Sponsored by:

Trend towards NA or supercharger vs turbo

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 09:53 PM
Greg_E
Melting Slicks

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

Default Trend towards NA or supercharger vs turbo

A few years back the trend seemed to be turbochargers, for those that could afford it. Lately it seems that there is little hype promoting turbo's and those who are upgrading seem to be opting for 427 or larger NA builds, or just installing a supercharger kit, and calling it a day. I was wondering why there has been this shift in thinking. (Or is it just my perception of things?)

The things that come to mind, are:
The price of a 427 engine has come down significantly.
Modifications to the supercharger kits have have made them more reliable, especially as related to belt slippage issues.

Have the turbochargers not kept up with price and performance improvements seen in the other two? Do they have reliablity issues, or high maintenance costs that have made people seek a different path to performance? Also there seems to be fewer options these days when choosing a turbo system.

Don't get me wrong. I would love to have any of the three, done right.
I don't want this to turn into a "I have XYZ system, and it's the best." thread.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:01 PM
Gitusum
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

for the last year i have been running n/a and i just purchaced a twin turbo for more power and will update ya once i get it and have it installed

Rick
Old 07-15-2010, 10:02 PM
memphis_vette
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am all ears for this i would really love to know. i really want a NA build because i love the true beauty of a nice well built engine, but i also love the fact of being blown and having that jet car sound. im also thinking about going nitro because it is so cheap.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:30 PM
IMXCITD
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 307 Likes on 290 Posts

I don't think much has changed....S/C is a solid route to go to be quick for a reasonable price. Some people are purists or just want a built motor (not that building a motor has come down much in price) and TT is still a great way to go...but more costly than S/C. I think it's all in what you like, what your wallet will support, what the use is...etc.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:38 PM
Gitusum
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by IMXCITD
I don't think much has changed....S/C is a solid route to go to be quick for a reasonable price. Some people are purists or just want a built motor (not that building a motor has come down much in price) and TT is still a great way to go...but more costly than S/C. I think it's all in what you like, what your wallet will support, what the use is...etc.
I agree! As I said I have been running n/a for the past year on a stock ls1 bottom end and did a h/c/i swap and got pretty good gains of 450rwhp and 390torque but it just didnt give me the feel i wanted although with the cam i did get alot of attention at stop lights but now i am doing a very nice audio upgrade and as much as i do love the lope of a cam i am trying to tone down the outside noise so i can enjoy the inside noise which also just so happens gives me more hp and torque and doing it much quieter!!!

by the way in the next few months or so i will have my ported fast 90 intake,ls2 tb, texas speed torquer 3 cam, tpis headers, and fast injectors and finally my vararam for sale sooooooooooooooo keep a eye out

Rick
Old 07-15-2010, 10:45 PM
paint-tech
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If a person has deep pockets build a forged bottom throw in a turbo cam and a sts twin kit with a good tune its good for well over 700hp. I have a twin turbo stang making 977hp at crank. With that said i plan a maggie for my coupe this fall, I just love the sound and torque it makes for street driving.
Old 07-15-2010, 10:50 PM
moserbe
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm happy with the day to day driveability of the supercharger and the immediate response when I get into the throttle.
Old 07-16-2010, 05:02 AM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The biggest reasons not to use a turbo system is because:

A) The majority of the system will not be smog legal in most states. The rear-mounted systems are the only ones that will be because they're after the cats.

B) They're harder to tune.

C) They're more expensive.

Superchargers are far easier to tune and don't cost as much after installation. They're simpler in design and upgrading boost is as simple as changing a pulley. They're not as efficient as a turbo system, but they've definitely come a long way since the old days of power-robbing supercharging systems.

The N/A motors are always going to be the easiest to tune. They don't really have as much potential as a forced induction system, but they can certainly make lots of power for far less money than a forced induction system.

