Sponsored by:

intake modification idea

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 02:27 PM
ferrari red vette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default intake modification idea

i currently have a dual cone intake. i was trying to see how i can get more air-flow to get to it. couple of ideas were: 1) cut open the fog light surround. they do sell pre-cut ones, but if all i gotta do is cut a hole, i can do it myself and save $50-70. .. 2) after i cut the hole in the fog light area, attach a hose (like a heater hose- flexible material) and lead it towards my intake cone.. .. i dont think i really want to do either of those, so i thought of a third idea; 3) cut a hole/slits where my intake sits on the radiator shroud so air can directly hit the filters from beneath

this is what my intake looks like

i did a quick google search and i came up with some pictures of people doing something similar with their Haltech Stinger.. i dont know if this is really how Haltech installs them, but it looks like a good idea. only difference is that i dont want my filters to go through the shroud outside the engine compartment, rather i just want to cut a hole/slits where the actual filter lays against the plastic

http://www.2phast.com/Corvette/tric.htm
Old 01-26-2009, 02:37 PM
Wicked C5
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04

Do yourself a favor and sell that twin flow and pick up a Vararam,Haltech or Vortex. I had the exact same intake on my 1st C5 back in 01 and cause's turbulence at the MAF and doesn't gain much. You would be better off just taking one of filters and attaching it to the end of the maf.

Good luck
Old 01-26-2009, 02:49 PM
Todd157k
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Even the flip tie method breaths better than the dual cones. There was a guy about a year ago that did what you're talking about. Didn't work all that well from what I remember.. but it did look
Old 01-26-2009, 03:44 PM
ferrari red vette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Wicked C5
Do yourself a favor and sell that twin flow and pick up a Vararam,Haltech or Vortex. I had the exact same intake on my 1st C5 back in 01 and cause's turbulence at the MAF and doesn't gain much. You would be better off just taking one of filters and attaching it to the end of the maf.

Good luck
I want to do a Chuck Cow tune while it's still on sale for $199 (plus gotta get a $50 low temp tstat) so I cant afford a Vararam and a tune.. but maybe I will put one cone @ the MAF. But im wondering where I would attach the little black hose to if I do that (the one that used to attach to the driver's side on the stock air box.. currently its attached a hole on the dual cone)

Originally Posted by Todd157k
Even the flip tie method breaths better than the dual cones. There was a guy about a year ago that did what you're talking about. Didn't work all that well from what I remember.. but it did look
maybe Ill do flip tie with a K&N Filter...
Old 01-26-2009, 04:11 PM
Todd157k
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a K&N filter element that I used for about a month. Then I got the blower. It's yours for $20. I'll cover shipping. PM me if you want it.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:27 PM
Wicked C5
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '04

Originally Posted by ferrari red vette
I want to do a Chuck Cow tune while it's still on sale for $199 (plus gotta get a $50 low temp tstat) so I cant afford a Vararam and a tune.. but maybe I will put one cone @ the MAF. But im wondering where I would attach the little black hose to if I do that (the one that used to attach to the driver's side on the stock air box.. currently its attached a hole on the dual cone)

maybe Ill do flip tie with a K&N Filter...
Pick up a thermostat at azone for $13.00 and do a Dyno tune at CMS. Give him a call I don't think it will be ton's more for a basic tune with bolt on's. Take the twin flow off sell if for about $90.00 and pick up a Donaldson or Vortex for about $100.00 -$125.00 used or just buy a K&N that slips onto your MAF.

You can do a mail order tune but I just think it's kind of a waste if your only doing bolt ons. Also if you do a tune at CMS he will give you a touch up as you upgrade more parts. Good luck on your upgrades. I kinda wish I was still new to corvettes it was a good amount of fun swapping out parts with trial and error. Now I am maxed out on motor side unless I blow it up
Old 01-27-2009, 12:49 AM
ferrari red vette
Burning Brakes

Pick up a thermostat at azone for $13.00 and do a Dyno tune at CMS. Give him a call I don't think it will be ton's more for a basic tune with bolt on's. Take the twin flow off sell if for about $90.00 and pick up a Donaldson or Vortex for about $100.00 -$125.00 used or just buy a K&N that slips onto your MAF.

You can do a mail order tune but I just think it's kind of a waste if your only doing bolt ons. Also if you do a tune at CMS he will give you a touch up as you upgrade more parts. Good luck on your upgrades. I kinda wish I was still new to corvettes it was a good amount of fun swapping out parts with trial and error. Now I am maxed out on motor side unless I blow it up
thermostat will be $31.99 since i have a 98, and it uses the 1 piece housing+tstat.

how much is the CMS tune

i know a tune for bolt ons might not be logical, but i have an automatic, in which you see a helluva difference apparently. at least thats what Chuck says and what his customers who have gotten it say. Now if you had a 6MT, that would be a different story, not too much gain there.. dont know why either.

btw, i remember seeing a k&n that was nice and big/long for $99 brand new.. i forgot which thread it was in and the item #.. any ideas? goes right on the MAF

edit: here i found some, but a little over $99..
http://store.knfilters.com/search/pr...x?Prod=RP-5135
http://store.knfilters.com/search/pr...x?Prod=RF-1038
http://store.knfilters.com/search/pr...x?Prod=RP-5070

im assuming all those fit right on the MAF? also, is the first one the best? seems like it has the greatest surface area.

Last edited by ferrari red vette; 01-27-2009 at 01:04 AM.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:20 AM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Keep it cool!

The least expensive way to transform what you have into more of a cold air system would be to core holes in the fog light panels. You could then install Z06 screens so even if your holes aren't perfect, no one will know.
My lower radiator cover modification is better suited for Halltech and Blackwing intakes, as their filters are far narrower than the twin cone profile.

Either way, your engine will benefit by not having to "dial back" power when the engine bay heats up. You can preserve 10 RWHP just by keeping the intake air cool.
Old 01-27-2009, 10:23 AM
bucwheat
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Good luck
That's your opinion ,I have the double intake and I opened up the area behind the front tag and added additional holes where the fog light holes are and my horse power increased at the rear by 16hp.I also added the hood seal mod to keep out water from the filters.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:03 AM
Wicked C5
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '04

Originally Posted by bucwheat
That's your opinion ,I have the double intake and I opened up the area behind the front tag and added additional holes where the fog light holes are and my horse power increased at the rear by 16hp.I also added the hood seal mod to keep out water from the filters.
And you have never had the P0176 check engine code? I find that hard to believe. Next time your on the dyno take the twin flow off and just stick one of the filters on the end of your MAF I would be shocked if your numbers changed.

Do a search I have had a couple of the twin flow setups since the systems date back to 1999 and the car always felt better and had no stupid engine codes when I dumped the filter. If it works for you then great
Old 01-27-2009, 11:19 AM
34RedRage
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bucwheat

you will need to prove that you had 16hp gain from opening up your compartment for a duel cone....i do not believe that gain was achieved...
Old 01-27-2009, 11:40 AM
Silverbullet00
Race Director

Location: Norman Oklahoma - The Only State in the Union with no Blue Counties!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Get the B2 Vararam, you don't need a tune for it! Then save up for a dyno tune!

my $00.02

Old 01-27-2009, 12:55 PM
ferrari red vette
Burning Brakes

i never got a code with my dual cone..

Get notified of new replies

To intake modification idea

Quick Reply: intake modification idea