Sponsored by:

Vararam VR2B install

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 11:07 AM
BuckIVette
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bullmarket
Congrats. Very pleased with mine, too. No go get a good tune. If you have an A4, change the shift points. What a difference.
If things go well this spring, I'll be putting headers on soon & THEN the tune. I do have an A4 and others have recommended the shift point changes.

Thanx!
Old 08-08-2011, 08:07 PM
VetteRxD
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all,
Just got the VR-2B for my b-day & was looking it over. I guess the gaps between the ducts and the bezels (near the fog light openings) should be there? Has anyone considered closing those gaps up? With what?
I'm really looking forward to getting this thing mounted up & operational, but wanted to get a few questions answered first.

Thanks for all the info in advance.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:42 AM
TheDVS1
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VetteRxD
Hey all,
Just got the VR-2B for my b-day & was looking it over. I guess the gaps between the ducts and the bezels (near the fog light openings) should be there? Has anyone considered closing those gaps up? With what?
I'm really looking forward to getting this thing mounted up & operational, but wanted to get a few questions answered first.

The "gaps" allow for flexibility once the VR is attached to the light openings. Really, it's a separate piece that is then loosely held on with bolts and some jam nuts. This is actually quite an improvement over the original design that required spacers because of the rigid design. The new generation is an easier install and the quality is much improved. Yup, they work, just take your time with the install and get everything lined up nicely.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:18 AM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

JW, are they ever going to fix the fitting issues? I been thinking of dumping my vortex with one of these. Would it be worth it?
Old 08-09-2011, 01:21 AM
Silnus
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chicago1
JW, are they ever going to fix the fitting issues? I been thinking of dumping my vortex with one of these. Would it be worth it?

Absolutely. Install can be a pain but you will pick up significantly more over that setup, especially higher MPH.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:37 AM
JCENZ06
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteRxD
Hey all,

I just received mine. I knew quality was an issue but mine looks like someone took a hack saw to the same area he was talking about and a grinder to some of the edges. Is this how they are or did i get a really bad one? Also is the filter pre-oiled from the factory?
Old 08-17-2011, 10:36 AM
76 VETTE
Melting Slicks

Old 08-17-2011, 11:53 AM
Road Runner
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 171 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Contributor '03 & '04

I purchased mine about a month ago and had the same opinion about the 'quality' of the parts, fit and materials. BUT - what the heck, why not give it a go ... so I blocked out 4 hours - the suggested time need - and start the process. To be honest - I've never worked on cars or motors, but I do change my own oil - so I dove in. It took me 8 hours. I never did figure out how to disconnect the MAF so I let it be and just set it aside - carefully. I had a bitch of a time disconnecting stuff and once I got down to the install - I wasn't really happy with the fit - big gaps on the intake parts, silver finished nuts that show, etc...but by this time I'd spent 4 hours just getting there so I continued. I was using the Forums install guides. The installation when ok - not great. There were questions and issues which weren't addressed in any of the instructions that I had, but I kept going. The neopreme gasket that installs on the top of the intake and seals the filter is to big and needs to be trimmed. I made the mistake to allowing it to overlap the outside edges - big mistake. Had to take it off and adjust it so it overlapped the inside. The filter housing is almost impossible to line up and snap closed. Then by this time I was onto the duct (bought a new one). With little or no backgound experience - I took me an hour and a half to get it fitted and connected. Once I had it all together I realized that when I service the air filter, it's going to be a PAIN.

Results - I had an immediate drop in RPMs at 70 MPH. Typically I would run about 1700 +/- now I'm at 1500 RPMs.

