Sponsored by:

Vertical Doors, Please Step In

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 09:16 PM
ALLEGRO
Le Mans Master

Received 135 Likes on 84 Posts

Default Vertical Doors, Please Step In

I am looking for the BEST kit for my AE. Let me know what you have, how you like it and what you don't like about it.

Thanks ahead
Old 05-07-2010, 10:40 PM
Jewjenk
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do a search, you'll find it.................................
Old 05-07-2010, 10:45 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

if you can find one I have the GT Factory kit. I love it. I have no complaints at all about it.
Opens and shuts perfectly everytime
adjustable for how high you wont doors to go
opens out far enough to get in and out
rolls up and over the fenders
do not hang out like some do
very well build heavy duty hinges
2 150 lb support shocks which i actually changed one on each side to a 90 lb for easier opening
draws attention like no other mod i have done to this point.

Only bad thing is i wish i would have done them sooner.

LSD would be my recommendation to you right now based on the fact GT Factory is not available anymore unless used.
There is the Dream Car Custom kits which do not require inner fender work and easier install but personally i dont like how they open myself. Looks to be a very well built kit and alot of people like them. The way they open and look open is just my view on them.

just dont try to go cheap go LSD or Verticle Doors and you will be happy
Old 05-08-2010, 03:40 AM
dieseldave56
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Been there , done that........

Did a indepth research study on just this subject in March.http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...-assembly.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-z...-assembly.html

The LSD door hinges are just under twice the price ($2200- $2400)of the Dream Car Custom hinges ($1350 painted $1500 powder coated -$1800 for SST or chrome plated).http://www.dreamcarcustom.com/

The Dream Car website has DIY install video that also shows how they are produced.

The LSD have to have the door edge trimed 1/2" and one fender brace removed and another cut in half. LSD uses just one ram.http://www.lsd-doors.de/us/

http://www.stillen.com/product.asp?i...R01&c=EX&m=all

GT Factory http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-p...mbo-doors.html

http://www.autoaccessorystore.com/ho...=detail&id=671

My choice was Dream Car ( powder coated silver to match the car and the owner ,Tony did not charge me for the extra powder coating so total shipped was $1350)
The Dream Car hinges have adjustable horizonal opening widths, adjustment for how high the doors will open and adjustments for how close the doors are to the body when in the raised position.
The dual rams are US made( inexpensive to replace if ever need be), as is the entire hinge assembly. The hinges bolt in the exact OEM location and using the same OEM threads. No modifications at all.
As a retired journeyman machinist, fabricator, cert. welder and custom vehicle designer I appreciate the fact that with Dream Car Customs I deal directly with the owner/ designer/ fabricator and not some sales person. Just a phone call for any questions or suggestions. Customer service oriented.

Last edited by dieseldave56; 05-08-2010 at 04:03 AM.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:57 AM
20vette0107fatboy
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by dieseldave56
Did a indepth research study on just this subject in March.http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-g...-assembly.html

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-z...-assembly.html

The LSD door hinges are just under twice the price ($2200- $2400)of the Dream Car Custom hinges ($1350 painted $1500 powder coated -$1800 for SST or chrome plated).http://www.dreamcarcustom.com/

The Dream Car website has DIY install video that also shows how they are produced.

The LSD have to have the door edge trimed 1/2" and one fender brace removed and another cut in half. LSD uses just one ram.http://www.lsd-doors.de/us/

http://www.stillen.com/product.asp?i...R01&c=EX&m=all

GT Factory http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-p...mbo-doors.html

http://www.autoaccessorystore.com/ho...=detail&id=671

My choice was Dream Car ( powder coated silver to match the car and the owner ,Tony did not charge me for the extra powder coating so total shipped was $1350)
The Dream Car hinges have adjustable horizonal opening widths, adjustment for how high the doors will open and adjustments for how close the doors are to the body when in the raised position.
The dual rams are US made( inexpensive to replace if ever need be), as is the entire hinge assembly. The hinges bolt in the exact OEM location and using the same OEM threads. No modifications at all.
As a retired journeyman machinist, fabricator, cert. welder and custom vehicle designer I appreciate the fact that with Dream Car Customs I deal directly with the owner/ designer/ fabricator and not some sales person. Just a phone call for any questions or suggestions. Customer service oriented.
Did you get these put on yet dave. Cant wait to see the pics. Give me a shout diesel.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:11 AM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

here is some pics of the gt factory for you

pics of door up

doors will open out far enough for you to get in and out without raising them as well

Old 05-10-2010, 05:02 PM
ALLEGRO
Le Mans Master

Thanks so far guys. I really want to do my research here as to not make a BIG mistake.

