Sponsored by:

Did a stupid thing (had a llittle fun) yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 09:32 AM
bumr
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did a stupid thing (had a llittle fun) yesterday

Driving home from work on hwy 54, a six lane freeway through the center of town, I was cruising about 70 in the left lane, (Speed limit is 60 but the left lane averages 65 - 70), when an Acura I had just passed in the center lane decides to pull out and ride my butt. Sometimes you can just read their mind..."Yeah you think that vette is so hot but I can run right up your tailpipe no problem." (so maybe I'm projecting a little here...) Since traffic was realitively light and the left lane was wide open as far as I could see, I thought 'well let's see about that." I pushed it to the floor and about 3 seconds and 100+ mph later I let off the gas and looked in my rearview mirror to see this little white dot merge back into the center lane with the rest of the pedestrians. I eased on the break to get below the "go straight to jail, do not pass go, do not collect $200.oo zone. Maybe not the brightest thing I've ever done but it sure felt good!
Old 03-26-2013, 09:40 AM
Loby 1
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sometimes we just gotta do what we gotta do.

Good thing your little escapade was void of LEOs.

Feels good to get away with one doesn't it.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:46 AM
D-Day
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get that. I hate tail gaiters. Besides, it would be a shame to get a ticket for driving too close to the guy behind you!! You hadda step on it.
Old 03-26-2013, 10:27 AM
Johnz02Z06
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

Not going to say I have never done this also....but to state what highway and where on that highway you were may be the second stupid thing you did...just saying
Old 03-26-2013, 10:33 AM
calvins
Safety Car

Received 251 Likes on 112 Posts
Oldtimer

These things will do 100?!?

Ya learn something new every day...
Old 03-26-2013, 11:07 AM
James2002z06
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Hell who cars about the Police , my Z was built to do that kinda stuff and laugh or cry about later ....
Old 03-26-2013, 11:13 AM
Crosis
Drifting

Received 420 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnz02Z06
Not going to say I have never done this also....but to state what highway and where on that highway you were may be the second stupid thing you did...just saying
puleez

Old 03-26-2013, 11:22 AM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnz02Z06
You will probably get a summons in the mail for admission of the crime.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:23 AM
Chicago1
Race Director

Received 321 Likes on 208 Posts

Old 03-26-2013, 11:26 AM
s'noJob
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

First of all, IB4TL.

That said, I've had a similar experience. Well, it starts off similar. I was going about 53 on a long stretch of a 45 mph back road. A three-wheeled "trike" motorcycle was riding my butt, so I cranked it up a bit because I dislike tailgaters. Well, wouldn't you know, the trike must've thought we were racing, so there in the mirror he was. I said, "To 'heck' with this," and floored it.

79 mph later, (about 3 seconds) I look in the mirror to see how far back he was. 'Son of a gun,' that trike was about 30 feet behind me.

It was about that time when I noticed a pickup in front of me going, oh I don't know, maybe 45? I applied the brakes to take a significant drop in speed and hoped that trike could do the same.

A few seconds later, as we approached a Y in the road, I took my left and he continued on to the right.

After this incident, which probably lasted all of fifteen seconds, if that, I had the "What if ..." moment when I realized how stupid the whole thing was.

I'm driving a lot safer now. In some other thread, I have another story to tell.

Last edited by s'noJob; 03-26-2013 at 11:30 AM.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:46 AM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

When that happens, I just knock it back a couple gears and open the cutouts. You'd be surprised how fast they back off.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:54 AM
s'noJob
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by WKMCD
When that happens, I just knock it back a couple gears and open the cutouts. You'd be surprised how fast they back off.
I must've had too many last night, because at first I thought you said, "I just knock back a couple beers ..."

I don't have cutouts, but I really thought my Corsa Pace Car's would scare him just a little.

Old 03-26-2013, 11:57 AM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,682 Likes on 1,482 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

It's so easy to give in to the adrenaline when this happens especially since Corvettes are always targets of the latest and greatest V6 racecar wannabe.