Forced induction is a way of artificially adding displacement. At 1 bar of boost (approx 14.6PSI) you're effectively doubling your motor's displacement. In theory with a 100% efficient system (which none are) you'd double your horse power the motor would normally make at 0 boost. (i.e. a 5.7L motor is the equivalent of an 11.4L motor at 1 bar.)

I'm building an N/A motor because I don't have the money for forced induction and I'd like to keep the added weight to my car down as much as possible. I'm not looking to make a ton of power, and any forced induction system will be overkill for me. But if I wanted to make lots of power N/A, I'd have no choice but to go to a larger displacement motor. 427 is the key cube right now for N/A, but I see many people building 402ci and 408ci motors from 6.0+ blocks. That seems to be the magic number for forced induction as well.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:32 AM
BT-01-vette
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 5 Posts

I personally vote for the driveablity issue is why for me and many others went the SC route. I had a head and cam package before this and even with the SD tune it was still a little choppy but that is why you go with a big cam. I have more power than I could ever need or want and it still drives like stock until your foot is in it.
Old 07-16-2010, 06:50 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg_E
A few years back the trend seemed to be turbochargers, for those that could afford it. Lately it seems that there is little hype promoting turbo's and those who are upgrading seem to be opting for 427 or larger NA builds, or just installing a supercharger kit, and calling it a day. I was wondering why there has been this shift in thinking. (Or is it just my perception of things?)

Modifications to the supercharger kits have have made them more reliable, especially as related to belt slippage issues.

Have the turbochargers not kept up with price and performance improvements seen in the other two? Do they have reliablity issues, or high maintenance costs that have made people seek a different path to performance? Also there seems to be fewer options these days when choosing a turbo system.

I don't want this to turn into a "I have XYZ system, and it's the best." thread.
What is the shift ? Four things

(1) Money, (2) how much is the car used, (3) Reliability and ( 4) more money

then the MINOR part is your engine maintenance. High HP motors take LOTS of maintenance. Dont let anyone fool you, of if some one says no they dont, that person does not drive enough or even hard enough.

Last edited by AU N EGL; 07-16-2010 at 06:52 AM.
Old 07-16-2010, 07:45 AM
4 KRUSIN
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
What is the shift ? Four things

(1) Money, (2) how much is the car used, (3) Reliability and ( 4) more money

then the MINOR part is your engine maintenance. High HP motors take LOTS of maintenance. Dont let anyone fool you, of if some one says no they dont, that person does not drive enough or even hard enough.

And I'll add #5. How the car is used.

My car is stock except intake and exhaust. If I wanted gobs of power for the street I'd supercharge it. Drag racing, I'd do all of the above. For road racing, N/A is the way to go.
Old 07-16-2010, 08:22 AM
dquagliaroli
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Installation

Have just purchased my second STS system and having it installed with confidence of the end result. Joe at St. Pete Auto Aids did the first one and I have had no problems or concerns. This one is going in my 03 Z06 and we'll be adding the right cam and making sure the motor gets the proper amount of gas etc. The key is have a professional do it and put the extras that are needed to have the system preform properly. Am planning to use this car on the track and feel the turbo will give me an advantage. A system is only as good as how it is installed and maintained. Just my two cents.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:19 AM
SaberD
Melting Slicks

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

S/C and turbo drastically reduce the longevity of the engine, however turbo does the most damage. i will never do FI. NA all the way for me. i want my car to last a REALLY long time.
Old 07-16-2010, 10:14 AM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Today compared to when I built my forged 347 5 years ago is dramitic. The LS2 was just introduced and stroking them was expensive, the stroked LS1/6 blocks to a 383 did not interest me for the little power gains for the $$ spent. I went with a A&A Procharger setup and have been above 700 rwhp for 5 years and have not looked back.

Today you can get a stroked LS2 402 or LS3 418 that rocks or if you want the big boy setups lots of them out there ERL LS2 427 or larger strokers, LSX Blocks 427 to almost 500 cubes to support 2k hp. Now the entry point for the big boys in not the 700 that I have had and not many 5 years ago but 1k, get on the FI sections of C5/6 and lots in this area.

