Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will Warranty Direct honor claims with a modded Vette?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 08:40 PM
91_LX
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will Warranty Direct honor claims with a modded Vette?

Hi guys,

I bought a Warranty Direct extended warranty until 2009 and have been thinking about changing the cat-back exhaust.

My fear is that if I take the car in for warranty work on the motor, they may claim the failure was a result of the aftermarket mods. I know there is a remote chance of motor problems, and an even more remote chance that the failure is a result of the mods; however, I really don't want to get into a battle with the warranty company.

That being said, has anyone had experience with Warranty Direct not covering a claim due to a lightly-modded vehicle?
Old 06-29-2006, 08:46 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,305 Likes on 13,977 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

I haven't had to turn in any claims with Warranty Direct yet, but when I had my car inspected by one of their inspectors prior to purchasing the warranty, I had a B&B exhaust and a Blackwing intake on the car and the inspector clearly saw it. They issued me a warranty and accepted my money, so if I have a claim they had better cover it. I don't see how something like a cat back exhaust would void any warranty work on the engine. But, other forum members may have direct experience by having filed a claim.
Old 06-29-2006, 09:29 PM
Z28TOZO6
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wondered myself as I would like to do mods but am hesitant. I don' think any bolt on stuff is going to hurt your warranty, but once you start rooting around inside, cam,eads etc I would be suspecting a denied stamp across the paperwork.

That said I also think that if the defective area was clearly not caused by the mods you would have a fighting chance, e.g. if you had trans problems and you put a cam in it, how could they blame the mods? Just a thought.
Old 06-29-2006, 09:55 PM
ValiantSailor
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Corsa is authorized and sold by Chevrolet. I would think they would be covered for sure. Its not like a mufflers going to break on you.
Old 06-29-2006, 09:57 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

if the mod caused the problem then yeah..other than that no they shouldn't
Old 06-30-2006, 10:08 PM
tsts
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 91_LX
Hi guys,

I bought a Warranty Direct extended warranty until 2009 and have been thinking about changing the cat-back exhaust.

My fear is that if I take the car in for warranty work on the motor, they may claim the failure was a result of the aftermarket mods. I know there is a remote chance of motor problems, and an even more remote chance that the failure is a result of the mods; however, I really don't want to get into a battle with the warranty company.

That being said, has anyone had experience with Warranty Direct not covering a claim due to a lightly-modded vehicle?
Why not ask Warranty Direct? Give them a short list of bolt on mods and ask them to identify which ones can be performed without disturbing the warranty (save the reply)?
Old 06-30-2006, 10:27 PM
C5 4 ME
Safety Car

Received 65 Likes on 58 Posts

My son bought his 2002 Vette from Carmax about a year ago and he was going to buy the extended warranty. When I asked the sales manager if the installation of air intake or cat back exhaust would void the warranty, he indicated that it would. He did not buy the extended warranty. Hope this helps.
Old 07-01-2006, 09:36 PM
JCFILM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tsts
Why not ask Warranty Direct? Give them a short list of bolt on mods and ask them to identify which ones can be performed without disturbing the warranty (save the reply)?

Rather than wondering or asking on the forum - you need to ask Warranty Direct as their answer is the only one that matters. Save their reply for proof.
Old 07-01-2006, 10:07 PM
diyguy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JDs00PewterCoupe
They issued me a warranty and accepted my money, so if I have a claim they had better cover it.
Giving someone money and making assumptions as to what the policy will pay for makes about as much sense as putting a screen door on a submarine.

Ask whomever you buy your insurance (warranty) for a copy of the policy and use your eyes to read what is, and what isn't covered.
Old 07-02-2006, 10:35 AM
mag red vette
Instructor

Default Warranty Direct -No Mods

I had just taken out an extended policy with Warranty Direct, when I called them regarding mods. Their response was that anything that was not stock from the factory would void the warranty. When I asked if this included non Delco oil filters and the like, his response was anything not stock from the factory would void the warranty. He claimed this was clearly stated in the fine print towards the end of the warranty policy documents. Now maybe he was kidding about the oil filter, but after spending all that money for a 60,00 or 70,00 mile extended warranty, I was not about to find out down the road, that no repairs would be covered because of a cat back system or Blackwing air intake system. I cancelled the policy and received a full refund. As far as an inspection is concerned, unless the modifications are included in the inspector's report, it will be your word against the inspector's as to whether or not the mods were installed prior to the inspection. I would certainly hate to have that argument at the time of a major repair, long after the extended warranty was purchased.

Get notified of new replies

To Will Warranty Direct honor claims with a modded Vette?

Quick Reply: Will Warranty Direct honor claims with a modded Vette?