Sponsored by:

Must have for vette owners take a gander

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 07:09 PM
Ellison489
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Must have for vette owners take a gander

want to keep the clean look but want all the reads but dont want all the gauges all over or you might just want one or two but you dont want oodles and oodles of noodles?I mean gauges(personally ive seen some with 8+ and in my opinion is a slew(not saying its bad its just not for me))
DONT SPEND THAT RIDICULOUS MULAH

THIS WILL BE AN UPDATED THREAD ALLOW ME TIME TO "DO ME" THEN I WILL PURCHASE THE SENSOR MODULE AND SHOW HOW TO CONNECT THEM PROPERLY THIS WILL REQUIRE A DIFFERENT OBDII ONE WITH RX{RECEIVING PORTS}

T̶o̶m̶o̶r̶r̶o̶w̶ ̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶m̶a̶k̶e̶ ̶a̶ ̶s̶e̶t̶ ̶u̶p̶ ̶v̶i̶d̶e̶o̶
turns out im better at taking pics then making vids lol

I may be young but I GUARANTEE i am not dumb

First off let me say not only will this work on your Vettes but this will work on ANY vehicle 1996 and beyond!!!!
1996 is the year the OBD-II system was standardized for passenger vehicles sold in the United States.
In Europe, this was standardized in 2001 for gasoline vehicles and 2004 for diesel passenger cars

If you want to use this on anything else for whatever reason refer to the Vehicle Emissions Control Information sticker
that is located in the engine compartment and make sure it says OBDII Compliant.

Heres a little background info:
Starting in 1996, all cars and light trucks built for sale in the U.S. were required to be OBD II-compliant
as stated above 1996 is the year the OBD-II system was standardized for passenger vehicles sold in the United States.
In Europe, this was standardized in 2001 for gasoline vehicles and 2004 for diesel passenger cars
The O.G on-board diagnostics (OBD I) refers to most cars manufactured 1981 – 1995 and WILL require a proprietary(manufacturer specific) cable,costly
On OBDI vehicles usually had an on board diagnostics you would have to jump a paper clip or a wire of somesort and a light would flash a number of times
you would have to count the light flashes and check what the number would mean some went to 80 flashes+ it was madness

**##^^ THIS DOES WORK WITH RADIOS THAT STREAM YOUR APP LIKE THE PIONEER APP RADIO ^^##**
IT TAKES LONGER BEACUSE YOUR STREAMING INFORMATION TO YOUR DEVICE THEN
THAT DEVICE IS STREAMING IT TO THE RADIO SO THE DATA MIGHT NOT BE QUITE
"live"
MAYBE A LITTLE LAG

Required Items:
A.OBDII ELM327 reader: !!!MAKE SURE ITS ELM327!!!

**There are 3 kinds of OBDII readers and heres how to tell which one is for you**
**I DO NOT HAVE ANYTHING WINDOWS MOBILE OR MAC SO ITS A BIG IDK FOR YOU GUYS SORRY**

1.USB: Will only work with PC running XP or higher

2.Bluetooth: Will work for ANY Android product(phone tablet phablet) AND ANY PC running XP or higher,your PC must be BT equiped(DUH!)
If your PC doesnt have BT no fear a USB BT adapter can be bought for a small fee i got mine for $3 your local electronics store or
even wallmart should have one just make sure it is BT 2.0 or higher BUT NOTHING will beat usb reliability for PC

3.WIFI: Will work with ANY Apple product(iPhone iPad & iPadMini & iHuman & iDog & iFish & lolol you get the idea ANYTHING running iOS)

B.Software to read what your car is saying: !!These are the ones I own and use there are many out there just google diagnostics software!!
OR
!! Search OBDII in your android or apple App store!!

1.DashCommand:Search "DashCommand" in app store
ill be making/posting a video with a little about this app after work
**GREAT FOR MOBILE USE**

Question: Why?

Answer: Requires ONE-TIME-FEE and is on BOTH Android and iOS just log into your account and it can be used with both devices
(but the number of devices assoiciated with your account I do not know, I have currently 3 devices with my account)

2.ScanXL Professional:http://www.palmerperformance.com/pro...lpro/index.php
I JUST got this on friday for my PC. So i am still learning th ebells and whistles. I know it costs $129.95 message me though i think we can chop that down a little
Answer: Its more in depth,can run multiple charts, can save all kinds of info to your computer, and i like the big screen on my laptop!