Glad that experience is over
rr
Old 08-17-2011, 01:15 PM
TorchRedRocket
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Runner

Results - I had an immediate drop in RPMs at 70 MPH. Typically I would run about 1700 +/- now I'm at 1500 RPMs.

rr
I'm sorry, but that does not make any sense. A vararam will not change your gearing. Something is wrong with your car if it is not running at the same crusing RPMs as previously.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:46 PM
Mr.Bill
Race Director

Location: Reno is so close to Hell you can see Sparks , State Of Confusion
Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by JCENZ06
I just received mine. I knew quality was an issue but mine looks like someone took a hack saw to the same area he was talking about and a grinder to some of the edges. Is this how they are or did i get a really bad one? Also is the filter pre-oiled from the factory?

That is why I will not buy one, For what they charge it should be or at least look finished.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:05 PM
Quick Draw
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=TorchRedRocket;1578435308]I'm sorry, but that does not make any sense. A vararam will not change your gearing. Something is wrong with your car if it is not running at the same crusing RPMs as previously.[/QUOTE

Rpms at a certain mph are a function of gearing and tire diameter, not air intake.

Something is wrong. BTW my 6 speed with stock 3.42 gearing turns 1500 at 70 mph with or without my Vararam B2 and yes it did take me longer than 4hours to install it. I would say about 5 hours not counting breaks. I had never done one before and probably removed some pieces such as front airdam which may not have been necessary.

Mine looks great except for a gap between the intake duct the the foglight mounts. Since all of this is black it is not noticeable unless you get down low and look for it.

P.S. Mine included the Power Duct which took up some of the install time but not too much. Did have to move the MAF to the back of the airbridge/Power Duct.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:24 PM
saxmo
Advanced

Originally Posted by BuckIVette
If things go well this spring, I'll be putting headers on soon & THEN the tune. I do have an A4 and others have recommended the shift point changes.

Thanx!
Will a tune with shift point changes mess up the in-town driveability? I have a '91 GMC truck with a BBC in it, and it is a pain to drive in-town because it hits so hard on the shifts and all..
Old 08-17-2011, 10:30 PM
momo20
Safety Car

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.Bill
I don't think people question the gains, What I have read is they question the fitment and quality for the money.
i disagree..i installed mine a few weeks ago..and if one follows the directions and pay attention to what they are doing..they fit really well..it takes some time to get it to line up to where it all clicks together..
Old 08-17-2011, 10:31 PM
ztheusa
Melting Slicks

Received 342 Likes on 213 Posts

The "air" isn't any colder, and fuel mileage goes down.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:33 PM
ztheusa
Melting Slicks

Received 342 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Runner
What a dreamer!
Old 08-17-2011, 10:43 PM
saxmo
Advanced

Originally Posted by ztheusa
The "air" isn't any colder, and fuel mileage goes down.
I always thought the "cold air" part was a reference to the decrease in engine-bay warmed air taken into the engine.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:58 AM
JW Motorsports
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 265 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'19,'22

Originally Posted by Chicago1
I'm not aware of any fitting issues. I installed one on my 99 almost 3 years ago (before I was a dealer for VR). It fit good. It takes a while to install it since you have to remove a few things. The results are worth it IMO.

Get notified of new replies

To Vararam VR2B install

Old 08-18-2011, 12:31 PM
1quick1
Racer

Originally Posted by bullmarket
Congrats. Very pleased with mine, too. No go get a good tune. If you have an A4, change the shift points. What a difference.
Yup I have VR, Corsa exhaust, 3.42's, and a tune and man it's snappy.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:16 PM
MOTOXAZ
Advanced

It looks like you loose your brake cooling ducts when you install this system. Is this true?
Old 06-20-2012, 01:42 PM
c5vetteguy
Melting Slicks

Received 231 Likes on 163 Posts
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by MOTOXAZ
It looks like you loose your brake cooling ducts when you install this system. Is this true?
No, not at all. Although a lot of people may complain about the lack of quality, and pains it takes to install (which varies), once installed the performance is there (most importantly) and it looks just fine - just remove the Vararam sticker. The pieces that look substandard don't even show. Cleaning the filter isn't difficult either.

Quick Reply: Vararam VR2B install