Sponsored by:

Which Year C5 is the Most Reliable?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 05:54 PM
DSTURBD
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

I sincerely hope this thread continues for quite a while as it is so nice to hear owners rallying behind their cars and years of maunfacture, as well as the pleasant experiences they have had with their "babies" instead of the "what do I do about this" threads which are inevitable.

We all want to help with the problems, but I like to hear the positive as well!!!!

I want to hear about yours as well, but we all know that '99 RULES!!!!!!!!!! The Corvette GOD was born in '99!!!!!!!!
C'mon bitches,.......bring it!!!!!!!!!!!

DSTURBD
Old 02-20-2013, 05:57 PM
David Shiel
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 81 Posts
Default I am finally beginning

to realize that a lot of us Corvette owners seem a bit like half-crazed, OCD, committable, borderline lunatics. We worry about sh#t that really is small stuff. Drive it, fix it when it breaks, drive it and fix it again, enjoy it. These things are just super fun cars. JUST great CARS. I realized that it is really easy to get obsessed,lose one's perspective and forget to enjoy any Corvette one is lucky enough to own. They will all break if we drive them and enjoy them. It's only money. Who TF cares which is the best year? .......... they are all America's Best sports car. I have had 7 and broke and fixed 'em all. Wrecked a couple ,too. Was drinking alot then.

Just another perspective.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:05 PM
DSTURBD
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by David Shiel
to realize that a lot of us Corvette owners seem a bit like half-crazed, OCD, committable, borderline lunatics. We worry about sh#t that really is small stuff. Drive it, fix it when it breaks, drive it and fix it again, enjoy it. These things are just super fun cars. JUST great CARS. I realized that it is really easy to get obsessed,lose one's perspective and forget to enjoy any Corvette one is lucky enough to own. They will all break if we drive them and enjoy them. It's only money. Who TF cares which is the best year? .......... they are all America's Best sports car. I have had 7 and broke and fixed 'em all. Wrecked a couple ,too. Was drinking alot then.

Just another perspective.
WOW!!!!!! Mom never told me I had an identical twin!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DSTURBD
Old 02-20-2013, 06:16 PM
calvins
Safety Car

Received 249 Likes on 112 Posts
Oldtimer

Agreed! Contrary to popular opinion, I absolutely LOVED my '84 AND my 97. But believe it or not, I enjoyed the road feel of the 84 Z51 the most. I've only driven my '03 home from the dealer but hope it becomes my new fav.

I don't buy 'em to race or mod, just simply enjoy as designed except for maybe some cosmetic schtuff... You 70mph and 3 time zones faster than me in a 1/4? Well, if you're happy, that's what counts. I'll sleep just fine...
Old 02-20-2013, 06:31 PM
4 KRUSIN
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm! My Y2K has been excellent. Oh ya, I had the dreaded column lock issue, and some assho|e keyed it on me. Otherwise its been great.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:41 PM
David Shiel
Drifting

Default Yep,

Originally Posted by DSTURBD
WOW!!!!!! Mom never told me I had an identical twin!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DSTURBD
I just can't see making something as fun and neat as our Vettes an object of worry or obsession. My 01 is clean and well maintained, but I couldn't care less whether it is more trouble -free than a "98 or if the ECBM sh$ts the bed. If I can't afford 93 octane, $1400 for tires or $1000 for repairs, I need not own it. Having said that, I love our Forums and have learned alot about our C5s from some great people here.
Funny, I have a Merc GM I use as a Harley tow vehicle,and it just never breaks, because it is a simple, fat ride, mundane , no-fun , old-guy every day car, not a high tech fun car like our Vettes which are awesome hi tech computers on wheels.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:53 PM
DSTURBD
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by Leo23
I hope your theory about '99's is right, because that's what resides in my garage. It has been a solid car, so far....
And I am much more than sure that it will continue to be so!!!!!! Your garage will continue to house one of the best examples of automotive excellance ever to have existed!!!!!! It will continue to provide you with smiles for miles for many years to come!!

DSTURBD
Old 02-20-2013, 06:54 PM
David Shiel
Drifting

Default Beautiful car and

Originally Posted by FRANK J CARCIA
As the original owner of a 1998 tr coupe 40.000 miles, I know a lot of you out there won't believe it but. I say 1998, because I have not had the early model hoax that ever one likes to speak of.
pic.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:05 PM
knewblewkorvette
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,706 Likes on 1,668 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16'-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-
'23-'24

I think that '99 was the majic high point of the C5, tell me what you think.
I want to hear about yours as well, but we all know that '99 RULES!!!!!!!!!! The Corvette GOD was born in '99!!!!!!!!
I hope your theory about '99's is right, because that's what resides in my garage. It has been a solid car, so far....
Oh sure, now you tell me.
I sold my 99 to get an 02 then picked up a 98 later. The 98 has given me many headaches but I admit she is heavily modified.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:10 PM
oh1vette
Safety Car

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by STALION
Sorry folks your all wrong, I guess none of you got the memo that 2001 was a great year like a fine aged wine...it is the best

Especially if painted Mag Red with Magnesium wheels option
Old 02-20-2013, 07:14 PM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
Since your question was reliability, I'd have to go with 01-04 automatic. Mostly because of lack of problems with column lock and EBCM repairs.
I agree.

