Another Battery Question.. 3 days dead *Newbie*

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 08:51 PM
Higrpwd
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Battery Question.. 3 days dead *Newbie*

Hello,

I am a new member.. first Vette.. 98 Vert and I'm a woman. SO I think I can get away with asking this question! haha

My battery is dead after not driving for three days and its leaving me unimpressed! My 350z has sat for weeks and I ended up driving it today instead of the Vette.

So, before I go into the WHOLE trying to track down what, if anything, is draining the battery I'd like some help on figuring out what year this battery is and maybe I just need a new one.

The Battery is a Delco 78-6yr battery. I have read a few internet "how to's" on where to find the date of manu. but I don't get it. I'm pretty savy.. but maybe I'm missing something. It says check the stamp. The only things I see "Stamped into" the battery are 19MLR and the other numbers I don't know what they mean are 129R that is on the label.

Any help here would be appreciated.. I can buy a battery tender but I live in Calif and would like to drive this by just getting in and going.. not unplugging and plugging it back in.. I would have bought a Chevy VOLT if I wanted to do that. I'm frustrated.. I dont want to drive this just because the battery will go dead if I dont.

Thanks for the help. If its not the battery I can start going through the LONG list of steps to figure it out. But I think I should start here. :will y:

Last edited by Higrpwd; 09-30-2013 at 11:33 PM.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:05 PM
Ole Blaster
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry to hear your having probs with you vette.. sounds to me like a drain..I would have the battery tested at the auto parts store which should be free ...hopefully someone will chime in and be helpful...
Old 09-30-2013, 09:09 PM
Mastertvtech
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Ole Blaster
sorry to hear your having probs with you vette.. sounds to me like a drain..I would have the battery tested at the auto parts store which should be free ...hopefully someone will chime in and be helpful...

I would get the car started and go to the local parts store and they can check the charging system too...No reason to suspect any drain until you verify the battery and alternator are ok.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:10 PM
Higrpwd
Instructor

Ok.. I went to the Delco site and figured it out. P129R = Manufactured in Dec of 2009. How long should a battery last? (So its about 4 yrs old) The guy that I bought it from had three cars also and seemed to drive his Porsche or his new Jeep most so it may have sat a lot. I've had it since August and already had to jump it once. (Going to be twice once I get around to it) Any suggestions on the best battery to get? I will take it down and get it tested but I want to be ready once I am there as to which one to get if I need one. THANKS!
Old 09-30-2013, 09:11 PM
Jeff T.
Race Director

Received 1,090 Likes on 797 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I would agree with having the battery checked out. Being a relatively new owner myself, there are plenty of posts about keeping a battery tender on the car as well.

Good Luck!
Old 09-30-2013, 09:14 PM
Mastertvtech
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Higrpwd
Ok.. I went to the Delco site and figured it out. P129R = Manufactured in Dec of 2009. How long should a battery last? (So its about 4 yrs old) The guy that I bought it from had three cars also and seemed to drive his Porsche or his new Jeep most so it may have sat a lot. I've had it since August and already had to jump it once. (Going to be twice once I get around to it) Any suggestions on the best battery to get? I will take it down and get it tested but I want to be ready once I am there as to which one to get if I need one. THANKS!
I went with AutoZone's best that has a 3yr full warranty and then prorated from there. I have them in all of my vehicles and they have always lasted well past the warranty. I believe it was in the $120 range last year.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:29 PM
Bill Vett
Safety Car

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts

If the car is not run, the battery will go dead in about 10days if not kept on a battery tender. If you car with a 4 year old battery is going dead in 3 days I would suspect that damage was done to the battery before you purchased the car. Every time the battery discharges to the point it will not start it does damage to the battery. If you purchase another battery, also get a battery maintainer, this will insure the battery will be maintained at the proper level and diminish the chances of a dead battery.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:38 PM
Higrpwd
Instructor

Ok.. I'll get it down to Sears or my Mechanic (Sears is closer to work) sometime this week and have the battery and the charging system checked. The guy at Sears said they have the AGM 78 on sale for $156. It has a (3yr) warranty with it. Anyone use that one?

It's maybe been sitting for two days and it will barely light up the radio when I turn the key. I'll probably use this 4-5 days a week.. since its the newest member and would rather not have to get the battery tender. I can see that many people have issues with these things draining I thought it was mainly because they don't use them as daily drivers. I'm near the beach in California and its a daily driver car out here if you want to.