My next build is up in the air as HP is addictive and more is always good, especially for me that has a stocker to drive daily to cure having a Vette to motor around in all the time
Old 07-16-2010, 01:49 PM
2000BC
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
The biggest reasons not to use a turbo system is because:

A) The majority of the system will not be smog legal in most states. The rear-mounted systems are the only ones that will be because they're after the cats.

B) They're harder to tune.

C) They're more expensive.

Superchargers are far easier to tune and don't cost as much after installation. They're simpler in design and upgrading boost is as simple as changing a pulley. They're not as efficient as a turbo system, but they've definitely come a long way since the old days of power-robbing supercharging systems.

The N/A motors are always going to be the easiest to tune. They don't really have as much potential as a forced induction system, but they can certainly make lots of power for far less money than a forced induction system.

Forced induction is a way of artificially adding displacement. At 1 bar of boost (approx 14.6PSI) you're effectively doubling your motor's displacement. In theory with a 100% efficient system (which none are) you'd double your horse power the motor would normally make at 0 boost. (i.e. a 5.7L motor is the equivalent of an 11.4L motor at 1 bar.)

I'm building an N/A motor because I don't have the money for forced induction and I'd like to keep the added weight to my car down as much as possible. I'm not looking to make a ton of power, and any forced induction system will be overkill for me. But if I wanted to make lots of power N/A, I'd have no choice but to go to a larger displacement motor. 427 is the key cube right now for N/A, but I see many people building 402ci and 408ci motors from 6.0+ blocks. That seems to be the magic number for forced induction as well.
Good answer. I have 20,000 miles on my STS TT and love it. I did a lot of homework and decided the TT was it for me. I made the right decision but ALL higher HP applications will require lots of bucks spent in all the supporting mods to handle the power and not break so be prepared to spend.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:29 PM
dquagliaroli
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 2000BC
Good answer. I have 20,000 miles on my STS TT and love it. I did a lot of homework and decided the TT was it for me. I made the right decision but ALL higher HP applications will require lots of bucks spent in all the supporting mods to handle the power and not break so be prepared to spend.
Originally Posted by SaberD
S/C and turbo drastically reduce the longevity of the engine, however turbo does the most damage. i will never do FI. NA all the way for me. i want my car to last a REALLY long time.
Would appreciate hearing the reasons you have made this statement. At this point I am not disagreeing just looking to learn.
Old 07-16-2010, 02:36 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

TTix > APS (aside from turbos) > A&A > Procharger/Vortech > Stroker anything 402+ > STS > 346 w/heads cam > cam only > bolt ons > stock > O6ama

Get notified of new replies

To Trend towards NA or supercharger vs turbo

Old 07-16-2010, 02:38 PM
dquagliaroli
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Greg_E

My decision was to have a Twin Turbo installed. Yes they cost more and are more to have them installed but they are much more efficient and trouble free than a blower. (only based on my limited exposure) This one will probably get some comments, another chance for me to hear different opinions - a blower will take 50 plus horsepower to run and a turbo about 1 horsepower. If you do a complete install - including cam, radiator, gas etc. the turbo is the way to go. (again in my opinion)
Old 07-16-2010, 02:50 PM
SCM_Crash
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ~Joshua
TTix > APS (aside from turbos) > A&A > Procharger/Vortech > Stroker anything 402+ > STS > 346 w/heads cam > cam only > bolt ons > stock > O6ama
Good lord, man.... Don't be hatin'.

That's the 2nd Obama reference I've read from you today.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:54 PM
~Josh
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by SCM_Crash
Good lord, man.... Don't be hatin'.

That's the 2nd Obama reference I've read from you today.
He deserves a Million references in regards to his pathetic handling of our once great country. He is worthless, just like anyone who still supports him.

Quick Reply: Trend towards NA or supercharger vs turbo