One (or two) other thinga...

I'm retired and I spend part of my time helping out a friend that buys wrecked C-5's amd dismantles them to resale the parts. (yeah it's fun, and educational) Probably the most prevalent problem we see is the typical dim HVAC unit followed by rocking and worn out seats. Both are easily fixed. There is also fairly heavy demand for early model EBCM's, although the cars we dismantle often hve good EBCMs in them. Oh yeah, for what ever reason we see more wrecked silver C-5s than any other...go figger...
Old 02-20-2013, 07:15 PM
LT-1 kid
Melting Slicks

Received 245 Likes on 170 Posts

seems like all the c5 years are very reliable. its a simple and well designed car.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:31 PM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Phanni
I agree.

One (or two) other thinga...

I'm retired and I spend part of my time helping out a friend that buys wrecked C-5's amd dismantles them to resale the parts. (yeah it's fun, and educational) Probably the most prevalent problem we see is the typical dim HVAC unit followed by rocking and worn out seats. Both are easily fixed. There is also fairly heavy demand for early model EBCM's, although the cars we dismantle often hve good EBCMs in them. Oh yeah, for what ever reason we see more wrecked silver C-5s than any other...go figger...
Either they are faster, or they attract worse drivers.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:49 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Both of the C5's that I have had were trouble free cars. I have a 04 coupe now and I had a 98 coupe.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:56 PM
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by LT-1 kid
seems like all the c5 years are very reliable. its a simple and well designed car.
Winner!
Old 02-20-2013, 08:19 PM
RMB97LS1
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ Exactly! Don't see how one can be more reliable than the other. Doesn't really matter anyway, they are all sweet!
Old 02-20-2013, 09:46 PM
KenShores
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DSTURBD
Track down that grounding issue NOW!!!!! A bad ground causes voltage to go down, which causes amperage to go up!!! When amperage goes up, so does temperature. Temperature is what damages most electrical circuits.

DSTURBD
Not to criticize your intention, but the example above is not correct.

OHMS Law states:

E=I*R

where E=voltage
I=current or amperage
R=resistance

This formula can be expressed in other ways as well:

E/I=R and E/R=I

I can only increase if E is increased, or R is decreased.

While I agree, still the important thing is to track down those bad/poor ground gremlins. It will lessen possible damage to systems, but not because current increases as voltage decreases. Intermittent voltage across electronics (IC chips or semiconductors) will cause failures. Temperature is always a killer to electronics. Temperature will always increase as current increases. The biggest problem in consumer electronics is the manufacturing processes.

There is a process (flow soldering) where instead of having a person solder every component (point) to a circuit board, they float molten solder (a bath of molten solder) that comes in contact with the parts being soldered. This happens in conjunction with a conveyer belt type machine. In this process, the molten solder only has so much time to be in contact with the points (or components) being soldered. This molten solder also provides the heat for the soldering process. If these points are not heated properly to allow the solder to adhere, then the solder joint will become "cold". These "cold" solder joints, will look gray instead of shinny silver. This causes cracks to form and most of the problems illustrated on this forum, time after time.

As not all components (solder points) are of the same size or thickness, some do not get a chance (time) to heat properly to accept or adhere with the solder. This is exactly why most of the "relay's function" on these circuit boards (modules) in our cars end up failing. The metal leads of these relays are fatter/thicker than most other components on the same circuit boards. The relay itself does not fail, the connection (solder joint) of the relay to the electronics fails.

There is another side to this. The solder can not be heated to a higher temperature to help insure the fatter components get heated properly. This can/will burn out (or cook) the solder, causing "cold" joints again. This is part of the costs (downfall) of automated soldering of circuit boards. But this automation, does decrease the costs, and makes the products cheaper (in theory) to us consumers. Manufactures could (and do) have people inspect and rework the cold solder joints, but this slows the overall manufacturing processes and increases the costs.

I'm not trying to be an A**, I guess I just felt like typing a lot tonight.

Get notified of new replies

To Which Year C5 is the Most Reliable?

Old 02-20-2013, 11:21 PM
alankb
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zr1fred
Either they are faster, or they attract worse drivers.
Faster!! Come on summer!

Old 02-21-2013, 12:52 AM
dangerz
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by RetiredSFC 97
From what I've read here the 03 and 04 are the most reliable with few issues. But they don't have a FRC
My '03 FRC, more commonly known as the Z06 :]
Old 02-21-2013, 07:16 AM
VITIV Coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 92 Posts

I have an 03 Anniversary roadster with 58,000km (32,000mi) on it and zero issues. Its basically stock and I absolutely love my car. The smile is always on when I'm in my car.

Quick Reply: Which Year C5 is the Most Reliable?