Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Optima Battery.. DON'T BOTHER!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 10:37 PM
4 KRUSIN
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Optima Yellow Top. 5 years and counting.
Old 09-21-2010, 10:53 PM
3rd_Vette
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by warpster
Why didn't you buy a battery locallty in the first place? Optima's warranty is just like every other warranty out there, you need to take the item (whatever it is) to an authorized dealer that is able to honor the warranty. If you bought a sears wrench do you expect the local NAPA to replace it?

You are upset but the fault lies with your expectations. As far as comparing the truck to the Vette that is apples to oranges. The Vette is known to draw a slight current even when the vehicle is off, not the same as a simple truck! The reason people stress the battery tender on the red top is because of that constant current draw of a Vette and the tendancy of a red top to start failing if not kept charged...if you didn't intend to maintain your battery you should have bought the yellow top in the first place.

It is unfortunate that the dealer you decided to take it to doesn't have the authority to make warranty exchanges, better planning on your behalf would have been prudent.

Sorry but I get upset when people condemn a product that they fail to maintain. That is not the manufacturers fault. Good luck with the GM battery.
First off... If a battery FAILS 350 miles from home, YOU DON'T have the luxury of buying it locally where you live! When you buy ANYTHING and it comes with a WARRANTY, you would expect WARRANTY SERVICE at a selling dealer of said product! Had I known the Optima Red Top (which some people here think is the best battery around) was such a pile of crap, I WOULD have bought a Yellow Top in the first place. Now, I know better than to ever buy Optima! And NO, I don't try to return Craftsman wrenches to NAPA! K-Mart will take them though! I might add, I take care of all my vehicles so I would not consider myself as a person you say condemns a product that I have no control over THEIR quality control...

A battery Ive had less than 2 weeks and I get slammed with a comment that I don't maintain my car? Even a gold plated Optima shouldnt go DEAD in 2 weeks (driven every day).. Excuse me for taking offence for that comment but... WTF! This thread is just turning into a pissing war... Lets face it.. The Optima Red Top is just as crappy as their customer service as well as the way they deal with their warranty. If they actually insist on me returning the Yellow Top, I have been assured by Sams Club of a FULL refund. Its just a pain in the butt to have to haul it back to them because a product that should last more than a few weeks FAIL and the company that makes that product FAIL to honor their warranty.. Enough said!

Last edited by 3rd_Vette; 09-21-2010 at 11:13 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:15 AM
Camjamsdad
Melting Slicks

Location: It's true money can't buy happiness, but it is more comfortable crying in a Corvette than on a bicyc
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

If Sam's was worth a crap they'd get you a new battery delivered to the nearest Walmart. You can't be to far from a Walmart unless you're in BFE somewhere.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:10 AM
rickko
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think its funny how many of us trust GM to make a great Corvette but don't trust their choice of factory installed battery. Why would they build a $50+k car then put in a chintzy battery? DELCO may not be the best battery on the market but for normal driving/ownership it is surely good enough to be in a Corvette. Plus its easy & convenient to exercise the warranty.

Ever wonder how many Cadillac and Buick owners change their DELCO's to some other brand battery, not too many.

I personally think DELCO's are quite adequate for the Corvette and keep DELCO in my vette just to keep it stock like. Its the original factory installed battery installed in Jan of '04! (Nowadays I keep it on a Battery Tender.)

On the other hand, my experience with INTERSTATE batteries makes me believe they are the best of the best. I've used them in my other cars from time to time.

..rickko..
Old 09-22-2010, 02:38 AM
DeeGee
Tech Contributor

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

I'd say that's an easy one. I'd tell that dealer where to go. The thought of taking the Yellow Top out when you already paid for it is laughable.

I'll be interested to see the reply to that letter.

