Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Doe's any brand of high test not have ethanol???

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 06:38 PM
Jacks02
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Tigershark3
It slowly eats away at the rubber components. In Indiana BP (was AMOCO) switched to 10% ethanol several years ago (not posted on the pumps) - totally destroyed a fuel line and contaminated a good part of the fuel system.
Did same to my '67 Jaguar XKE. Went into the garage one morning, and found gas all over the floor! All the plastic parts in the fuel system, and the SU carburator diaphrams had melted. I was not pleased. Fortunately, all the replacement parts (from Joe Curto) are friendly to the "new" gas, so problem was fixed in a few hours with miminal tools.
Old 05-25-2009, 06:56 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by Jacks02
Did same to my '67 Jaguar XKE. Went into the garage one morning, and found gas all over the floor! All the plastic parts in the fuel system, and the SU carburator diaphrams had melted. I was not pleased. Fortunately, all the replacement parts (from Joe Curto) are friendly to the "new" gas, so problem was fixed in a few hours with miminal tools.
I have to disagree.... We been using it here for 6-7 years and never a prob, Do you really believe that if it destroyed fuel lines it would be legal? I think maybe seeing your car was a 67 the fuel lines just went bad. I don't see how you can blame it on the 10%. In over 7 years using it never a prob and have never heard of one.....
Old 05-25-2009, 07:53 PM
Gonzo
Le Mans Master

Received 152 Likes on 117 Posts

WOW....Thank you!!!!! I did try and search and had no luck so I really appreciate you giving me those links

I want to try the 100 octane and see if I can tell a diffrerence between that and what I have been using. It looks like the Sunoco product does not us the ethanol, is that the best choice??

Again Thank you,
Gonzo
Old 05-25-2009, 08:18 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

With some of the different engines and tunes, we found close to a 20 hp increase with 100 octane. BUT the motor must be tunned for the 100 octane
Old 05-25-2009, 08:38 PM
robsc501
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi There:
Did a google on this subject.I was surprized that it went into effect in 1990.
MTBE started getting added to gasoline in a big way after the Clean Air Act of 1990 went into effect. Gasoline can contain as much as 10% to 15% MTBE.

The main problem with MTBE is that it is thought to be carcinogenic, and it mixes easily with water. If gasoline containing MTBE leaks from an underground tank at a gas station, it can get into groundwater and contaminate wells. Of course, MTBE isn't the only thing getting into the groundwater when a tank leaks -- so is gasoline and a host of other gasoline additives, but in recent years, MTBE has been singled out.
robsc501

Last edited by robsc501; 05-25-2009 at 08:41 PM.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:42 PM
GREG O.
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default ethanol

In Md. the BP stations do not have any signs on the pumps that they contain ethanol. Now they got something called Invigorate. What ever the hell that is All the Sunoco's station that i visited in Md. have signs posting on every pump that there gas contains 10% ethanol. Sunoco lost me as a customer when they stopped selling 94 octane. abut 2 years ago here in Md. I'll will run out of gas first b/4 i put a drop of Sunoco in my tanks. Sunoco is a sell out
Old 05-26-2009, 05:31 AM
rebelheart
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ethanol is also more corrosive and eats away at metal components,but most late model cars have alloys that will tolerate it. I have a hard time understanding why anyone would use 87 or 89 octane in a vette though.........
Old 05-26-2009, 06:38 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Fuel may contain ( which almost all stations do) have UP TO 10% Etoh ( Ethanol ) WITHOUT posting signs legally.

Basically figure there IS Ethanol in every fuel unless the stations post a sign, NO Ethanol Added

Ethanol can come from many sources. Ethanol in US fuel is derived from corn to prop up the farm and corn subsidies. Not necessarily reduce emissions.

Ethanol used in Central and South America is derived from sugar cane
Old 05-26-2009, 06:59 AM
Tigershark3
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

Here's how you can tell if there's ethanol in the fuel. Fill a container to a specific mark on a clear glass container then fill the rest with the fuel. The real gas will separate from the water but the ethanol will bind with the water and the "water level" will move up about 10%. I test periodically for my a/c to make sure it still all gas. I'm sure at some point (especially with the current administration) that all gas will have 10% at which time I'll have to resort to more expensive 100LL aviation fuel.
Old 05-26-2009, 12:01 PM
srs244
Safety Car

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by rebelheart
Ethanol is also more corrosive and eats away at metal components,but most late model cars have alloys that will tolerate it. I have a hard time understanding why anyone would use 87 or 89 octane in a vette though.........
there have been many articles written over the last year or so regarding ethanol and it's affects on fuel systems. in the beginning, many were written with particular attention to the boating industry. it has something to do with the mixture of the fuel and the condensation that can form in partially (not completely) full fuel tanks. there are several products available (very similar to the old "dry gas" we used to use years ago in climates with cold winters) that have been formulated to reduce if not eliminate the problems created by the 10% ethanol. i happen to have a bottle of one of the product in my garage that i use on my 78 pace car (the name escapes me, but if i remember, i'll post it this evening). a simple google search will bring up some pretty interesting reading on the subject. it is worth reading if you have any older vehicles.

the product is named STARTRON ENZYME FUEL TREATMENT" it's pretty expensive per bottle but it's one of those things where a little goes a long way. it's an ounce per 20 gallon tankful. it works out to about $1/treatment. if you research the problems, i believe you'll agree it is something pretty necessary for pre mid 1990's vehicles.

Last edited by srs244; 05-28-2009 at 03:04 PM. Reason: addition of product name

Quick Reply: Doe's any brand of high test not have ethanol???