Sponsored by:

Infamous Gas Gauge Dropping to 0

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2014, 05:41 PM
vettelover8306
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Road Runner
Since 2000 when I drove the vette off the showroom floor my gas gage has 'suddenly drop to zero' a half a dozen t1mes. In fact, it happened AGAIN this morning on the way to work. Techron my friend is the easy way to solve the problem - but its not the solution, only a temporary fix.
well I have a 97 gas gauge was working good but sometimes it was like showing no the actual fuel quantity so I decided to add a 12 oz bottle to 13 gallons this morning after a few miles coming from do some stuff my gas gauge drop to 0 wtf?? was this the cause of add techron? fuel system cleaner or fuel system killer? I stop at autozone just to pick up some parts and when I started my car,,,aleluya,,gas gauge started to work right,,what cause this? before to add techron gas gauge never drop to 0
Old 10-27-2014, 07:14 PM
jjaaam
Pro

Received 76 Likes on 49 Posts

Just had this happen to me on Saturday during a road trip.

If I remember right I was at about 1/2 tank. Dropped my wife off to the store and went to get gas and vacuum it out. As I was pulling out of the store I heard the "ding of death" and looked down and saw CHECK GAGES. Gas gage was at zero.

Went to Speedway and filled up with 93 octane premium (all I have ever put in it since getting her home to Michigan). Started the car and it stayed at zero for about three long seconds then went right back to over the full mark. Have gone about 300 miles since with no issues.

This is the first time it has happened in the 3000 miles I have driven my '03 since I bought it in September. I have put Techron in it multiple times in an effort to prevent this from happening...but it obviously didn't prevent it enough.

Just filled up on Sunday with yet another 20 oz. bottle of Techron. I'm hoping it was a fluke and the issue doesn't return...

Last edited by jjaaam; 10-27-2014 at 07:46 PM.
Old 10-28-2014, 11:59 AM
kabluie
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a box stock '98 that also has gas gauge problems. I tried the Techron treatment and it didn't work. I asked the dealer about it and he just laughed and said, "How many thousands do you have to fix this?" Then he explained the likely cause could be any number of things. The engine takes its gas from the left tank. If the level of both tanks is not close, then the gas gauge goes to zero. It could also be that one of the floats has gone bad. One of the sending units could be going bad. He also mentioned a couple of other things that I've forgotten, but the gist of it is that the dealer has to look at the whole system and that is the expensive part because they have to take it apart to be sure about what is going to fix the problem.

Most of my driving is slow, less than 55 MPH. At those speeds I don't have a problem. It is when I finally get up on a freeway, (the nearest freeway is a hundred miles away) that I have a gas gauge problem. So for now I just keep track of the mileage on the tank and live with it. I keep trying the Techron treatment, but not every tank. I'm guessing that too much Techron is not a good thing.
Old 10-28-2014, 12:15 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Originally Posted by kabluie
I have a box stock '98 that also has gas gauge problems. I tried the Techron treatment and it didn't work. I asked the dealer about it and he just laughed and said, "How many thousands do you have to fix this?"
It's the sending unit. The stealership is trying to milk your wallet for every drop of cash he can. The good thing, iirc, is that on early model C5's you can access the sending unit assembly for replacement without dropping the gas tanks.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:54 PM
JayTee72
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi guys,

I can't keep from chiming in here. FWIW here's MY story:

2 months ago I test drove an '01. During the test drive the fuel gauge went to 0. The guy said it was a common problem, resets after car is turned off, then restarted. He was right. I shrugged and figured no big deal (after all it is a 13 y/o car.) (but wasn't the reason I eventually did NOT get the car.) The very next day I test drove a '99. During THAT test drive the fuel gauge did NOT go out. I liked the car better overall, so I bought it.
I was several hours from home. On my way home during NORMAL interstate driving the gauge goes to 0. Turned off the car, Started back up. Fuel Gauge works. The next day, finishing my trip, same thing happens. Got it home. When driven, would NOT happen all the time. Strange.

Until finally I figured out the pattern........ I started to time the gauge drop-outs, and I finally realized that the gauge would drop out ONLY AFTER the car had been running for an hour. almost exactly 1 hour. Most of my trips are certainly less than that, so that is why it wouldn't happen all the time. EVERY time my car is running for an hour or more, ALMOST TO THE MINUTE, at the hour mark the gauge drops out. Not an earth-shattering problem no, but a pain sometimes, yes.
The other night it went out, but the "timing" wasn't right (hour mark), until I thought back to something I had read on THIS FORUM. Another poster had said that some "hard driving" had caused his to go out. I had just finished some spirited driving myself and realized that that was what caused THIS PARTICULAR drop-out. I guessed I hadn't driven it hard enough up until then to cause a problem.

