Sponsored by:

Which Year C5 is the Most Reliable?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 03:51 PM
DSTURBD
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Which Year C5 is the Most Reliable?

After a number of years on this forum, I have come to realize a couple of things.
1. The first year of any generation of any car has bugs and glitches to be worked out after the cars finally become available to the masses and are exposed to all of the different uses to which people put them.

2. Mods change the entire question as it depends entirely on the expertise of the person doing/choosing the mods and how complimentary those mods are to each other. (Driveability & reliability)

So, this thread is basically about stock cars and those with mods which are basically cosmetic and don't significantly change the basic operation of the vehicle. Mods such as Cat-back exhaust, CAI's, ect.

Since our cars were introduced in '97 (which had numerous new-model issues) and then '98's which still had a few, and then progressed to the '99's (which I personally think had most of the issues worked out), after that, GM started making significant changes and upgrades.

We have all read the numerous posts as to issues with various members' cars (which to that particular owner were not minor or irrelevant).

It is my contention that the '99's are by far and away the most reliable and "sorted out" of all of the C5's!!

I have owned two of them now, and the only thing I have had to do to either of them is drive, enjoy, and provide routine maintenance to them. Any mods I have done have been purely by choice and never by neccessity.

I would like to hear other owners' opinions as to this topic and see just how many other years of C5's can match the flawless performance and reliability of the '99's.

I think that '99 was the magic high point of the C5, tell me what you think. (Caveat, we all know about diminishing parts availability as models get older, EBCM's, etc. I am not talking about these things.) I am talking about things such as the piston-slap/oil usage of the later engines and other factory attributable issues that effect the inherent reliability/owner satisfaction of a particular model year. I also understand that all of these changes were made in a sincere effort to improve our cars. It's just that things don't always work out the way they were envisioned.

Sooooo..... now, tell me what you think. I am anxious to here all viewpoints!!

DSTURBD

Last edited by DSTURBD; 10-30-2014 at 08:26 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:16 PM
Leo23
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope your theory about '99's is right, because that's what resides in my garage. It has been a solid car, so far....
Old 02-20-2013, 04:22 PM
JW Motorsports
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 265 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17,'19,'22

Word on the street is the 99's are the most reliable
Old 02-20-2013, 04:23 PM
DSTURBD
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by Leo23
I hope your theory about '99's is right, because that's what resides in my garage. It has been a solid car, so far....
You, sir reside in the same golden zone in which I find myself. It was pure happenstance the first time around for me as to year of the car, but I am not blind to good fortune. Soooo, when I was looking for my next C5 and saw a black, Z51, coupe with upgraded interior, '99,.....I wasted not one second brfore doing my due research and diligence on the car prior to buying it and bringing it home!!!!!!

You, my friend should harbor no worries whatsoever!!!

DSTURBD
Old 02-20-2013, 04:25 PM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Of course the one you have is the best. Good rule of thumb is newer = better, age causing almost as much problems as wear once they get about 10yrs old. The older ones have more miles so they may seem better, but I'd (along with most people I've talked to that regularly work on them) say the 01-04s are probably the best. I think there were some specific issues with the Zo6s. On the other hand there are unrepairable problems with the ABS on the 97-2000 cars. I have a 160k 04 sitting here that is in better shape than a 110k 2000 that's here.

Last edited by zr1fred; 02-20-2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:25 PM
RetiredSFC 97
Team Owner

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '14

My ebcm is whacked on my 99. Although it may be a grounding issue somewhere as it does come and go. Goes mostly though.

I just changed my OP sending unit. It has been done before because I found the cutout where they had cut an opening to replace it. (lucky me)

I had to fix my e brake. I had to do the ignition cleaning procedure. My paint is terrible if you really inspect the car closely.

But it's all good.

From what I've read here the 03 and 04 are the most reliable with few issues. But they don't have a FRC

Last edited by RetiredSFC 97; 02-20-2013 at 04:28 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:26 PM
DSTURBD
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by JW@JWMotoring.com
Word on the street is the 99's are the most reliable
Thank you sir. They have no reason to belive my opinion, but I do know that many revere yours!!!!!!

DSTURBD

Last edited by DSTURBD; 10-30-2014 at 08:29 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:37 PM
Mike98SilVert
Team Owner

Received 3,058 Likes on 2,033 Posts

Originally Posted by DSTURBD
It is my contention that the '99's are by far and away the most reliable and "sorted out" of all of the C5's!!

I have owned two of them now, and the only thing I have had to do to either of them is drive, enjoy, and provide routine maintenance to them. Any mods I have done have been purely by choice and never by neccessity.

I would like to hear other owners' opinions as to this topic and see just how many other years of C5's can match the flawless performance and reliability of the '99's.

I think that '99 was the majic high point of the C5, tell me what you think. (Caveat, we all know about diminishing parts availability as models get older, EBCM's, etc. I am not talking about these things.) I am talking about things such as the piston-slap/oil usage of the later engines and other factory attributable issues that effect the inherent reliability/owner satisfaction of a particular model year. I also understand that all of these changes were made in a sincere effort to improve our cars. It's just that things don't always work out the way they were envisioned.