Keep em coming.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:27 PM
ALLEGRO
Le Mans Master

Any other suggestions?
Old 05-13-2010, 04:43 AM
dieseldave56
Drifting

Default Top three.........

You have listed are the top three ( two if you want newly mfg'ered) .GT got sued for a design that was too close to the competitors. GT is still in buisnes but does not offer C5 or C6 'lambo style ' door hinges. Also I recall that the gas rams are expensive for the GT hinges. Maybe some can can verfiy this.

I am a surprised that the meer mention of verticle door hinges on a C5 as the topic of your thread has not been met with flames and general unsolicited posts threathening to run you off the forum tarred and feathered for having no taste or being irreverent to the C5. As of March of this year I was researching the same subject as per my wife's request to outfit her 2000 FRC with verticle doors ( here sister just had verticle doors installed on her 2005 coupe). The two topic areas in the C5 section generated so many unsolicited negative comments that she was fearful that she maybe accosted while traveling if another vette owner spotted her in a parking lot or fuel stop. Tearfully she changed her mind so as not to have to confront these highly opinionated owners during her advancing years.

Last edited by dieseldave56; 05-13-2010 at 04:59 AM.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:03 AM
bigvx5
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

dont let peoples opinions sway your wife away from doing what she wants with her car....im gonna do this mod to my 99 vert,hopefully before the summer is over..i like how the gt design opens more straight up,but like mentioned earlier they no longer make them...i guess dream car customs will be my choice..its cheap and well made,im just not crazy about how they butterfly out..if they opened more straight up it would be perfect..another reason i will go with these,no mods to car..direct bolt on..support your with and tell her to go with what she likes..
Old 05-14-2010, 08:15 AM
dieseldave56
Drifting

Default personal choices

Originally Posted by bigvx5
dont let peoples opinions sway your wife away from doing what she wants with her car....im gonna do this mod to my 99 vert,hopefully before the summer is over..i like how the gt design opens more straight up,but like mentioned earlier they no longer make them...i guess dream car customs will be my choice..its cheap and well made,im just not crazy about how they butterfly out..if they opened more straight up it would be perfect..another reason i will go with these,no mods to car..direct bolt on..support your with and tell her to go with what she likes..
Well Big, public opinion has no influence on me but I'm not a 54 year old white woman that doesn't like confrontations. I let her read the the posts of unsolicited comments that were pointed and adamant on the subject. So yes they negative CF crowd has intimidated her . Driving her Vette should always be fun, but she feels uncomfortable about this door mod now. I made a point originally in both my threads for information and personal experience on the subject. I appreciate that you posted your view.

Dream Car Customs hinges are adjustable for horizonal and verticle positions. I don't like the fact that the door and fenders have to be cut up. I want to be able to put my cars back to OEM ( learned that some years ago ). I have seen both mfg'er's door hinges in there verticle state and there is not much difference in how close the door are to the body when adjusted . Personally since GT no longer produces a Vette hinge I would not even consider them . So there is only LSD and Dream Car. With $800 difference between the two, plus I have not been able to find a DIY install video for LSD ( because LSD makes a point of stating that their hinges should be installed by "professionals" at $75-$100 per hour = $500- $600 in labor costs). Dream Car says just the opposite in that their hinges are DIY. I plan on doing the install by myself. Anyway that's the logic behind my choice.

LSD vertical door hinges

Dream Car Custom door hinges

Last edited by dieseldave56; 05-14-2010 at 08:24 AM. Reason: add photos
Old 05-14-2010, 08:38 AM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Originally Posted by dieseldave56

Personally since GT no longer produces a Vette hinge I would not even consider them .
They still make hinges and have one that will work if you redrill holes. Problem is one of the big names you have mentioned sent GT Factory a letter stating they cant sell them due to copy laws. However its funny that if you look at GT Factory website you will see you are allow to purchase Verticle Doors from Gt Factory

The support shocks are like 15.00each from NAPA is you have to replace them. I bought 2 90lb for my car.