Last edited by Higrpwd; 09-30-2013 at 11:38 PM.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:43 PM
Higrpwd
Instructor

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Make certain it has the correct Specs for your car. Don't just buy because it's on sale. These are not shoes. Couldn't resist.
Hey.. I wear Boots sir! haha And no.. the guy on the phone looked it up.. I didn't pick one out because it was the shiny'est one!
Old 09-30-2013, 10:23 PM
wamara
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Hi Higrpwd,
Welcome to the forum. Just a few thoughts, based on my own experience....
I don't recognize if your present battery is an AGM; one year I let my OEM battery (an AGM which was about 3-4 years old at the time) go dead (I was doing some work on my car and didn't drive it for about 5 weeks, and didn't bother with a battery maintainer), and I found that it would never hold a charge after that....
If your battery is good (can you inspect the cells for water?), you should be able to go 2-3 weeks (in warmer weather) with it still holding enough juice to start (again, just my experience with a non-AGM battery). Have the battery checked; they can short even if not too old, which yours isn't. If it's okay, start the tedious process of looking for the source of your power drain. Good luck.

Last edited by wamara; 09-30-2013 at 10:48 PM.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:08 PM
Higrpwd
Instructor

Originally Posted by wamara
Hi Higrpwd,
Welcome to the forum. Just a few thoughts, based on my own experience....
I don't recognize if your present battery is an AGM; one year I let my OEM battery (an AGM which was about 3-4 years old at the time) go dead (I was doing some work on my car and didn't drive it for about 5 weeks, and didn't bother with a battery maintainer), and I found that it would never hold a charge after that....
If your battery is good (can you inspect the cells for water?), you should be able to go 2-3 weeks (in warmer weather) with it still holding enough juice to start (again, just my experience with a non-AGM battery). Have the battery checked; they can short even if not too old, which yours isn't. If it's okay, start the tedious process of looking for the source of your power drain. Good luck.
Yeah.. I have been reading the difference about AGM and the other kinds.. I'm not sure which it is. From what I have read the AGM is a good kind to have or the Gel.. Sears doesn't sell the gel so its the AGM if I go there. I'll talk to the guys at work tomorrow and our mechanic there.. see what he says. Then tomorrow after work I'll jump the vette and bring it in after work to get this process started. I've found that a quicker way to search through the different threads here is to do a regular internet search and it sorts it better than going through the forum search here. haha I go back to Google.. type in what I want to find and it brings me back here rather than sort through 500 threads on the search bar above. I'll figure it out.. if it cant be fixed I'm not too attached yet that I cant sell.
Old 09-30-2013, 11:31 PM
Higrpwd
Instructor

The Google search works much better than does the Forum search for a lot of things. Takes a long time and a lot of trial and error to be able to effectively use the Forum search. The advanced search option has a lot of variables that you can set if you know what you are looking for. They can avoid 10 pages of results but all from the last few weeks with hits on words that appear in many posts rather than the topic you need/want.

Time and trial and error or Google search until you gain experience.
Thanks 87! I definitely have learned a lot from reading the daily posts. I have 3 brothers.. none around here so they aren't much help. Been emailing my one brother in Australia today but he's been there so long he doesn't even know which side of the road to drive on anymore.

I'll get it worked out.. It's a 4 yr old battery on a car that hasn't been driven much so I think I'll start there and work my way out! I'm also going to pick up a battery tender just in case it keeps this up.. that way I can drive it when I want. I do think that is a hastle tho.. never had to do that before and I've had plenty of cars. Shoot my Dodge Ram is 10 this year.. going on 11 actually and it still has the original battery in it. Ya know.. that thing has been a really good truck.. haha Besides putting a flowmaster exhaust on it.. and new tires.. it just keeps going.
Old 10-01-2013, 12:16 AM
Higrpwd
Instructor

The battery for the C5 (and most other Vettes) is undersized for the current draw of the electronics in the car. Let alone if you have added aftermarket items. Unfortunately the spot they have for the battery is very limited so putting a big ole battery in it is really not an option.

I chose the Sears Die Hard Platinum with 880 CCA and 135 RC and was able to squeeze it into the alotted space with some modifications. But I would NOT recommend it because of its cost and the fact that it has been replaced under warranty twice in 5 years and I now keep it on a tender to insure the car will start when I want it.

Next time I will go with a conventional battery at a third the price. Probably still have to replace it under warranty but why spend the big $$$ to have to do the same thing. Warranty is longer on the Platinum series but not 3 times longer than a conventional battery to match the pricing difference. Glass mat batteries are a great concept but for me their over priced and over rated for the PIA they can often be. I have them on several vehicles I own but the last time my truck needed a battery I went conventional. When the Vette needs another battery it will be conventional as well. As always, YMMV..........
Awesome.. that's what I was looking for some facts! Thanks! I'll get a nice battery and a battery tender! I'm not cheap.. just wanna drive the car when I wanna! If I walk out with that set of keys thats the car I expect to drive. Thanks for all the help! If this works the next step is to get rid of these wagon wheels! Luckilly I can't see them when I'm driving. haha
Old 10-01-2013, 02:55 AM
f1reb1rd
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 47 Posts

Hello,

I am a new member.. first Vette.. 98 Vert and I'm a woman. SO I think I can get away with asking this question! haha

My battery is dead after not driving for three days and its leaving me unimpressed! My 350z has sat for weeks and I ended up driving it today instead of the Vette.

