Notices
C5 General General C5 Corvette and C5 Z06 Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Odometer Readings - Are They Always Accurate?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2014, 09:44 AM
C5_
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default C5 Odometer Readings - Are They Always Accurate?

I'm in the market for a C5. Can odometer readings be manipulated? Is there anything I should be cautious about regarding odometer readings?

Thank you!
Old 04-05-2014, 10:34 AM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Received 1,063 Likes on 805 Posts

You should be able to verify mileage with the Carfax and service records. Dealers can manipulate mileage but it is pretty difficult without the right equipment. Not to mention they can get into big trouble.
Old 04-05-2014, 01:15 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about this issue . Mileage doesn't mean that much on a low miles car anyway if the snot was beat out of it . You should be looking for signs of abuse meaning bald rear tires , dirty or leaking engine , rough interior , neglected paint , etc. These and more are signs of little to no maintenance. Turning back mileage would be pure insanity today with so many paper trails on all vehicles and the penalties are high so that is the least of your worries. Do your research before you buy because there is plenty of information out there.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:37 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,305 Likes on 13,977 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by bj1k
I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about this issue . Mileage doesn't mean that much on a low miles car anyway if the snot was beat out of it . You should be looking for signs of abuse meaning bald rear tires , dirty or leaking engine , rough interior , neglected paint , etc. These and more are signs of little to no maintenance. Turning back mileage would be pure insanity today with so many paper trails on all vehicles and the penalties are high so that is the least of your worries. Do your research before you buy because there is plenty of information out there.
Just not worth the legal trouble someone can get into to roll back the mileage. Not saying it can't be done, just not worth it.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:40 PM
racebum
Race Director

Received 153 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
Just not worth the legal trouble someone can get into to roll back the mileage. Not saying it can't be done, just not worth it.
not at all true

it's only a crime if the car is ten years old or newer in most or all states

mileage is very easy to alter and i came across at least one c5 i'm certain was altered when i was shopping

absolutely check carfax, at a bare minimum pull a manifold vacuum reading on the manifold when the car is warm at idle and look over the undercarrage for any concealed leaks or damage
Old 04-05-2014, 08:54 PM
thisMSGgood4me
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by racebum
not at all true

mileage is very easy to alter and i came across at least one c5 i'm certain was altered when i was shopping

absolutely check carfax, at a bare minimum pull a manifold vacuum reading on the manifold when the car is warm at idle and look over the undercarrage for any concealed leaks or damage
Never heard that before. I highly doubt it. I'd bet that in all states (I know for a fact it is in TX), the seller has to disclose if he/she knows if the odometer reading is not a true indication of actual miles on the vehicle, regardless of age of the vehicle.

On the Application for Texas Title, the seller has to attest to the mileage, given this warning: ODOMETER DISCLOSURE - FEDERAL AND STATE LAW REQUIRES THAT YOU STATE THE MILEAGE UPON TRANSFER OF OWNERSHIP. FAILURE TO COMPLETE OR PROVIDING A FALSE STATEMENT MAY RESULT IN FINES AND/OR IMPRISONMENT. Nowhere does it qualify the warning only to vehicles of a certain age or less.
Old 04-05-2014, 10:44 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Tens years and older is the rule in Wis:
Under state and federal law, the seller - whether an individual or dealer - must provide the buyer with a written odometer statement. (Vehicles ten years old or older, or with a gross weight rating of more than 16,000 pounds are exempt from this requirement.) Wisconsin and most other states show the odometer statement on the title. Ask the seller to show you the title. Make sure the current mileage on the vehicle’s odometer is greater than the mileage shown on the title. Alterations or erasures make the title invalid. If the title is in a dealership name, or the title has been transferred from dealer to dealer, be on your guard. This could indicate a tampering problem
Old 04-05-2014, 10:57 PM
kennedy759
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

bought my 97 in June with 89k on it, finally bought a car fax and showed Nevada emission checks at 95k and 98k, then shows change of ownership at 85k, figured it was set back 15k to help it sell well below 100k, so yes it can be done, I do not think the person I bought it from knew of the change, as it had been owned by several people and dealers over 4 states. There is a long gap of no car fax info, in which all the mods were done and odometer messed with while in Nevada, car was bought in Ill moved to Maryland and I live in Indiana.
Old 04-05-2014, 11:20 PM
thisMSGgood4me
Drifting

Originally Posted by JR-01
Tens years and older is the rule in Wis:
Good to know that about WI. Thanks for pointing it out.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:09 AM
Choreo
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 303 Likes on 220 Posts

No... they are not all accurate any more than all women are faithful. I have found odometers and women to all be off a little bit in one direction or the other. What you see is not always what you get, both tend to lie about their mileage.
Old 04-06-2014, 12:37 AM
DanSavage
Safety Car

Received 175 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by thisMSGgood4me
Good to know that about WI. Thanks for pointing it out.
It looks like JR-01 meant to write that in WI, it's 10 years and newer are required to be accurate. ('Vehicles ten years old or older, or with a gross weight rating of more than 16,000 pounds are exempt from this requirement.')

It's as easy to alter the odometer reading as simply swapping in an instrument cluster for one with a lower odometer reading.

Let's say you have a car that you want to sell that has 150,000 miles on it. You swap in an IPC that has 45,000 miles and don't have it reprogrammed, and now you have a car that shows 45,000 miles.