The choice of battery is always a talking point here. To answer Rickko's question, the reason many of us bought Red Tops was because of the early leaking AC Delcos. This picture from a few years ago was typical of the problem

Name:  Sidepostdamage.jpg
Views: 759
Size:  20.9 KB

Even though those batteries are long gone, some who suffered are still understandably nervous. I left a large acid stain on the garage floor in Vegas from a "leaker" from my son's Camaro. Luckily it wasn't in the car. Out of interest, GM replaced those early leakers with AC Delco AGM batteries in 01. At that time, many had early failures, me included.

As for the ongoing debate, AGM batteries don't leak but they dont like being discharged either. The fact is this car has a drain on the battery even when idle. If you dont look after the battery and its left idle for a long time it will die, AGM or lead acid. It's just that lead acid batteries, generally, are easier to recharge.

Ultimately, if members understand what they have fitted they should never get caught out. If the car sits idle, fit a tender or disconnect the battery.

Last edited by DeeGee; 09-22-2010 at 02:48 AM.
Old 09-22-2010, 05:40 AM
ffas23
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Still new to my C5 purchased back on Aug. 8th. Mine came with a new Red Top Optima. Just the other day when taking it out after sitting almost 2 weeks I had a hard time turning the engine over at first but it did start. If it were Winter time I think I would of had a bigger problem. I guess I will have to connect a tender to this car now especially after reading this thread. I have to say one thing. Everything I have read recently about the Optima not only in this thread and forum but in other places tells me not to ever buy a Optima Battery for any of my collector cars. From what I read if your Optima Battery goes dead you will have a very hard time recharging it with your battery charger. That was all I had to hear because I basically never had a problem recharging lead acid batteries that I have been using since I started driving back in 1968. The only time a good Lead Acid battery will go bad is if it is old or run down in freezing weather where the cells will freeze up and crack the plates. Then no matter what you do you won't be able to recharge a lead acid battery. A fully charged lead acid battery will never freeze in cold weather. Not the case if you leave a interior light on in the car or in the case of the C5 leave the radio on being it could be left on as power is always going to it unlike cars in the past.

Last edited by ffas23; 09-22-2010 at 05:42 AM.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:16 AM
Old'75'Owner
Racer

Default My Choice - AC-Delco

Remember my saga going to Corvette's at Carlisle this year. AC Delco die after 8 years of service in a Garage Queen! Under my three years of ownership was maintained by a battery tender. I had the vehicle history report to confirm when battery was replaced by dealership within 6 mos. of purchase by first owner. I had a problem (1 in a million) with the new AC-Delco replacement and the dealership arranged for a replacement at the local GM dealership. 8 year lifespan for a battery with a 7 year warranty. My 2000 GMC Sierra original AC-Delco battery was replaced after 9 years of service, not because it failed, but I thought I was living on the Edge. "The proof is in the pudding", AC-Delco has proven to me that their batteries are built for the long haul!! My Choice - AC-Delco!
Old 09-22-2010, 09:57 AM
saxtech
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Default I use Costco Batteries

I have Costco Brand Batteries (Kirkland) in all 3 of my vehicles. I couldn't ask for a better battery or a better warranty for the price ($60 - $70).

I just bought one for my C5 Coupe. It came with a 3 year FREE REPLACEMENT Warranty AND a 7 year pro-rated warranty.

800 CCA's (800 Cold Cranking Amps)

Last edited by saxtech; 09-22-2010 at 10:20 AM.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:13 AM
tdogg21
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts
2017 C3 of Year Finalist

i've used Delco, Interstate, and Optima. and they will all fail in vettes if not maintained. but the Optima has lasted the longest and best for me. going on 7 or 8 years with a yellow top.

i get annoyed when people say a company is crap because of everything that is written about it on a forum. if you go by that theory, why did you buy a vette? the forums are full of issues C5s have.

just be happy you got a yellow top. i wouldn't take it back because you bought it. so in your mind, optima took care of you and honored their warranty. if they didn't back up their own dealer, that's their problem, not yours.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:06 AM
Jistari
Safety Car

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

The red top is not a "crappy battery" . . . its just a "crappy battery for a C5"

This problem (the dealing with a red top in a C5) is something that started years ago when owners, afraid of the horror stories about acid leaks, made wrong assumptions and selected the wrong battery based solely on the acid leak possibility.

