dealer, about $2.00 apiece
Old 04-11-2006, 07:04 PM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

If that fails mine leaked around the balance weight. It was pinching the bead and causing a leak. Took the tire guy 2 goes to find it.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:14 PM
ORANGEBROTHERS
Team Owner

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

remove the orings altogether and get some of those real nice c5 flag caps.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:35 PM
SD45-2
Heel & Toe

Default May have found the answer?

I took it to a GOOD tire shop, been in buisness for years. They also couldn't find the leak after submerging it in water for about an hour (I was there also). He then said we'll put nitrogen in the tire, the molecular structure of nitrogen has larger molecules than air and if there's a small leak, it will stop it. It also doesn't make your tire expand when it gets hot or contract when it gets cold, it will maintain what ever pressure you put in it. He said eventualy ALL tire shops will use nitrogen for inflating tires. If there's a tiny leak, he said it should maintain the pressure for at least 3 months. If it goes flat after that, I guess I'll buy a #9 o-ring or just replace the valve stem in itself.
Old 04-12-2006, 02:38 PM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by SD45-2
I took it to a GOOD tire shop, been in buisness for years. They also couldn't find the leak after submerging it in water for about an hour (I was there also). He then said we'll put nitrogen in the tire, the molecular structure of nitrogen has larger molecules than air and if there's a small leak, it will stop it. It also doesn't make your tire expand when it gets hot or contract when it gets cold, it will maintain what ever pressure you put in it. He said eventualy ALL tire shops will use nitrogen for inflating tires. If there's a tiny leak, he said it should maintain the pressure for at least 3 months. If it goes flat after that, I guess I'll buy a #9 o-ring or just replace the valve stem in itself.
Best of luck

I had Nitrogen in mine after the fit. Costco uses Nitrogen for inflation. It still didn't stop the leak until they found where the balance weight was pinching and replaced it.

Get notified of new replies

To Tire leaks, low pressure

Quick Reply: Tire leaks, low pressure