Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where To Get Manual Transmission Fluid Changed?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 02:11 AM
McLendon95
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where To Get Manual Transmission Fluid Changed?

Okay guys, I'm new at this, don't laugh at me....
I'm not really into doing these things by myself, so I don't really want to hear, "Oh, just do it yourself, it'll be easy!", I'd rather just spend the money, and get it done right, than screw it up doing it myself

But my question is where do I go to get my transmission fluid changed correctly, where I won't get screwed over on price? Chevy? EZLube? Those are the only two places that come to mind, and I'd rather not take it to the latter, because they screw everything up anyway. How much should it cost, and what kind of fluid do I have them put in?

Also, what is the difference between manual transmission fluid, and rear end grease? Thats always been a question of mine too... And will changing it/them make a significant different in the way changing gears will feel?

I know this is like 10 questions, but thanks in advance for all of your input! Without you guys, I would be lost.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:24 AM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 196 Likes on 116 Posts

If you are adamant on having someone else do this simple of a task you absolutely must find a vette mechanic near you. This is one of the easier maintenance tasks even more so than spark plugs. There is no such thing as rear end grease. It is gear oil 75w90 with an additive for the limited slip clutch packs. our manual vettes dont use "manual transmission fluid" either. the manual vettes use ATF.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:27 AM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 78 Likes on 50 Posts

Any competent garage can do it but you may find that the dealership price is reasonable (Yes, this can be the case.)
Old 02-11-2012, 08:17 AM
Jay_Rich
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like above anywhere should do it. Just bring it somewhere that has a drive on lift so you dont need to worry about them jacking it improper.

This was the first thing I did to my vette when I got it.

Oil/Trans/Diff.

I used Mobil 1 ATF (super easy to change on the vette, there is a drain and a fill, fill till its about to leak out.)

Rear I used Redline synthetic and additive. There is a drain and a fill as well, filled with 2 quarts and some additive.

Both require a pump to get fluid in tho. So in the end it will be probably better for you to just bring it in like you want since you will have to buy a pump and im sure you will never need to change it again.

Jay
Old 02-11-2012, 08:40 AM
MY03C5Z
Race Director

Received 195 Likes on 148 Posts

I changed my trans and rear fluid when I got mine recently and I didnt use a pump. I just used one of the hose attachments that screw onto the fluid bottle. Just squeeze the bottle and refill a few times to fill the trans. The rear is easier to fill. I used mobil 1 in the engine/trans/rear. M1 ATF in the trans, M1 75w90 & a bottle of LSD in the rear. If the OP is taking it somewhere and wants quality synthetics like M1 I would buy all the fluids and take them to the place and insist they use them. I understand some people might not want to do tasks like this, like others said it really isnt as difficult as it might sound. I was pleasantly surprised that it was an easier job than I imagined. Either way you go I dont think a shop should charge you more than $100 to do this if you supply your own fluids.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:16 PM
McLendon95
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info, guys. I called chevy and EZLube today, and Chevy wants to charge $140
Whereas EZLube only wants to charge $89... So now my question is do you think I can trust them to do it correctly? And what kinds of fluids would be okay for them to put in, because the paper blocker rings can be an issue, right? It's a 1998. Mobil 1 ATF...And?
Old 02-11-2012, 04:19 PM
MY03C5Z
Race Director

Received 195 Likes on 148 Posts

4 qts of M1 ATF is all I used for my trans, no other additives. I dont know if the early manuals have any issue with M1 ATF but I read it was fine to use in the 01-04 z06's. If you're concerned about it you could just have them use the GM ATF recommended in the owners manual.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:38 PM
ronssito
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cant answer your question but recently had mine done for the first time on the 12 year old hardtop for a big improvement in shift quality

also change the clutch fluid mine was really bad much easier pedal effort
Old 02-12-2012, 12:16 AM
Ikester
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
CI 6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by McLendon95
Okay guys, I'm new at this, don't laugh at me....
I'm not really into doing these things by myself, so I don't really want to hear, "Oh, just do it yourself, it'll be easy!", I'd rather just spend the money, and get it done right, than screw it up doing it myself

But my question is where do I go to get my transmission fluid changed correctly, where I won't get screwed over on price? Chevy? EZLube? Those are the only two places that come to mind, and I'd rather not take it to the latter, because they screw everything up anyway. How much should it cost, and what kind of fluid do I have them put in?

Also, what is the difference between manual transmission fluid, and rear end grease? Thats always been a question of mine too... And will changing it/them make a significant different in the way changing gears will feel?

I know this is like 10 questions, but thanks in advance for all of your input! Without you guys, I would be lost.
Trans shop

Get notified of new replies

To Where To Get Manual Transmission Fluid Changed?

Quick Reply: Where To Get Manual Transmission Fluid Changed?