The red top is not and never was the right battery for the C5. The reserve capacity is not high enough, and the parasitic draw of the C5 makes the choice of a red top problematic at best.

Many have had success with the red top either by pure luck, or by jumping through unreasonable hoops to maintain them (yes, having to keep a car hooked up to a battery tender if its not going to be driven for a month is unreasonable). Now we do it (using a battery tender, I mean I even keep my Sears Die Hard Platinum on a tender) but that doesn't mean its reasonable.

We have parasitic draw that many other cars do not have. I'm not happy about that but in my opinion I'm willing to accept the parasitic draw issue for everything else I get out of my C5.

My understanding the problem has made me a lot less critical of battery performance. Ive learned what I have to do (keep it on a tender at home and if parking away from home for weeks at a time, disconnect the battery when parked). If I do this, I have zero problems, if I don't I have problems but it sure isn't the batteries fault.

I have a seven year old truck with the original battery, starts every time no matter how long left parked, I had a fifteen year old accord that sat on the driveway, never driven, for years (mom passed, never got around to getting rid of the car), it started every time, generic battery, no tender.

So rail away at the night if you must, but until you understand whats going on with this particular car, whats different about the C5 and how to avoid the inherent problems, you are going to have not only "battery" problems but very likely AH/TC, Colum Lock, headlight up/down and a host of other "battery related" problems.

You can use any battery you want in the C5. Your choice will dictate what type of maintenance measures you will have to do to avoid problems. Trust me on this . . .there is no battery that you can purchase, put in a C5 and leave it parked "indefinitely". If you put an anti-matter cold fusion 6437 with the dilithium upgrade . . .it will die in a C5....eventually. Resign yourself that some type of battery maintenance will be required on any C5 not driven daily or parked for long periods.

Personally, I drank the red top cool aid myself, after two of those over a few years (and a ton of reading) I came to the conclusion that I needed a battery with a reserve capacity of at least 120 that wouldn't be a problem to recharge and under no circumstances would leak...ever...at all.

For me, that choice wound up being a Sears Die Hard Platinum (P4 size, not the P3 size that Sears computer says a C5 needs. The P3 only has a reserve capacity of 90, you need 120).

A very good video to watch that explains many of the battery problems the C5 has is here http://vettetube.com/view_video.php?...25f49408d959ca
The guy speaking is a world class certified vette guy and knows the C5 in and out. The video is long but it does go over a lot of problems and its worth the time.

So what works for me is:
Sears Die Hard Platinum P4 size
On a CTek charger when its parked here at home
Battery disconnected if away from home parked on vacation for several weeks.

Your mileage may vary.

Good luck
Old 09-22-2010, 11:24 AM
SLWRNU
Safety Car

Received 372 Likes on 221 Posts

Put a red top in my 04 three yrs ago when the original ac delco went south after 4 years. Keep a battery tender on it always since it's not a DD. Zero problems so far. They seem fine to me.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:26 AM
SC427
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist

Default Optima Battery

I've had 2 in the last 12 months. My car is driven weekly. Think I'll go with another brand when this last one fails.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:50 AM
calivette805
Burning Brakes

Received 31 Likes on 16 Posts

My optima went out for good after sitting at a shop for 3months . My best friend is a hydraulic suspension expert he does not recommend this batteries short life delicate and expensive
Old 09-22-2010, 12:40 PM
TP C5
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Gotta love it. A $200 battery and you need to have it on a battery tender if it the car isn't driven for 2 weeks. I'll stick to my far less expensive conventional battery that has sat for more than a month and fires the car with no problems when I turn the key.
That is not the case with my Yellow Top. I leave mine for weeks and no problems starting!
Old 09-22-2010, 02:21 PM
tdogg21
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts
2017 C3 of Year Finalist

so is the yellow top any better of a choice?
Old 09-22-2010, 04:06 PM
my6thvette
Burning Brakes