So, before I go into the WHOLE trying to track down what, if anything, is draining the battery I'd like some help on figuring out what year this battery is and maybe I just need a new one.

The Battery is a Delco 78-6yr battery. I have read a few internet "how to's" on where to find the date of manu. but I don't get it. I'm pretty savy.. but maybe I'm missing something. It says check the stamp. The only things I see "Stamped into" the battery are 19MLR and the other numbers I don't know what they mean are 129R that is on the label.

Any help here would be appreciated.. I can buy a battery tender but I live in Calif and would like to drive this by just getting in and going.. not unplugging and plugging it back in.. I would have bought a Chevy VOLT if I wanted to do that. I'm frustrated.. I dont want to drive this just because the battery will go dead if I dont.

Thanks for the help. If its not the battery I can start going through the LONG list of steps to figure it out. But I think I should start here. :will y:
your battery is likely december 2009
Old 10-01-2013, 12:30 PM
mrlmd
Drifting

Received 297 Likes on 198 Posts

About AGM batteries - I've had a lot of experience with them for my motorcycles and have done a lot of research on them and have spoken to more than one manufacturer, and all say the same thing - an AGM battery MUST be fully charged before first use or they will prematurely fail after the first attempt at starting the engine and thereafter will never hold a full charge. If you get a new AGM battery, YOU must put it on a charger first when you get it home, before you use it, or make the battery place you buy it from put it on a charger for a few hours before you install it, don't rely on the salesman telling you just put it in the car, you are good to go. If you want that new battery to last you really have to heed this advice.
Old 10-01-2013, 02:20 PM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

I chose the Sears Die Hard Platinum with 880 CCA and 135 RC and was able to squeeze it into the alotted space with some modifications. But I would NOT recommend it because of its cost and the fact that it has been replaced under warranty twice in 5 years and I now keep it on a tender to insure the car will start when I want it.
Why did it have to be replaced twice? Do you drive the car every day?
Old 10-01-2013, 02:36 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Ok.. I'll get it down to Sears or my Mechanic (Sears is closer to work) sometime this week and have the battery and the charging system checked. The guy at Sears said they have the AGM 78 on sale for $156. It has a (3yr) warranty with it. Anyone use that one?

It's maybe been sitting for two days and it will barely light up the radio when I turn the key. I'll probably use this 4-5 days a week.. since its the newest member and would rather not have to get the battery tender. I can see that many people have issues with these things draining I thought it was mainly because they don't use them as daily drivers. I'm near the beach in California and its a daily driver car out here if you want to.
Just in case your problem is just the battery only, my 2000 coupe sits for 3-4 days per week and I never have a problem with it starting. You should not have any problems if you're driving yours 4-5 days per week.

I grew up about 90 minutes north of you. I spent many a summer day at the Santa Cruz boardwalk and beach before I moved to Texas. A vert is perfect for that area.

Get notified of new replies

To Another Battery Question.. 3 days dead *Newbie*

Old 10-01-2013, 02:39 PM
DanSavage
Safety Car

Received 175 Likes on 77 Posts

Another option is if you're a AAA member, you can call and have their battery service guy come to where your car is located.

He'll test your battery and charging system on-the-spot and tell you exactly where the problem lies. If it's the battery, he will then replace it. Their prices are very competitive.

If the problem lies somewhere in the charging system, you'll know that right then and there.

The battery in one of my daughter's cars died recently, and from a time and hassle standpoint, it was easier to have AAA come out than for me to pull the battery, take it down to the auto parts store, have them test it, buy a new one, then take it home and install it.
Old 10-01-2013, 09:56 PM
CalF
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

Here is the battery you need.http://www.sears.com/diehard-platinu...p-02850090000P Here is the tender. http://smartercharger.com/products/b...multi-us-3300/
Old 10-01-2013, 10:11 PM
Higrpwd
Instructor

Originally Posted by DanSavage
Another option is if you're a AAA member, you can call and have their battery service guy come to where your car is located.

He'll test your battery and charging system on-the-spot and tell you exactly where the problem lies. If it's the battery, he will then replace it. Their prices are very competitive.

If the problem lies somewhere in the charging system, you'll know that right then and there.

The battery in one of my daughter's cars died recently, and from a time and hassle standpoint, it was easier to have AAA come out than for me to pull the battery, take it down to the auto parts store, have them test it, buy a new one, then take it home and install it.
Thanks.. I didn't know AAA did that! That's another good reason to sign up with them.. I almost did last month. I went as far as to call my insurance co. to cancel the road svc that I had so I could get AAA and then I decided it was so cheap with them that I will just keep it unless I start going on long drives. Right now its just around town so my insurance coverage is good enuf. But thanks for the tip! That's great to know.

Quick Reply: Another Battery Question.. 3 days dead *Newbie*