Sooooo..... now, tell me what you think. DSTURBD
I agree with your statement "that '99 was the majic high point of the C5". I have a '99 6spd Coupe and so far it has performed flawlessly for the past 7+ years. The same experience with my wife's '99 6spd FRC. We had other model year C5's and other than a couple of minor issues each performed performed pretty much flawlessly.
$$$frumnuttin'
Tech Contributor

Location: Should this thoughtful, valuable contribution meet with no acknowledgement or 'thanks' this post----
Received 399 Likes on 257 Posts

I believe my first day of production 97 (one of the oldest C5s in existence) is equally as sound as any later model year.
LoneStarFRC
Team Owner

Received 226 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Originally Posted by RetiredSFC 97
........From what I've read here the 03 and 04 are the most reliable with few issues. But they don't have a FRC
Those are called "Z06".
Old 02-20-2013, 04:40 PM
meflyfrc
Melting Slicks

Received 192 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Leo23
Amen brother
Old 02-20-2013, 04:40 PM
DSTURBD
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In V Veteran

As to ABS brakes and EBCMs I am as familiar as any to the issues of availability/repair, etc. but I was just driving home from school today at 11:15, after having it cancelled because of the major storm bearing down on Colorado (seeeee, I told y'all mine was a DD!!!!!), in particular North-Eastern Colorado. The storm has started with freezing rain coating things with ice. It still freaks me out to no end to feel the brake pedal buzz like that when the ABS kicks in. However, the point is that it still works just fine! In particular in this kind of situation which does not happen much around here (much more frequent in the south). I could feel it react to the situation and conditions. Would vibrate the pedal when it was needed and not when it was not needed, all in one pedal application. Even though my natural reaction is to feather the pedal in icy situations from years of winter driving experience.

I guess my point here is that anything can fail at any time, but just how likely is it to fail on particular cars of particular model years?

DSTURBD

Last edited by DSTURBD; 02-20-2013 at 04:44 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:47 PM
allred
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I believe that GM made the last upgrades/improvements to the 2003 model year. (fuel pump moved to the tank, introduction of Magnetic Selective Ride Control, etc. ) These upgrades/improvements carried on unchanged into the 2004 model year. So I would have to say that the 2003/2004 model year C5 is the most "refined" of all the C5 years.

It could also be argued that the 2004 model year is the most recent, and therefore, all other things being equal, it has the least deterioration factor.

The 2004 model year also saw Machine Silver.....which personally I thought was way better than Quicksilver.

2004 was also the last time you would be able to get a Torch Red Corvette for 5 years.

In general buying the last model-year of any vehicle series is a wise move. Usually all bugs that are going to be fixed, are fixed, most if not all of the options become standard during the last model year, and huge discounts abound as the new model-series looms in showrooms.

Last edited by allred; 02-20-2013 at 04:56 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:57 PM
DSTURBD
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In V Veteran

Originally Posted by RetiredSFC 97
My ebcm is whacked on my 99. Although it may be a grounding issue somewhere as it does come and go. Goes mostly though.

I just changed my OP sending unit. It has been done before because I found the cutout where they had cut an opening to replace it. (lucky me)

I had to fix my e brake. I had to do the ignition cleaning procedure. My paint is terrible if you really inspect the car closely.

But it's all good.

From what I've read here the 03 and 04 are the most reliable with few issues. But they don't have a FRC
After being a mechanic for a number of years who made his rep by tackling electrical issues because of knowing how many other mechanics avoided them like the plague. I would make a couple of statements. Track down that grounding issue NOW!!!!! A bad ground causes voltage to go down, which causes amperage to go up!!! When amperage goes up, so does temperature. Temperature is what damages most electrical circuits. You could very well have a completely sound EBCM. However, a bad ground could give it a lethal heart attack if left undiagnosed!!

I don't begin to claim that I understand our computer components, but some electrical laws do not change.......when voltage goes down, amperage goes up. Did you ever wonder why your '60's hot rod's starter would stick in "crank" mode if you pushed a low battery while trying to start it? Heat made the contacts stick and they could not release when you let off of the key. It continued to crank until lots of things melted!!!!!! Not a fun situation!!

DSTURBD
Old 02-20-2013, 05:04 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,224 Likes on 2,305 Posts

Since your question was reliability, I'd have to go with 01-04 automatic. Mostly because of lack of problems with column lock and EBCM repairs.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:06 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,334 Likes on 13,995 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

My '00 had a number of issues, including the oil consumption problem, three leaking rear differential seals, and a leaking seal between the diff and tranny.

My '03, which I have owned for 3.5 years, has had absolutely zero problems. I have been very happy with it and hope that the problems stay away.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:26 PM
VETJAZZ
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 206 Likes on 146 Posts

Zero problems with my stock 50th AE A4.

Get notified of new replies

To Which Year C5 is the Most Reliable?

Old 02-20-2013, 05:31 PM
Fcar 98
Melting Slicks

Received 893 Likes on 466 Posts

As the original owner of a 1998 tr coupe 40.000 miles, I know a lot of you out there won't believe it but. I say 1998, because I have not had the early model hoax that ever one likes to speak of.
Old 02-20-2013, 05:47 PM
STALION
Le Mans Master

Location: ALL governments are legalized mobsters, so doesn't matter where I live :(
Received 184 Likes on 133 Posts

Sorry folks your all wrong, I guess none of you got the memo that 2001 was a great year like a fine aged wine...it is the best
Old 02-20-2013, 05:54 PM
SSTG
Le Mans Master

Received 207 Likes on 137 Posts

When I bought my 99' I was hard pressed to find issues here on the forum or the Internet for that matter.
2001-04 have as many if not more issues with EBCM it's just there somewhat repairable.
You just don't see a whole lot of posts with issues on the 1999.

Quick Reply: Which Year C5 is the Most Reliable?