Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Optima Red Top battery - expected life?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 11:50 AM
SLO VETTE
Race Director

Received 326 Likes on 188 Posts

Default Optima Red Top battery - expected life?

How long are Optima Red Top's supposed to last?

Mine's about 5-6 years old. No longer holds a charge. (It jump starts right up via my charger, but won't re-charge itself even after driving for 3-4 hours.)

Note: my car rarely gets driven, maybe 1.5-2k miles a year, and sometimes 2+ months at a stretch sitting idle.

Is there any meaningful difference between the red or yellow top?

Thanks for the tips.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:58 AM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

I bought an Opitma Yellow Top for my car. Like you my car hardly gets driven. After 23 months it would not hold a charge. I took it back for an exchange under warranty.
When they tested mine it showed I had a dead cell on it. They told me that was very rare for a Yellow Top. Just my luck.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:24 PM
RJRSW
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

The yellow top is for cars that rarely get driven and the red top would be more for daily drivers or at least a couple times a week drivers.

I have the red top in my C5 but mine is a daily driver.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:36 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

My red top stays on a trickle charge and it is a weekend warrior and the battery is 6 years old and I will get another when it goes southName:  eagle.gif
Views: 5957
Size:  19.3 KB
Old 06-27-2010, 02:31 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

I only have experience with red top OPTIMA batteries. The OPTIMA in our Z16 is date coded 06/06 and the OPTIMA batteries in my previous three modified tri five Chevy cars all were maintained on BATTERY TENDER PLUS units for several years. Our daily drivers have never had a float maintenance charger applied to the OPTIMA batteries in them and they're from '04. When/if they need replacing, they'll get another red top.

As to how long they'll last...I don't think even OPTIMA can answer that. Unless they have a defect, as long as they're maintained on a float maintenance charger for long periods of non use, I think indefinitely. The reason I say that is I had one on a '55 210 sedan show car for seven years. I sold the car and gave the BATTERY TENDER PLUS to the buyer.

Two years later (9 years of use), the same red top OPTIMA was still maintaining a full charge for the buyer.

Last edited by hotwheels57; 06-27-2010 at 05:28 PM.
Old 06-27-2010, 02:41 PM
olbear1962
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I installed a yellow top in my coupe as it was designed for extended periods of "garage time". I also have a CTEK 3300 battery tender.

The key with a car that sits for periods of time is to have the battery on a tender.
Old 06-27-2010, 03:01 PM
2003 electronblue
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think optima batteries are over rated just about any battery will get 5 to 7 years out of even the yellow walmart ones....thats what i go with...no problems ever, starts every time..$75.00
Old 06-27-2010, 04:01 PM
my6thvette
Burning Brakes

My Red Optima is 5.5 years old and still going. Other batteries are fine if they don't leak. The previous one, that I bought at Sam's Club, leaked after 6 months and did a lot of damage.
Old 06-27-2010, 08:39 PM
7LitreC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 646 Likes on 388 Posts

My red top is 5.5 years old and still works fine.
Old 06-27-2010, 11:01 PM
0TheRadioFlyer97
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Tested results:

Daily driver: ~3.5 years

Garage Queen (driven once every few weeks w/o battery tender) 8-15 months
Old 06-27-2010, 11:34 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by TheRadioFlyer
Tested results:

Daily driver: ~3.5 years

Garage Queen (driven once every few weeks w/o battery tender) 8-15 months
Tested..ok..
I have 2 redtops, One in the Vette and one in the WS6, The one in the Vette is only 2 years old, Never an issue, The one in the WS6 is about 5 years old and again, Never an issue.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:57 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

I have a red top in my street rod which hardly gets driven, but keeping it on a tender I think it's now 4 years old and works fine. The other red top I have is in my '03 Z and is probably at least 11 years old. It still works perfectly and holds a charge without ever being on a tender during periods of no use. It has not given any signs of expiring anytime soon. I previously had it in my '98 C5 and removed it when I traded it in for the Z. I put the new GM battery from the Z in my truck and that battery died in a year!
Old 06-28-2010, 06:55 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,305 Likes on 13,977 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

In my '00, I had the Red Top and after nearly 7 years it was still going strong. It was not a daily driven car and it was kept connected to a Battery Tender when in the garage.