Last edited by Double D Mods; 05-14-2010 at 08:44 AM.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:36 AM
dieseldave56
Drifting

Default Ahh the universal hinge........

Originally Posted by c5 BearsFan
They still make hinges and have one that will work if you redrill holes. Problem is one of the big names you have mentioned sent GT Factory a letter stating they cant sell them due to copy laws. However its funny that if you look at GT Factory website you will see you are allow to purchase Verticle Doors from Gt Factory

The support shocks are like 15.00each from NAPA is you have to replace them. I bought 2 90lb for my car.
I've have been searching thru the internet for the GT Factory door hinges. I know the story but the story does not make sense being that the GT Factory hinge design looks nothing like the LSD or Dream Car hinge designs. I assume that the infringement came from Vertical Door ( VDC), not a design I'd use.

On the site that I found ( dealers) the gas rams for the GT Factory hinges were priced at $75-$85 for either 150# or 80# rams.
This dealer's site had GT Factory hinges for the C5 ( <$2000)some info but no DIY information (all though a DVD comes with the hinge kit)http://www.auto-parts-avenue.com/aut...oducts_id/1652

The universal GT Factory Diablo vertical door hinge kit. "Unlike the bolt-on door kits, the Diablo system is designed for universal fit......"http://www.aerokits.net/DiabloHinge/gtf.htm

GT Factory Diablo weld on or bolt on;http://www.streetracinggallery.com/G...-Pictures.html

This is from the GT Factory Diablo dealer website "Question; will this be a bolt on kit?"
"Answer ; It is actually harder to bolt on because you have to drill your factory hinges bolt pattern into 1/2 inch chromoly base and door plates and after you get it bolted up the stock hinge mount might not be strong enough , so just have it welded to achieve a quick and reliable install."

Wow!

Dennis I understand that you're happy with the GT Factory verticle door hinges that you have installed. Did you install them yourself (DIY)? or did you have them put on? Are yours bolted on? What did it cost for the install , if that applies? Input, need more input.

Last edited by dieseldave56; 05-14-2010 at 09:43 AM.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:23 PM
paullywalnuts
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why dont you just go buy a Lambo?
Old 05-14-2010, 07:30 PM
ALLEGRO
Le Mans Master

Well guys thanks for the input.

I guess I need to put on my flame-suit and tell the negative ones that mine is not a daily-driver. I do show the car several times per year. I perfer the "show and shine" events but attend many regardless. I am not into the shows for trophies (though I have won two large events) but rather just to meet people and to share ideas and mods.

That said, you have to admit that vertical doors will really seperate my AE from other C5's. I want everything to be functional, good window seal and all, so really what I am thinking about is just the WOW factor that vert doors bring.

Again, thanks for the experiences, and I hope I get even more. My only remaining concerns are over the angle in which the doors open normally.

KEEP EM COMMING
Old 05-14-2010, 07:33 PM
bigvx5
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by paullywalnuts
Why dont you just go buy a Lambo?
cause the average joe doesnt have 100,000-150,000 to buy and lambo..if everyboby had that kinda money the probably wouldnt be on this forum...just because they originally came on a lambo doesnt mean anything...theres obviously a market for them..matter of taste...if you likie them fine,if you dont fine..as far as i know dream car customs is the only direct bolt on...
Old 05-14-2010, 07:46 PM
sager303
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Phatfiddler
Actually some of the newer Lambos don't have vertical doors.
Even Lambo realized vertical doors are homo

Last edited by sager303; 05-16-2010 at 10:00 PM. Reason: I can't spell

Get notified of new replies

To Vertical Doors, Please Step In

Old 05-14-2010, 10:17 PM
jedblanks
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by sager303
Even Lambo realized their gay.
As for the doors, I say to each THEIR own, but IMHO gay is: not knowing the difference between they, they're and their.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:32 PM
bigvx5
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jedblanks
As for the doors, I say to each THEIR own, but IMHO gay is: not knowing the difference between they, they're and their.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:10 AM
LT1driver
Le Mans Master

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

my opinion....if you want a lambo buy one, ruins the vette look but good luck on your choice.

Quick Reply: Vertical Doors, Please Step In