I think since the majority of vehicles on the road have so much more average HP than they did 10 years ago, dillusions of grandeur are more common.

I was driving in the right lane (yep, I do that when I'm not passing other cars) of a four lane road when a guy in a minivan pulled out in front of me in front of an upcoming lane merge. I moved into the left lane to pass and as I did, he gunned it as his way of saying, "No I'm not stupid for pulling out in front of you and I know exactly what I'm doing!". I then realized a mini-van was trying to race me. You could tell he was pissed when I beat him to the merge where he then proceeds to drive 5 MPH under the posted speed limit slowing down all the traffic behind him.

Last edited by MSG C5; 03-26-2013 at 12:05 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:44 PM
Rollin20z
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't speak for anyone but myself when I say, most of us have done stupid stuff when we were younger and just because we are getting older doesn't make it any different. Now we are just more calculating in the way we do it and somehow justify it to ourselves that what we are doing now isn't as dangerous as the stuff we used to do. Well, maybe some things there's no way to justify them at all. Just another learning experience.

I ride a Busa also and I'll admit I've done some stuff some of you would probably call death wish/stupid stuff, hell some even say just hopping on a bike is a death wish. Which I'm sure any of you others that ride and aren't scared or of what people will say will admit to doing also. Honestly my buddies and I get a good laugh out of seeing the expressions on the younger guys faces when they get to the end of a long twisty road or the other end of a long abandoned airstrip road and they see a couple older guys with going grey hair on the big fat straight line only bikes(as a lot call them)hayabusa's that they couldn't keep up with and that just made them look, for a better word slow.

I'm not making excuses for anyone doing stupid stuff and I see it everyday car/bike both in city or on crowded streets/roads putting other peoples life into their hands. But out on a lonely abandoned road/airstrip where noone's life is in danger except yours then hey, nothing like the rush of laying that needle over on the stop peg at 5:30 position on the speedo.(no not in the car) Accuratley adjusted of course, not like all these fake 200mph youtube videos, I'd say most of those have never seen an accurate 160/170 mph besides a 200. Just like cars, not very many that can reach 200 on the street. Close maybe, but close doesn't cut it.

I say if you never intended on doing anything stupid/illegal whether it's 56/55 or 156/55 both still illegal) in the first place you would have bought a Prius. yeah, I'm sure there are some mid lifer's or later who bought it just because they now could and get 50k miles out of set of rear tires and if that's what they like to do I say knock yourself out and enjoy it. But to me that's like leaving the Bugatti in the garage and driving the F150 because you don't want to have to spend the $40k for new tires.

I just wouldn't admit or give any specifics online say in forums like this where things can be traced back and awards issued/served at a later date.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:49 PM
Diablo427
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

When I was 18, I had a 74 Vette convertible. It had a built up 350 with around 425hp or so. Hooker headers with sidepipes, etc. Very fast and I thought oh so cool.

Well, I was driving back to University of Texas in Austin. Going down I 35 here in Texas and this TR7 with what sounded like a V8 in it, kept taunting me trying to race. This went on for a while and finally I punched it and left him in the dust. Going about 110, I passed a Texas Highway Patrol car coming in the opposite direction. I looked in the rear view mirror and saw him turn around across the median. I thought, I can just keep going and he could never catch me. I kept the peddle down and then good sense took over. I exited at an overpass. This was a bridge going over the Interstate. I slowed to a stop at the top of the rise thinking that I was hidden from the road.

I heard the sirens coming and waited for the cop car to pass under the bridge and keep going. Well, the siren stopped as it went under the bridge. I waited for it to emerge from the other side and continue down the road. Nothing happened. Then, all of a sudden, the cop car comes flying up the grass embankment perpendicular to my car sitting at the top. It is airborne as it comes crashing down T bone to my car. The patrolman jumps out with his gun drawn and pointed at me. I’m sitting in my car shaking as I’ve never had a gun pulled on me.