CONCLUSION:

My gauge drops out on 2 occasions:

1. Hard driving

2. After enging running for an hour.

Can any of you smarter than me explain the mechanics on WHY my gauge drops out because of #1 and #2? I'm really curious............and want to fix it if I can..
Old 10-28-2014, 02:03 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by JayTee72
Can any of you smarter than me explain the mechanics on WHY my gauge drops out because of #1 and #2? I'm really curious............and want to fix it if I can..
Mine fails at startup, which would eliminate both your #1 and #2 as the source of the problem. The source is that the sending unit is a piece of #2 and needs to be replaced by #1'ing away more money on my 15 year-old car.
Old 10-28-2014, 02:07 PM
JayTee72
Racer

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
Mine fails at startup, which would eliminate both your #1 and #2 as the source of the problem. The source is that the sending unit is a piece of #2 and needs to be replaced by #1'ing away more money on my 15 year-old car.

Old 10-28-2014, 04:40 PM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Received 675 Likes on 519 Posts

I used to have this problem all the time on my '98, until it went into the dealer maybe 8-9 years back for an unrelated issue. The dealer looked the VIN up and said there was a computer reflash which I should have - no cost.

Don't know what got changed, but it has not happened since. And no, I don't use Techron.

I still have the issue with the gas gauge dropping some overnight, then coming back up to where it was after some miles driving the next day though.

Last edited by jackthelad; 10-28-2014 at 09:50 PM.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:25 PM
ScumOne
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Huh. My 99 C5 had the fuel gauge dropping issue when I first got it in late 2012. I put Techron in once every six months, I use Top Tier 92 octane gas from Arco or Costco. Haven't had a problem in two years now.

Go figure. The car is just short of 85k on the odometer, not sure if mileage is a factor, or just age, or what.

In any case, Techron and TT gas has been my solution for two years now.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:18 PM
JayTee72
Racer

Originally Posted by jackthelad
I used to have this problem all the time on my '98, until it went into the dealer maybe 8-9 years back for an unrelated issue. The dealer looked the VIN up and said there was a computer reflash which I should have - no cost.

Don't know what got changed, but it has not happened since. And no, I don't use Techron.

I still have the issue with the gas gauge dropping some overnight, then coming back up to where it was after some miles driving the next day though.
ok so what exactly "hasn't happened since"? You say you still have a problem overnight.

I guess it couldn't hurt though to get them to check MY VIN for the reflash................ Did it really cost you zero??? HA that would be a first....
Old 10-29-2014, 01:15 AM
Z06ster
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 127 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruncher
Since purchasing a new '03 Z06, I've used nothing but Chevron 99% of the time and the other times I've used Shell, Exxon, and Mobil, along with a 20 oz. bottle of Techron every 3K miles. My gas gausge doesn't work after 11 years. Techron isn't the entire answer.

I have seen some debate on the forum about this. I replaced both my fuel sending units 7 years ago. I had the dealer show me one of the bad sending units and here it is,

You can see the black gunk on the electrical interconnects which should be as shiny as a new silver dollar. I don't believe Techron can reverse this. However, I would hope that putting it in your fuel tank will prevent build up. Since I changed the sending units, its been nothing but Chevron fuel for me and no problems so far since the replacement. It would be interesting if I had money to burn to have the sending units pulled out and see how the traces are today.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:14 PM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

ok so what exactly "hasn't happened since"? You say you still have a problem overnight.

I guess it couldn't hurt though to get them to check MY VIN for the reflash................ Did it really cost you zero??? HA that would be a first....
What "hasn't happened since" is the gas gauge has not crashed to zero for no good reason while driving along.

What still happens is that I come home, with the gauge at maybe 1/4, park it overnight, then start up the next morning and it is reading almost (but not quite) empty. After a few miles, it gets back to 1/4 or whatever it should be.

They really did not charge for the reflash - I did not ask why. I thought maybe it was some kind of recall or similar. GM sometimes lets dealers know of problems, and if you report that problem, they fix it quietly at no cost.

That's how I got the column lock fix done just a few years back. Someone dug out the original factory documentation of the problem that Chevy sent to the dealers for me, and when I quoted it, the problem was fixed by the local dealer at no cost to me. Took a lot of discussion with the service manager and someone at Chevrolet, but it got done. Maybe owning multiple GM vehicles helped them make a favorable call for me, all I know is that it did not cost me a nickel.

Last edited by jackthelad; 10-30-2014 at 10:21 PM.
Old 10-31-2014, 07:48 AM
JayTee72
Racer

Originally Posted by jackthelad
What "hasn't happened since" is the gas gauge has not crashed to zero for no good reason while driving along.

What still happens is that I come home, with the gauge at maybe 1/4, park it overnight, then start up the next morning and it is reading almost (but not quite) empty. After a few miles, it gets back to 1/4 or whatever it should be.

They really did not charge for the reflash - I did not ask why. I thought maybe it was some kind of recall or similar. GM sometimes lets dealers know of problems, and if you report that problem, they fix it quietly at no cost.

That's how I got the column lock fix done just a few years back. Someone dug out the original factory documentation of the problem that Chevy sent to the dealers for me, and when I quoted it, the problem was fixed by the local dealer at no cost to me. Took a lot of discussion with the service manager and someone at Chevrolet, but it got done. Maybe owning multiple GM vehicles helped them make a favorable call for me, all I know is that it did not cost me a nickel.
Excellent!

