Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For track days & autocross - Should I convert to manual or stay automatic?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 03:42 PM
The Dark Knight
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For track days & autocross - Should I convert to manual or stay automatic?

I have an '04 automatic coupe. I was discussing some transmission upgrade questions with some of the other members and I great advice about the transmission vendors to look into, but I got mixed reviews of whether I should keep it automatic or switch to manual for weekend track days and autocrossing.

So, whata think and why?
Old 03-27-2009, 11:36 PM
itzza427
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

What is your % of tracking vs autocross? On an open track seems the M6 would be better,,where it would seem the A4 would have an edge on a tight autocross. Personally I like my M6,,but I'm old school,,even on the strip!!
Old 03-27-2009, 11:46 PM
JEEP/C5
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the most part On a a4 I would think shift it into 3rd and leave it. On tight/slowish parking lot auto cross coarse 2nd would be fine IMO.

IMO I would leave an auto vette alone and purchase a 6sp if you want a 6sp and transfer over all of your bolt ons that you can.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:56 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

At least 90% of the folks I see at AX and Track events are manual (all brands). I've never driven an auto in either venue so can not give a comparison. I just can't see the auto working well on a road track but YMMV. On AX it would probably be ok. Most AX courses you shift to 2nd right away and leave it there the whole time.

I'd recommend you do some events with the auto (assuming you haven't already), talk to some folks at the track. Usually in AX events, once you meet a few folks, you can trade cars for "fun runs", maybe you'll get the opportunity to try a manual. If you don't like it...swap it out in the future.
Old 03-29-2009, 10:36 PM
FiberglassFan
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you keep your A4, it is possible to totally re-map the shifting points with one of the better tuning programs..Even the lowly LS1-Edit can do transmission map editing. This may be even more important if you have the tall geared rear and ratio..I have the shorter 3.15 differential, and wish it were even lower...Don't need top speed, need more grunt below 100!

I had mine completely remapped to extend the shift points way higher, even at light throttle. I got tired of it hitting 3rd at 20 some MPH, and lugging around at low RPM with slow response if you really needed to go quickly...

Now it it won't even get into 2nd until 28mph , and 3rd until 49mph. At wide open throttle, it will not shift until redline. The car is no MUCH more responsive and doesn't hunt gears at moderate speeds. Another thing, the shift tightness can also be programmed for less time as one band lets off and the band for the next gear engages.

Run with traction control switched off... the throttle seems to react faster, and the trans seem to shift a little faster too, but only the programmer guys know for sure! I wish we had real throttle cables instead of a computer driven servo motor for the throttle...Anybody ever put in a Camaro LS series intake and computer? It is a direct connection to the throttle pedal, no computer lag to hold you back...
Old 03-29-2009, 11:37 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,959 Likes on 5,346 Posts

In an autocross you should be OK but on the track the automatic is a PIA. They never shift when you want them to shift. Either to late or to soon. The problem comes when braking for a turn and getting the transmission to down shift at the correct time. If it downshifts early you are still on the brakes, too late you are on the throttle and the downshift comes right at the correct time to spin you off the track. Then you get all the heat buildup in the tranny.

Bill
Old 03-30-2009, 12:14 AM
FactoryRaceCar
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by The Dark Knight
I have an '04 automatic coupe. I was discussing some transmission upgrade questions with some of the other members and I great advice about the transmission vendors to look into, but I got mixed reviews of whether I should keep it automatic or switch to manual for weekend track days and autocrossing.

So, whata think and why?
Coming from someone with old school HPDEs experience, manual is the way to go if you want to be competitive. If you just want to have fun, there is nothing wrong with starting out with A4 at all but you will soon realize that manual is the way to go.

However, we now do have cars that can upshift and downshift with triptronic type transmissions that will put an experienced MN6 driver to shame on a track even with a novice driver behind the wheel. New Nissan GTR is one example along with all Formula 1 cars
Old 03-30-2009, 12:44 AM
Silverbullet00
Race Director

Location: Norman Oklahoma - The Only State in the Union with no Blue Counties!
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by FactoryRaceCar
Coming from someone with old school HPDEs experience, manual is the way to go if you want to be competitive. If you just want to have fun, there is nothing wrong with starting out with A4 at all but you will soon realize that manual is the way to go.

However, we now do have cars that can upshift and downshift with triptronic type transmissions that will put an experienced MN6 driver to shame on a track even with a novice driver behind the wheel. New Nissan GTR is one example along with all Formula 1 cars

Had to hear your opinion on this one! Are you saying that just when I am getting decent wth my MN6 I should junk it? Just went to the road course last week for the first time,,,,wow that was fun! My current sig pic was shot there by SWR!

When's the next vette coming!
Old 03-30-2009, 01:01 AM
FactoryRaceCar
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by Silverbullet00
Had to hear your opinion on this one! Are you saying that just when I am getting decent wth my MN6 I should junk it? Just went to the road course last week for the first time,,,,wow that was fun! My current sig pic was shot there by SWR!

When's the next vette coming!
All I am saying is that technology has advanced a lot. Some exotic paddle shifters upshift and downshift within half a second and give you a LOT better control over the manual transmission. Launch control etc etc. Any of these cars with semi automatic transmissions are far superior than manual transmissions IMHO. I have driven a few of them, and honestly I do not miss manual at all. I think they are da bomb! Since it's C5 General, I cannot even mention the names I am afraid

My new car will be out of the shop this coming Friday. Everytime I post something about the latest progress (all my friends hang out here) in C5 General, the thread gets locked. Not my loss
Old 03-30-2009, 04:38 PM
Purerock105
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by FactoryRaceCar
Pretty much. I've done a fair share of HPDE's at Sebring and Road Atlanta with my A4. Dewitts/tranny cooler plus oil cooler keeps everything pretty cool. I'm never on the track longer than 20-25 minutes. Just for fun, nowhere near the ultra-competitive guys.

In tight turns I can hold in 2nd gear, as my tuning allows up to about 100mph before I'm close to redline. Straights into 3rd, but I'm experienced enough with my car to know when it to shift down to 2nd and load the car properly into the turn. You certainly DO NOT want the car to lurch with the downshift from 3-2 while in the turn. Back end can kick around on you. (I'm also running a Yank SY3500 tc)

I was a little worried too, until my first time with an instructor, who said that most guys starting out with manuals shift too much anyway, and that having an A4 with that mindset will preclude you from shifting only when needed.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:06 PM
chaase
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

An A4 is for drag racing and the MN6/MN12 are for auto-x and road racing. Its up to you what you want to do, but if I ever decided to do a lot more road racing I would just sell/trade my vert for another C5 w/a stick.
Old 03-30-2009, 05:16 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

On a road course you MUST manually shift your A4. Downshift at the end of the brake zone, before turn in. Upshift as you accelerate past track out.

Other wise he A4 downshifts AFTER the corner, and unsettles your car.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:15 PM
stingraymyway
Race Director

Location: Out of Site...Out of Mind. Corvette: anything else is just transportation.
Received 134 Likes on 103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Sounds like a good excuse to get a 2nd Vette.

Get notified of new replies

To For track days & autocross - Should I convert to manual or stay automatic?

Quick Reply: For track days & autocross - Should I convert to manual or stay automatic?