Sponsored by:

AC Delco AGM battery?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 02:19 PM
Gideon's_Test
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default AC Delco AGM battery?

I've read that the 78P-7YR is the AC Delco AGM battery, however I can only find the 78-7YR...Is this actually an AGM battery? I read that the 78P-7YR was discontinued. Is this correct, and what is the part number for the Delco AGM that fits in the 'vette? Also, what chain stores sell AC Delco?

Thanks!

Last edited by Gideon's_Test; 04-30-2008 at 02:21 PM.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:25 PM
Ryan L
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Never heard of a current AC Delco AGM battery. Your choices are either Napa/Exide Orbital or Optima. Optimas seem to be flakey for some, so I'd stick with the Napa/Exide Orbital.
Old 04-30-2008, 02:46 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Received 213 Likes on 185 Posts

Google is your friend,

Looks like they do make AGM
http://www.batteryweb.com/acdelco_agm.cfm
Old 04-30-2008, 02:58 PM
Gideon's_Test
Drifting

jprich:
I went to that site before I posted, and it indicated that the 78P-7YR is discontinued:
Old 04-30-2008, 03:20 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Here you go:

http://198.208.187.182/internet/Vehi...e=18&part=2476

The 78-7YR is the correct replacement battery. here's a short history:

The 97-00 AC Delco batteries had a tendency to leak from the positive terminal. The panic to replace them was so widespread that even in..
2001, when the AGM battery was introduced, C5 owners were mistakenly told to replace them, even though this version was leak and vibration-proof (my 01 battery lasted 7 years).

In 2004, GM went with top-terminal batteries and AC Delco discontinued its AGM series, primarily because the absorbant glass mat design was and is (as Optima Red Tops) weakened severely by infrequent use or short-duration trips. Those who use AGM-style batteries must either drive often/far enough or connect a battery tender to the battery.

The 04-present AC Delco non-AGM batteries benefit from a redesigned case, which is significantly stronger than the 97-00 case. These Professional batteries carry a 50-month free-replacement warranty - best of them all), the remaining 34 months being a pro-rated warranty.

You can get them at Murray's Discount stores. I just bought one for my 01 and I fully expect it to last another 7 years.
Old 04-30-2008, 03:26 PM
Gideon's_Test
Drifting

Ah...so they no longer make the AGM's and the 78-7YR is the non-AGM replacement...Thanks for the info and the detailed explanation..
Old 04-30-2008, 03:29 PM
Gideon's_Test
Drifting

I only drive mine 2-3 days a week (max), so a Red Top is not a good option. Looks like the Yellow Top is a better choice. Just annoyed because it only has a 2yr warranty, and costs $180...
Old 04-30-2008, 03:42 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Buying an expensive AGM battery is like buying super-expensive run-flat tires. The cost of feeling "safe" or "protected" is significant. Only you can decide if the extra money is worth it, but I can assure you that leaky 2004 and newer battery reports are very rare in this forum. Based upon this fact and my conversation with an AC Delco person, I felt that their latest battery is an excellent choice for most people.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:35 AM
silversport
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dave68...thanks for that history lesson...right on...I still have my AGM in my '01...strong as ever but I use the Battery Tender Plus from time to time when the 'Vette's gonna sit...I didn't know they discontinued them...I have had good luck with A/C Delco batteries since 1985...'cept their cheap AAs they sell at Menard's...shorter life than the Duracell or Energizers I'm used to...
Bill
Old 05-01-2008, 10:14 AM
bestvettever
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default New Delco Not an AGM

Originally Posted by Gideon's_Test
Ah...so they no longer make the AGM's and the 78-7YR is the non-AGM replacement...Thanks for the info and the detailed explanation..
Hi I recently posted this in answer to another similar question. Dave's explanation is right on the money. Below is some more info to chew on. Also Yesterday I posted a new thread asking if anybody had a less than 2 year old AC Delco, that failed or leaked, (among other battery questions), and so far not one post saying yes. Unless more info comes in on that post It would lead me to believe that the new Delco batteries are quite a solid choice.
Good Luck
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Originally Posted by Kamil D.
Red top or yellow top what’s batter?

If I have the car but don drive very often but I will still use a battery charger witch one should I buy?
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++
If you are narrowing your choice to Optima Red or Yellow, you should know that the yellow is really made for other types of applications, it is a deep discharge battery, it has advantages for applications needing heavy electric capabilities, like huge stereo units, marine use, and anything that will sustain heavy discharging as a rule. The disadvantage is that it is more difficult to maintain a full charge, needs more powerful charging equipment, and has less start/charge cycles built into it than a more normal car start battery. It will work, but it puts an additional strain on the alt, and you will pay much more for it, and it will not last longer than a less expensive battery. The Red is more appropriate than the yellow for a normal car or even the vette. If you choose to use a battery maintainer on the redtop, you must make sure that you use one that specifically says that it will keep an AGM battery full charged, and has at least a 1.25 amp charge rate, and special circuitry for an AGM. Now I'm sure others have differing opinions on which is better and maybe some will post, but that is my opinion on the Red / Yellow decision. Ultimatly I would not choose either for my vette, because the AC Delco Pro is an excellant battery with a 50 month Free replacement, and the remainder of 7 yrs pro rata , and is less costly to buy. But I have no reason to say that a Red or yellow will not work, they just need some special handling to get the full potential out of them.
Good Luck

Last edited by bestvettever; 05-01-2008 at 10:21 AM.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:20 AM
Gideon's_Test
Drifting

Bestvettever:
I agree with your thoughts regarding the Optima's & have come to the same conclusion: I'm going to give the new AC Delco's a shot. A local forum member has a 78H6YR for sale that's a month or two old..Been on a bettery tender...He's asking $80...Does that sound fair?
Old 05-01-2008, 10:21 PM
bestvettever
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Fair Battery Price

Originally Posted by Gideon's_Test
Bestvettever:
I agree with your thoughts regarding the Optima's & have come to the same conclusion: I'm going to give the new AC Delco's a shot. A local forum member has a 78H6YR for sale that's a month or two old..Been on a bettery tender...He's asking $80...Does that sound fair?
Hi, I'll answer this at the risk of sounding cynical. The price is very fair, IFyou can verify that the battery is only a few months old by the manufacturing code, not the date of sale, and can verify that the battery was maintained properly without letting it fall into a state of discharge. The cost of a new 7yr 50month free replacement Delco pro is probably about 40 dollars more. I absolutely did not imply any aspursions about the batteries owner, sometimes even the original owner doesn't know the manuf code build date.
Good Luck

Get notified of new replies

To AC Delco AGM battery?

Quick Reply: AC Delco AGM battery?