Seems that people either love or hate the Optima Red Top. My original Delco leaked and damaged the A/C vacuum lines. Replaced it with another battery and it leaked after only 6 months, damaging the vacuum lines again. Bought a Red Top and it is still fine after 5.5 years. Never had to use a battery tender. I understand that the leaking problem has been solved. However, I would rather pay more for the battery than deal with repeated battery leaks.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:15 PM
JerG
Pro

I have a Sears Platinum Battery in my C5 and like it a lot...too heavy for the track but great for the street.

As far as the 7 year Delco battery, I lost all faith in this one as I had it in my 3.5 year old DD and it died suddenly without any warning. I take it back to the GM dealer and the warranty was not in existence. It seems you get a 7 year warranty if you purchase a new battery but if it comes in your new car, it's only covered for 3 years. So, I took my business back to Sears for a Diehard Gold for the DD.

Jerry

P.S. Jistari is right on with the info on the Red Top & the Sears Platinum Battery. However,
I have to differ with him on the absolute need for a battery tender on the Platinum.
I have never used one with my Platinum and have left the car sit for 3 weeks and the
car started first time and not even sure if the original plugs and wires are still on my
99 (I'm the 3rd owner). I do usually run my car once a week, year round, weather per-
mitting.

Last edited by JerG; 09-22-2010 at 06:45 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Optima Battery.. DON'T BOTHER!

Old 09-22-2010, 07:01 PM
3rd_Vette
Drifting

OK guys! Here it is, almost 4pm, the gay after I was requested to return the battery and still no call. (knock on wood). Just to make the few of you out there happy, I went to the local auto parts store and BOUGHT A BATTERY TENDER! I bought the Battery tender Jr which connects to the battery without the clips, and I have the connection running to the front, "hidden" so I can just plug in, if I was to not drive my car for a few weeks during the winter. (happy now?). Ehh, it was only $35.99 so I didn't see it as a big deal since so many of you swear by them. I still feel it ridiculous that a $50k car and a $220 battery needs to be on a tender!
I guess Ill see if this guy calls tomorrow still wanting his battery. Im only going to be a nice guy if it happens by Friday. After that, I feel I actually own it, even though I DO have a receipt for the warranty adjustment and the difference between the Red and Yellow Top Battery. I can only assume he is lurking on this site as I type since he claimed to have read posts in the past. So, the saga continues. Tune in tomorrow for more updates!
Once again I must say, SHAME ON YOU OPTIMA
Old 09-22-2010, 09:59 PM
1320b4you
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default optima batteries??

I have an interstate in my c5..going strong after 1.5 years of ownership (bought the car w/that in so unsure of the year). I have had 2 red tops years ago (10+ years) and they were a better battery back then. I think optima was sold to another company and their standards went down hill. Batteries back in the day were solid, but listening to others on camaro forums and the like, the new red tops are crap. Makes you question the yellow tops as well.

My c5 isn't a daily driver, but does get driven 1 or 2 times a week in the summer and once every 2wks in the winter. Stored in a climate control garage in Jersey so i never really needed a battery tender but climate really does dictate the life expectancy of a battery. Anyone from florida commenting on a battery life doesn't have the same weight as someone up north, as expectanies are half as less due to extremes in both categories of heat/cold. A/C delco for me next time though.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:56 PM
tracer1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Default batteries

I ahve a Deka AGM in my vette. 860cca, 120 res.cap. been great, never a problem with it. Would have put a delco in but can't find the AGMs around here anymore. The only Delcos now are lead acid (improved-not to leak). Had enough of the leaking acid. Will replace only with an AGM from now on, even it I have to every 3 years. The battery is a lot cheaper ($110) than the computer.

Quick Reply: Optima Battery.. DON'T BOTHER!