The cop is probably about 22-24 years old and just out of the academy. He puts the gun in my face and I reach to my wallet to get my license. He says hands up and ***** his gun in my face. I was so scared that I didn’t know what to do. Finally, he realizes that I’m not some bad person and lowers his gun. He asks me to get out and come sign a ticket in his car. I’m still so nervous that as I get out of the car, I slam my thumb in the door. I didn’t even know that I had done it, being so nervous, and I was stuck as I tried to walk away from the car. The officer had to come open the door and let my thumb free. I could barely sign the ticket as my thumb was swelling up so much all ready.

I get back to my dorm and start railing on Texas Highway Patrolmen and how lame and awful they are. Bunch of losers, etc. My roommate looks up and says, “My Dad is a Texas Highway Patrolman.” I couldn’t believe it and was just embarrassed to no end. My thumbnail fell of a couple of weeks later. That was the last time I thought that it was a good idea to run from the cops. It was in 1983.

Last edited by Diablo427; 03-26-2013 at 12:58 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:59 PM
Rollin20z
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Diablo427
The officer had to come open the door and let my thumb free. I could barely sign the ticket as my thumb was swelling up so much all ready.

Don't know why but that statement made me think of this:

Old 03-26-2013, 03:17 PM
calvins
Safety Car

Received 251 Likes on 112 Posts
Oldtimer

I successfully escaped from a local once. That was probably about four years ago. To this day, I drive VERY nicely through that town. Wouldn't even think of it with a State on a highway.

Get notified of new replies

To Did a stupid thing (had a llittle fun) yesterday

Old 03-26-2013, 03:20 PM
Oldvetter
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Since this seems the "stupid confession" post, I will add mine.

Years ago, when I was 18 (now 62), and had a 1964 Corvette (365 HP), I was cruising through town on "the circuit". Well, a W30 Olds 442 pulled up next to me and we hit it, I assumed it was a manual transmission and was waiting for him to shift to blow him off, but it was an automatic, well the speed limit was 25 mph, we were doing 85 and there were stopped cars at a red light in front of us. He could turn left on a gradual turn. I had no choice but to turn into a parking lot and throw the car sideways, narrowing missing a concrete light post! I was shaking so bad, I stalled the car twice before pulling off!

Of course being 18, this incident did not change me. I used to redline that car in 4th at 130 mph all the time. Now with my 1998 Coupe, I have only hit redline (in first gear) about three times in 11 years! My top speed has probably been about 85 mph. Yep, 44 years makes a difference!
Old 03-26-2013, 03:21 PM
James2002z06
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Whatever ....

Originally Posted by calvins
I successfully escaped from a local once. That was probably about four years ago. To this day, I drive VERY nicely through that town. Wouldn't even think of it with a State on a highway.
You and Me till the wheels fall off ...
Old 03-26-2013, 03:58 PM
machz800ps
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bumr
Driving home from work on hwy 54, a six lane freeway through the center of town, I was cruising about 70 in the left lane, (Speed limit is 60 but the left lane averages 65 - 70), when an Acura I had just passed in the center lane decides to pull out and ride my butt. Sometimes you can just read their mind..."Yeah you think that vette is so hot but I can run right up your tailpipe no problem." (so maybe I'm projecting a little here...) Since traffic was realitively light and the left lane was wide open as far as I could see, I thought 'well let's see about that." I pushed it to the floor and about 3 seconds and 100+ mph later I let off the gas and looked in my rearview mirror to see this little white dot merge back into the center lane with the rest of the pedestrians. I eased on the break to get below the "go straight to jail, do not pass go, do not collect $200.oo zone. Maybe not the brightest thing I've ever done but it sure felt good!
Or maybe he was going faster that the 70 miles an hour that you were going and being the left lane is the fast lane, speed up or get out of the way . when i am in the left lane and someone flys up on me i get out of the way (even if i was doing 80)thats what the left lanes for just saying

Steve

Quick Reply: Did a stupid thing (had a llittle fun) yesterday