Sponsored by:

Kudos to Rodney Dickman's Vehicle Accessories

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 10:05 PM
FiberglassFan
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Kudos to Rodney Dickman's Vehicle Accessories

The evening before I had to leave on a remote recording job a few weeks ago, my right headlight started up the 'machine gun' sound when closing It was so embarasing to pull into the motel late, after the concert, and make ALL THAT AWFUL NOISE in the process of just turning off my headlights!!!..After I got home I started a thread about here in "General", where it was confirmed that the lift motor was indeed suffering a stripped nylon gear. Years ago I found out about Rodney and his bronze gear replacements, and had filed away the info in case I ever needed it....and now that time had come. Earlier this week I ordered the gear kit, and he has many to choose from, each specific to the exact application and model year, a painless PayPal procedure, and asked that if it was possible, I would like it to arrive on or before Friday so I could do the deed over the weekend,..no problem sez he, .. and as promised the package arrived on Friday. Everthing was well packed in individual prtective bubble sheet, zipper envelope, etc, as appropriate. I found a beautifully made bronze gear, a new rubber drive insert for the gear, and new cover gasket, a supply of special grease, and well written detailed instructions...Nice quality stuff and well worth the total $50 bucks including the Priority Mail. Today was the day. I took an extra step and actually removed the headlight from the frame, as it was MUCH easier for me to get to the mounting bolts that way. Upon removing the motor and then the gearcase cover, it was very clear that indeed there was some broken nylon teeth, not enough to keep the headlight down, but enough to really screw it up. I cleaned out the old parts, cleaned out the old grease, and proceeded to install the new...Perfect fit, and with new grease, slick as can be....Then I took a break inside to cool drink and recover from the 90 plus heat outside....re-installation was a snap, and then the grand moment...Perfection! My headlights now go up and down as they are supposed to, and turn on and off properly too.

Rodney has been offering robust replacement parts for oddball GM cars since the days of the Fiero, which also shares the same basic headlight system as the C5...Great stuff, and exceptionally fair pricing for the quality of kit you get.

Replacing the lift motor with another poorly made GM OEM part is about 5 times more expensive, more if you pay a shop to do the job. This kit from Rodney IMPROVES the original system, increases reliability and save a HUGE amount of money.

You can see a high res. photo of the bronxe gear, and learn a WHOLE lot more at Rodney's website...
http://www.rodneydickman.com/corvette.html

Thanks to those who answered my questions on the earlier thread, and thanks to Rodney Dickman for offering an affordable and quality solution to the problem!

Happy Birthday America on this 4th of July

Jennifer
Old 07-05-2009, 09:33 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,302 Likes on 13,975 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Good deal that you got it fixed. Have heard only good things about Rodney's merchandise.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:15 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Glad you got it fixed Jennifer
Old 07-05-2009, 11:55 AM
Cod
Bazinga!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by DeeGee
Glad you got it fixed Jennifer
Old 07-05-2009, 12:29 PM
Rich-
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have met Rodney and purchaced several parts from him over the years
he is a leader in the fiero world i have had 7 fieros over they years and many parts from him
great to deal with,... always
Old 07-05-2009, 12:36 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Originally Posted by JDs00PewterCoupe
Good deal that you got it fixed. Have heard only good things about Rodney's merchandise.
glad you got the good deal on the parts and all fixed
Old 07-05-2009, 03:36 PM
FiberglassFan
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This was really an easy job, and I suggest that almost anyone that pull a wiring plug and re-insert it, and that has a No 2 Phillips head screw driver, the right size torx bit, a 10mm socket and combination wrench, and a 13mm socket, can do this...Oh, yeah, there was also a small socket of a size I don't recall needed to open the gear case, i think it was 6.5mm, or the nearest inch/fraction...
Old 07-05-2009, 08:37 PM
dobewillie
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

glad you got a fix will check out the web site
Old 07-06-2009, 12:24 AM
Rob 99
I'm "Apache" a psycho dog
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Rich-
i have met Rodney and purchaced several parts from him over the years
he is a leader in the fiero world i have had 7 fieros over they years and many parts from him
great to deal with,... always
thank goodnes for Rodney and his innovations

Get notified of new replies

To Kudos to Rodney Dickman's Vehicle Accessories

Quick Reply: Kudos to Rodney Dickman's Vehicle Accessories