NOW THAT THATS OUT THE WAY.....

Set-Up
A.Find your OBDII Port 99.9% of the time its on the drivers side somewhere underneath/behind the steering wheel if you dont know Google it

FOT THE C5 GUYS
[IMG]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-0A3lrywEdY0/Ux45xFDeNCI/AAAAAAAAEno/TVnJSJ3heFI/w957-h539-no/IMG_20140310_164251295.jpg[/ING]

B.Plug in your OBDII Reader

c.Insert keys and turn ingnition swithch to On

Question: What is the difference from acc and on?
Answer: Acc= As simple as i can say supplies power to basic electrics i.e. radio (12v to be specific i thunk(correct me if im wrong it may vary))
On= Runs electricirty to everything else(we need all the little computers on like ecu pcm bcm(for you guys who want to know more))

D.Make connection to your device: this part varys

1.Android:
Go to settings
Find Bluetooth
Turn on BT

Hit SEARCH FOR DEVICES(if it doesnt start scanning automatically)
Pair OBDII (passcode is usually 1234 or 0000 if not specific passcode is provided with the OBDII Reader)

2.iOS
Go to setting
Turn on WIFI
Let it scan for the OBDII and connect(it should connect automatically specific passcode is provided with the OBDII Reader)

3.PC:If not already BT it should be a Plug-&-Play
USB
Just plug it in and nope thats it just plug it in(okay i lied if a cd is included with the OBDII Reader insert that and install the drivers)

Bluetooth
XP:
Go to Control Panel
Click BT Devices
Then Add
Follow the pop up set up

Windows Vista and 7
Go to Control Panel
Hardware and Sound
Devices and Printers
In the uper left hand click add device
wait for OBDII Reader to pop up and enter passcode(passcode is usually 1234 or 0000 if not specific passcode is provided with the OBDII Reader)

Windows 8
At the Start screen start typing "Bluetooth"
Click the settings tab on the right of the screen underneath the apps option
Click add bluetooth device

4.MAC: **IF USING BLUETOOTH AND WIFI VERSIONS OF THE OBDII Reader GOOGLE IT**
!!JUST BUY OWNING A MAC YOUR MAC KNOWLWDGE SURPASES WHAT I KNOW!!
USB
Just plug it in and nope thats it just plug it in(okay i lied if a cd is included with the OBDII Reader insert that and install the drivers)

E.Start Software(read some descriptions of the soft ware watch some youtube videos on what it can do and go bananas!

HERES QUICK SHOW OF WHAT IT CAN DO

ALL DISPLAYS ARE INTERACTIVE JUST TAPE ON EM

[IMG]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-SCSMF3pJdEo/Ux44M2Na80I/AAAAAAAAEoQ/L-qyUxvaDqg/w958-h539-no/Screenshot_2014-03-10-16-48-05.png/IMG]

USE YOUR PHONE MOUNT AND LEVEL IT AS SHOWN FOR THIS TO WORK PROPERLY

FOR THE BIG SCREENS TECHIES THERES A MULIFUNTIONAL CUSTOMIZABLE GAUGE SCREEN

FOR THE SPEEDSTERS THIS ONES FOR YOU

EDIT THE 0-60 TO 0-WHATEVER YOU WANT

WHEN YOU HIT ACCELERATE TO START IT GIVES YOU A 3.2.1.GO!

RESULTS

EVEN SHARING RESULTS!

AND OF COURSE DIAGNOSTICS!!!

F.Always remember!

knowledge is truly power!

&

In the moment when I truly understand my enemy, understand him well enough to defeat him, then in that very moment I also love him.

G.Message me for ANY question regarding this or anything you think i may be of assistance I LITERALLY get a helpers high, dont hesitate!!!!!!!

Last edited by Ellison489; 03-11-2014 at 12:52 PM. Reason: update
Old 03-10-2014, 07:29 PM
kybilt
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Holy crap, I'm wore out just from looking at A FEW of those pictures.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:32 PM
Ellison489
Cruising

Originally Posted by kybilt
Holy crap, I'm wore out just from looking at A FEW of those pictures.
its got all the bells and whistles pretty much lol
(those urls were fun......NOT!)
Old 03-10-2014, 08:54 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

What a shame there is no more space left for anybody else to comment !
Old 03-10-2014, 09:28 PM
Paul 75 L82
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

This is your 4th post, WTF! That's why some forums make you have so many posts before you can post pictures. Do you own a Corvette?
Old 03-10-2014, 09:31 PM
Chilliwack vettes
Melting Slicks

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Perfect - that's exactly what I am looking for!