Have a Red Top in my '03 - previous owner had it installed in '07 - no issues with it either and like the '00, kept on a Battery Tender when not being driven.
Old 06-28-2010, 11:05 AM
Jims79
Safety Car

not long if you don't have a battery tender on them. replaced 3 redtops and a blue top on four different cars in our local club. IMO wouldn't spend the $$ for one.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:16 PM
Mr. Jean
Safety Car

Received 268 Likes on 175 Posts

Red top here for 3 years, no problems. I put minre on the C-TEK if not driven in a weeks time. Keeps everything working great.

I think some that have problems, have extra equipment that draws down the battery, like bigger stereo equipt and other power suckers.

The trick with them, seems to be keep them charged up, as once they get to low they never fully recover.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:56 PM
OptimaJim
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

It’s always nice to read stories about our batteries lasting a long time. SLO VETTE, if your battery was discharged to the point where it needs to be jump-started, it’s a good idea to fully-charge the battery with a battery charger as soon as possible. Most alternators are designed to maintain batteries, not recharge deeply-discharged batteries. Relying on an alternator to recharge a deeply-discharged battery can shorten the life of both the battery and alternator.

As others have mentioned, the key to long battery life (regardless of brand), is making sure batteries are always maintained at 12.4 volts or better. When batteries are allowed to discharge below 12.4 volts and sit that way for extended periods of time, sulfation begins to diminish both performance and lifespan. That makes a battery tender or maintainer an excellent investment and regular use will extend the life of any battery. I know many of you have watched this video before, but I like pointing out the battery tenders in use on these vehicles. Even people who can afford to buy a new battery every weekend would rather maintain them properly and get longer life out of them- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMQMgwouKlU

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
www.facebook.com/optimabatteries
Old 06-28-2010, 06:29 PM
SLO VETTE
Race Director

Received 326 Likes on 188 Posts

Thanks Jim (and everyone else) for chiming in. Unfortunately, where I park my car, I can't have a trickle charger hooked up to it.

I got ~6 years out of my battery as is, so I'm happy with that. Will be getting a new one very shortly, maybe a yellow top this time.

Originally Posted by OptimaJim
It’s always nice to read stories about our batteries lasting a long time. SLO VETTE, if your battery was discharged to the point where it needs to be jump-started, it’s a good idea to fully-charge the battery with a battery charger as soon as possible. Most alternators are designed to maintain batteries, not recharge deeply-discharged batteries. Relying on an alternator to recharge a deeply-discharged battery can shorten the life of both the battery and alternator.

As others have mentioned, the key to long battery life (regardless of brand), is making sure batteries are always maintained at 12.4 volts or better. When batteries are allowed to discharge below 12.4 volts and sit that way for extended periods of time, sulfation begins to diminish both performance and lifespan. That makes a battery tender or maintainer an excellent investment and regular use will extend the life of any battery. I know many of you have watched this video before, but I like pointing out the battery tenders in use on these vehicles. Even people who can afford to buy a new battery every weekend would rather maintain them properly and get longer life out of them- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMQMgwouKlU

Jim McIlvaine

Get notified of new replies

To Optima Red Top battery - expected life?

Old 06-29-2010, 12:37 PM
OptimaJim
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi SLO VETTE, a comparbly-sized YellowTop will offer more reserve capacity, at the expense of some cranking amps versus a RedTop. As long as the battery meets or exceeds OEM specs, you should be fine. Even disconnecting a fully-charged battery is better than leaving it connected to a vehicle's parasitic draws over extended periods of time. The presets will go away, but it is an added theft-deterrent. Good luck with your new battery!

Jim McIlvaine
Old 06-29-2010, 02:20 PM
WillEE
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a duralast gold that lasted 7+ yrs. then went through 2 red tops in 20 months then went back to duralast gold. I learned that these definitely require the trickle charges (which the duralast never did) and also that just cause a battery costs more doesn't mean it's worth it.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:08 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

I like to compare AGM batteries to run-flat tires that have very slow leaks in them. Keep the tires full of air by pumping air in them, weekly, and they will last quite a while. The downside is that they are heavier and more expensive than standard tires. In the unlikely event that something punctures one without simultaneously plugging the hole, you can still get home.

The life and cost of my batteries in a few different cars are as follows:

AGM: 7 years, OEM
Walmart MAXX: 7 years, $75
Costco: 7 years, $60
AC Delco Professional: $110, still going strong after 2 years.

Quick Reply: Optima Red Top battery - expected life?