Sponsored by:

Service Tire Monitoring System Warning

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 06:28 AM
lentislee
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service Tire Monitoring System Warning

Last week I purchased a 2004 with 28,000 miles and what appears to be the original tires, Goodyear Eagle runflat tires. About 20 miles after leaving the dealership and having the car inspected by a Chevrolet dealership, the above message appeared.

I stopped the car, called the dealership and they stated that it was in all probability one of the tires was over or under inflated from the 30PSI that is recommended. Sure enough one of the tires, front left had just a minimal amount and I aired up all the tires to 30. Next morning the right front was down to below 20 and I drove it to a tire repair facility and they quickly told me that it was the valve stem leaking. It was replaced. All tires rechecked, after driving it 20 miles, the warning appears again.

I would appreciate any recommendations as to next step, the local Chevrolet dealership said he could not look at it before June 3rd. Also advise the estimated cost that I may have to incur.

Lentis Lee
Old 05-24-2013, 06:54 AM
1blkc4
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would try to reprogram them it easy to do you can buy the magnet at radio shack just do a search here
Old 05-24-2013, 08:46 AM
lentislee
Advanced

Thanks for your advice, started reading some of the threads on "search". I now need to find me a strong magnet.

Lentis Lee
Old 05-24-2013, 08:49 AM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

reset but I think the sensors may be going bad...and you need new tires
Old 05-24-2013, 08:50 AM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

Have you taken the car back to the dealership where you bought it, and asked them to check into the problem? The batteries (in the sensors) should still be OK and it's likely the system simply needs reprogrammed, however the dealership should stand behind their product for a bit more than 20 miles for such a mundane problem.

On second thought, the batteries are about 10 years old, and that is approaching the limit of their life. As mentioned, it's time for new tires (due to age), thus it's a good time to replace the sensors while the tires are being changed. Just bite the bullet, spend the money and then forget about it.

Last edited by Phanni; 05-24-2013 at 08:54 AM.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:25 AM
lentislee
Advanced

I agree with your recommendation. I am starting now to search for the best deal on Michelin tires.

Thanks for your reply.

L
Old 05-24-2013, 11:41 AM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

Originally Posted by lentislee
I agree with your recommendation. I am starting now to search for the best deal on Michelin tires.

Thanks for your reply.

L
I have the Michelin run flats on my convertible and hankooks on my coupe. The Michelins are as quiet as the hankooks and I like the road feel much better. they're a bit pricey, but so be it.l
Old 05-24-2013, 12:02 PM
Sonny71
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 107 Likes on 57 Posts
Oldtimer

I agree with the Michelin selection, esp if you are going to stay with run flats. I have used the AS/ZP and PS2 ZP from Michelin and would recommend the AS if you're driving in snow or have cold winters where you are. Changing the sensors is a good idea, they are getting near the end of their life span.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:18 PM
FASTAZU
Race Director

Received 910 Likes on 583 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
2015 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '16
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by pewter99
reset but I think the sensors may be going bad...and you need new tires

My 04 just had 1 give up, just reset bout time for my 4th set of tires anyway not bad for 160k miles.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:22 PM
B747VET
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 861 Likes on 404 Posts

Lentis- congrats on a great C5 find!

Yes, you undoubtedly need new tires. But, I would say slow down for a week or two and really think this through. By all means, get the slow leak fixed first if it is repairable. I also would find a good Vette oriented shop that can help you with wheels and tires. Most Chevy dealerships are simply not the place to go for help with any of these decisions.

There are many posts in many threads on the Corvette Forum as to what particular tires and what size wheels might best meet your particular needs as far as handling, ride, mileage, weather conditions, and cosmetics.

Again, it seems you found a great buy and tires and wheels are the first and most fundamental decision that will impact almost everything about your new C5 and how much you enjoy it. Do not make the mistake of underestimating what an important decision this is.

The right wheels and tires can literally transform your C5 into a whole new vastly improved car. No BS! I will unequivocally state that your C5, as it is right now, does not remotely handle and ride nearly as well as it could with better tires or better wheels and tires.

Folks on here can help you, but first they need to know a number of facts, such as:

- Are you in a snow or rain state or do you plan to almost strictly drive it in dry weather?
- Strictly street pleasure driving or aggressive street driving or maybe a little autocross play?
- How important is cornering ability?
- How important is quietness of ride?
- How important is quality of ride?

- Are you willing to live with carrying a 12v electric pump, a can of flat tire goo, and a tire repair kit to optimize many of the above issues or do you want the peace of mind that comes from staying with run flat tires?

Perhaps before any of the above issues, look at lots of pictures of stock C5 cars, lowered C5's, and C5's with the standard wheels, relatively inexpensive after market wheels, and higher end forged wheels, and all the possible wheel and tire size combinations:

- standard 17"/18" wheels vs 18"/19" wheels or do the more esoteric 19"/20" wheels and tires ring your bell?

Generally, you can go up to 18/19 wheels and 275/305 tires without any size issues requiring further customization. That also makes room down the road for larger rotors and maybe even larger brake calipers.

The only caveat I would state is what others have said above - go Michelin if the slight extra cost isn't an issue. The newer Michelin PSS tires are amazing and the A/S tires are great if you drive in lots of rain and/or snow. Unfortunately, some Michelins will not fit on your standard wheels, so that issue could impact your decision.

Obviously, after opening your mind to all the above possibilities and solutions, you will have to set a budget and then proceed with the best solution you can afford.

Good luck and enjoy...
Old 05-24-2013, 10:04 PM
lentislee
Advanced

Thank you B747Vet for providing such a great writeup on things to take into consideration regarding tire replacement. I will read and digest it a couple of times, then question time.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:57 PM
lt1george
Melting Slicks

Good Luck with your "new" C5.
You're sensors are going bad, lucky they have lasted this long. See Gene for GM parts here on the forum. Buy 4 new ones. Good Luck. And the Chevrolet Dealer, can't look at the Corvette til June 3......-DON'T ever trust him, he's a jerk. Save the Wave.>George

Last edited by lt1george; 05-29-2013 at 12:04 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Service Tire Monitoring System Warning

Quick Reply: Service Tire Monitoring System Warning