Now to find a tablet/computer touch screen that is small enough to fit into the radio bezel and still leave room for the HVAC & ashtray, and have at least 500gigs of HD.

That's not too much to ask for is it?
Old 03-10-2014, 09:47 PM
Ellison489
Cruising

Originally Posted by Chilliwack vettes
Perfect - that's exactly what I am looking for!

Now to find a tablet/computer touch screen that is small enough to fit into the radio bezel and still leave room for the HVAC & ashtray, and have at least 500gigs of HD.

That's not too much to ask for is it?
i was thinking about buying the double din mod and istead of a recomended radio getting a hdmi monitor and using my phone for the media and what not plus ill have internet/nav/music every where.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:51 PM
Ellison489
Cruising

Originally Posted by Paul 75 L82
This is your 4th post, WTF! That's why some forums make you have so many posts before you can post pictures. Do you own a Corvette?
no i just go around advertising all over forums........ WOOOW you and some others all you do is ask ask ask dude do SOME "work" the answers only a few click away..... tsk tsk tsk
Old 03-10-2014, 10:10 PM
Paul 75 L82
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm a 13 year member of this forum and on your 6th post your picking a fight. The Corvette Forum is one of the most respected forums on the web. One of the reasons for that is that all of the members make every attempt to be civil. Are you selling a product or service? It's really hard to tell. Did you post this over on the LS1Tech forum? Wonder how that went over. I have no idea what you meant by the answers are just a few clicks away. Maybe you should take a deep breath and start over.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:14 PM
fwrogg
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the review, I have the Bluetooth connection but forget about it.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:28 PM
Ellison489
Cruising

Originally Posted by Paul 75 L82
I'm a 13 year member of this forum and on your 6th post your picking a fight. The Corvette Forum is one of the most respected forums on the web. One of the reasons for that is that all of the members make every attempt to be civil. Are you selling a product or service? It's really hard to tell. Did you post this over on the LS1Tech forum? Wonder how that went over. I have no idea what you meant by the answers are just a few clicks away. Maybe you should take a deep breath and start over.
oh this is a do as i say not as i do thing?i mean go to my profile and check it ouuut it will take but a few seconds and give you the answer your looking for. neither one of those comments where a question just a statement.and we are all privileged freedom of speech and opinions. but god forbid i spread some knowledge
Old 03-10-2014, 10:41 PM
PhysicsDude55
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Ellison489
no i just go around advertising all over forums........ WOOOW you and some others all you do is ask ask ask dude do SOME "work" the answers only a few click away..... tsk tsk tsk
A bluetooth OBDII dongle and Torque or Dash Command app is nothing new on this forum, if you cared to do a search you'd find all sorts of threads about it.

Also, almost no one adds gauges to their dash that you could read out from the OBDII port. I have a Boost and wideband AFR guage, and am planning on adding fuel pressure. Guess what, none of those are can be read through the OBDII port on a C5, because the C5 doesn't come stock with those sensors.

Also, since you're so into informing and helping others, learn to use proper grammar, a more concise writing style, and more directed photos. No one likes reading a wall of text and then looking through 20 some odd redundant pictures
Old 03-10-2014, 10:48 PM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by PhysicsDude55
A bluetooth OBDII dongle and Torque or Dash Command app is nothing new on this forum, if you cared to do a search you'd find all sorts of threads about it.
That's true. Torque has been around for along time.

Also, almost no one adds gauges to their dash that you could read out from the OBDII port. I have a Boost and wideband AFR guage, and am planning on adding fuel pressure. Guess what, none of those are can be read through the OBDII port on a C5, because the C5 doesn't come stock with those sensors.
But that's not.

Dual Aeroforce interceptors, both read off the OBDII. Each reads two analog feeds as well. Left one pictured also reads the wideband.

Old 03-10-2014, 10:57 PM
PhysicsDude55
Drifting

Originally Posted by Sox-Fan
But that's not.

Dual Aeroforce interceptors, both read off the OBDII. Each reads two analog feeds as well. Left one pictured also reads the wideband.
What's not true about what I posted? I said very few C5 owners use a gauge that reads information that can be read through the OBDII port, especially since the DIC can display some of the things that people typically add gauges for.