Gonna hafta look into that myself..........

My gauge is either "all or nothing". It either registers the 'correct' amount or nothing at all. Fortunately most of the time it's the correct amount, but still it's not the way you'd want your vette to operate...
Old 10-31-2014, 09:46 AM
Vette Boy TN
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent!

Gonna hafta look into that myself..........

My gauge is either "all or nothing". It either registers the 'correct' amount or nothing at all. Fortunately most of the time it's the correct amount, but still it's not the way you'd want your vette to operate...
I had a couple of drop to zero gauge events on the 2002, 38000 mi. Vet I bought thispast April (once it only went up to 7/8 when it should have shown full).I have added about 4 Techtron containers at fill-ups and I haven't had the problem since about June.I have also found a pure gas, no ethanol added, station and I'm only buying 103 octane high test. I plan to add a Techtron to maintain once everysim months. My experience seems to indicate some sort of residue that the Techtron has removed.Hopefully I'll continue with good results, if not I will advise.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:34 AM
Bill's Vette 2001
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by joeflyer
The TSB for the fuel-guage problem is 010604022. It was a software update. Had it done in 2004, and the drop-to-zero problem never came back.
I am a new dummy at this. What is a TSB. just purchased 2001 in 8/14 and have had the fuel gauge drop since then. Drive 45 mi and it drops & won't come back until I fill it. Driving me nuts because I live in Nebraska - long way between stations!! Do you use as much fuel as possible and then refill with Techron Plus which I am on my 3rd tank. Don't sell 20 oz bottles around here but found twelve. Have not tried 2 bottles yet, but that's coming next if it won't hurt the engine. Looking for solutions of than new sensors.

Bill's Vette 2001.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:53 PM
Vette Boy TN
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bill's Vette 2001
I am a new dummy at this. What is a TSB. just purchased 2001 in 8/14 and have had the fuel gauge drop since then. Drive 45 mi and it drops & won't come back until I fill it. Driving me nuts because I live in Nebraska - long way between stations!! Do you use as much fuel as possible and then refill with Techron Plus which I am on my 3rd tank. Don't sell 20 oz bottles around here but found twelve. Have not tried 2 bottles yet, but that's coming next if it won't hurt the engine. Looking for solutions of than new sensors.

Bill's Vette 2001.
I tried to get the tank to 1/4 or less but that's risky since you can't look at the gauge. When it was at least below 1/2 tank I'd add 20 oz. bottle of Techtron then fill up with high test, and later non-ethanol gas. It may not be permanent but for now for me it's a cheap, easy, working fix. Changing sensors is $1000 if they do it, at least $200 if you do the work. Others swear the fix is a reflash at the dealer.
Old 10-31-2014, 01:06 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Originally Posted by Vet Boy
Others swear the fix is a reflash at the dealer.
A reflash isn't going to fix a gummed up sending unit. It's also not an option for those of us who have custom tunes.

Get notified of new replies

To Infamous Gas Gauge Dropping to 0

Old 10-31-2014, 01:30 PM
jackthelad
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bill's Vette 2001

Bill's Vette 2001.
A TSB is a Technical Service Bulletin, sent by the manufacturer to its dealers, so if someone comes in with a problem, the dealer should look at the TSB's to see what the fix is.

The post you quoted from Joeflyer jives timewise with when mine got fixed.
Old 10-31-2014, 06:49 PM
Tony1M
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by luke87gt
Guys one more question for my own reference:

In order to drop the tanks on a 2003.5-2004, what else needs to come out first?
I second the motion. Just exactly HOW do you "drop the tanks"?

Thanks.

Edit. Here is an excellent description of the 2003.5-2004 fuel system with photos:
http://www.flaglercountycorvetteclub...%20Article.pdf

Compare that to this:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1586825584
and it becomes quite apparent why the fuel tanks have to come down in the "new" design.

Last edited by Tony1M; 10-31-2014 at 08:47 PM.
Old 10-31-2014, 09:01 PM
Tony1M
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And the answer to the question "just exactly HOW do you drop the tanks on the '03.5 to '04 fuel system?"

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...fuel-pump.html

Looks daunting, but doable.

What a fantastic forum this is!

Edit. PS It's easy to see why this job would be very expensive to get done at a stealership.

Just two final questions.

1. If you buy a replacement sending unit at a GM dealerhip TODAY, will it exhibit the same problems that the one originally installed in the vehicle when it was manufactured did/does?

2. Are there any aftermarket sending units that can replace the OEM unit and don't suffer the problems that the OEM units do?

Thanks.

Edit:
Here's a very informative video of a fuel sending unit replacement, but I'm not exactly sure the vehicle is a C5 or later:

Last edited by Tony1M; 11-01-2014 at 10:28 AM.

Quick Reply: Infamous Gas Gauge Dropping to 0