I am familiar with the Aeroforce gauges, as I strongly considered buying them, but I am going to go out on a limb and say that your primary reason for buying them was for the analog inputs, not the OBDII data.

If you were going to go for OBDII data, I would have gone for the PLX DM-100 since I think it has a better display than the Aeroforce lineup.

Old 03-10-2014, 11:24 PM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

I think it's more than a few. I mean, you personally considered one then linked to another. Perhaps I'm reading your tone wrong, it's easy to do on a message board, but I'm reading you as being mostly dismissive of the information an OBDII gauge set can give you and that's a shame as there is a LOT of good info there. My DIC doesn't read transmission temp for example. Or alert me to misfires. Or Knock Retard.

Your assert that I bought my two Interceptors for the analog data is in error. Great that they do analog, really convenient, but no, I didn't buy them because I can plug my wideband into them.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:41 PM
PhysicsDude55
Drifting

Yes my tone was a little off, so I apologize about that.

I did consider an OBDII gauge, but after I bought HP Tuners I was less interested. I can pull and log whatever information + 4 analog inputs with it, and pretty much the only time I'm interested in knock, TPS, trims, etc. is when I'm tuning, so I'll have my laptop with me anyways.

It still would be nice to have, but wasn't worth it to me to spend a few hundred dollars installing one, and I already have 2 gauges on the A pillar.

Nevertheless, the Aeroforce gauges are very nice, don't get me wrong, I was just trying to make a point against the OP that when people add gauges, its typically to get non-OBDII data, and an OBDII dongle wouldn't really clean up the dash, because you would still want gauges for wideband or boost or whatever suits your build.

And your gauge install with the double din looks very slick

Last edited by PhysicsDude55; 03-10-2014 at 11:43 PM.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:29 AM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Yes my tone was a little off, so I apologize about that.

I did consider an OBDII gauge, but after I bought HP Tuners I was less interested. I can pull and log whatever information + 4 analog inputs with it, and pretty much the only time I'm interested in knock, TPS, trims, etc. is when I'm tuning, so I'll have my laptop with me anyways.

It still would be nice to have, but wasn't worth it to me to spend a few hundred dollars installing one, and I already have 2 gauges on the A pillar.

Nevertheless, the Aeroforce gauges are very nice, don't get me wrong, I was just trying to make a point against the OP that when people add gauges, its typically to get non-OBDII data, and an OBDII dongle wouldn't really clean up the dash, because you would still want gauges for wideband or boost or whatever suits your build.

And your gauge install with the double din looks very slick

Thanks for the compliment on the install. I bought the console from Dennis. I think it came out well.

I bought the Interceptors specifically because I can't have the laptop with HPTuners running while I'm racing the car, which is when bad things are going to happen. Torque would work, but a cell phone caddy on the dash isn't going to get by tech

Get notified of new replies

To Must have for vette owners take a gander

Old 03-11-2014, 12:45 PM
Ellison489
Cruising

Also, since you're so into informing and helping others, learn to use proper grammar, a more concise writing style, and more directed photos. No one likes reading a wall of text and then looking through 20 some odd redundant pictures
Allow me some time this is going to be a process as I do not have the need to get: Air fuel ratio, Exhaust gas temperature, Various fluid temps Vacuum Boost reads for my C5. Believe when I do I will update this and show in depth how to set it up it will also require a different OBDII reader with RX ports for the sensor module the one pictured above is a simple cheap but there are more advanced readers that can do what your looking for,it is just a little more money.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:50 PM
Oh 2 Fun
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 234 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '13, '15

IB4TL

Spam-O-Rama
Old 03-12-2014, 02:22 PM
0PalmerPerformance
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We are the developers of DashCommand, so if anyone has any questions or issues, we would be happy to help you out.

Thank You Ellison489 for the plug!! I don't know who Ellison is, but I support his spam lol

In one screen shot there, it shows some codes with ??? marks on them, that was a bug and the current version will not do that on GM vehicles anymore.

Ellison?? What does this mean?
"2.ScanXL Professional:http://www.palmerperformance.com/pro...lpro/index.php
I JUST got this on friday for my PC. So i am still learning th ebells and whistles. I know it costs $129.95 message me though i think we can chop that down a little
Answer: Its more in depth,can run multiple charts, can save all kinds of info to your computer, and i like the big screen on my laptop!"

PM me if you are a distributor of ScanXL

Last edited by PalmerPerformance; 03-12-2014 at 02:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Must have for vette owners take a gander