Is it legal? According to WI laws, it is legal. Is it moral? Definitely not.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...-question.html
Old 04-06-2014, 12:41 AM
C5_
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Scary stuff...
Old 04-06-2014, 02:30 AM
racebum
Race Director

Never heard that before. I highly doubt it. I'd bet that in all states (I know for a fact it is in TX), the seller has to disclose if he/she knows if the odometer reading is not a true indication of actual miles on the vehicle, regardless of age of the vehicle.

On the Application for Texas Title, the seller has to attest to the mileage, given this warning: ODOMETER DISCLOSURE - FEDERAL AND STATE LAW REQUIRES THAT YOU STATE THE MILEAGE UPON TRANSFER OF OWNERSHIP. FAILURE TO COMPLETE OR PROVIDING A FALSE STATEMENT MAY RESULT IN FINES AND/OR IMPRISONMENT. Nowhere does it qualify the warning only to vehicles of a certain age or less.
you live in one of the only states i know of with a state code that can punish fraud that doesn't have the ten year clause {i think}

texas penal code 727.002 http://law.onecle.com/texas/transpor...27.002.00.html

is a rather unique law, most states don't have this and it's a big part of why fraud is such a big problem

in my state, oregon, it's ten years

this is straight off nhtsa.gov and how most the country works

Committing odometer fraud is a
crime. The federal government
passed a law that requires a written
disclosure of the mileage registered
on an odometer be provided by the
seller to the purchaser on the title
to the vehicle when the ownership
of a vehicle is transferred. If the
odometer mileage is incorrect, the
law requires a statement to that
effect to be furnished on the title
to the buyer. However, vehicles ten
years and older are exempt from the
written disclosure requirements

Last edited by racebum; 04-06-2014 at 02:38 AM.
Old 04-06-2014, 02:36 AM
racebum
Race Director

Originally Posted by DanSavage
It looks like JR-01 meant to write that in WI, it's 10 years and newer are required to be accurate. ('Vehicles ten years old or older, or with a gross weight rating of more than 16,000 pounds are exempt from this requirement.')

It's as easy to alter the odometer reading as simply swapping in an instrument cluster for one with a lower odometer reading.

Let's say you have a car that you want to sell that has 150,000 miles on it. You swap in an IPC that has 45,000 miles and don't have it reprogrammed, and now you have a car that shows 45,000 miles.

Is it legal? According to WI laws, it is legal. Is it moral? Definitely not.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...-question.html
absolutely, only most people aren't stupid enough to make a 150k car a 45k car, they would make it a 90k car or a 200k car a 110k mile car, something believable but enough to make them a couple thousand dollars. the car i'm speaking of seeing i was fairly sure was tampered had 84k miles on the clock, showed 60k in 2005 and the seller told me where he worked and that he drove it everyday, all freeway miles he says. he had no idea i checked the mileage via carfax either. anyway, he had a 40 mile each way commute times 8 years, well 80 miles a day 5 days a week is 20,800 miles, times 8 years is 160k+ the 60k on it. maybe he didn't drive quite that much but the car looked like a 200k mile car to me based on seal condition, hinges, paint and feel of the plastic. one of my friends was a dealer for awhile and said roughly 1/4 of all cars that were brought to him over 10 years old had altered miles
Old 04-06-2014, 09:59 AM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

not at all true

Your facts are not right. They only ask for odometer statements for 10 years or newer but it is still illegal to tamper with any mileage. Try it and tell any law enforcement officer that you did it and see what the outcome is , then report back to us.
Old 04-06-2014, 10:08 AM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

Your facts are not right. They only ask for odometer statements for 10 years or newer but it is still illegal to tamper with any mileage. Try it and tell any law enforcement officer that you did it and see what the outcome is , then report back to us.
Without documentation you would be dumb to trust the odometer on any old car. Restoration, modifying and part replacement could have occurred. I replaced the broken speedometer in my 66 Mustang with one I got in the junkyard with a 20K mile difference and I do not believe I was breaking the law. That is why they have the ten year and older exempt law.
Documentation is the key for old cars with low mileage..
Old 04-06-2014, 01:40 PM
racebum
Race Director

read the post before you type this nonsense

i've checked my states legal code, the federal law i posted,

research your own state and post up the legal code of what you find

texas is one of the only states i know of with a law that seems to apply to vehicles of all ages, most the others would seem to follow the feds. if no written signed mileage statement is required it literally would be word against word even if you did find proof mileage was not accurate. like i said before in the posts above you didn't read. one of my friends was a dealer for awhile, he looked into this. the police have no interest unless the car is ten years old or newer in our state

Last edited by racebum; 04-06-2014 at 01:43 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Odometer Readings - Are They Always Accurate?

Old 04-06-2014, 02:17 PM
JR-01
Le Mans Master

read the post before you type this nonsense

i've checked my states legal code, the federal law i posted,

research your own state and post up the legal code of what you find

texas is one of the only states i know of with a law that seems to apply to vehicles of all ages, most the others would seem to follow the feds. if no written signed mileage statement is required it literally would be word against word even if you did find proof mileage was not accurate. like i said before in the posts above you didn't read. one of my friends was a dealer for awhile, he looked into this. the police have no interest unless the car is ten years old or newer in our state
For older cars all the seller/dealer has to say is "For all I know, the mileage on the odometer is correct." and he is off the hook even if you sue him. For ten years and newer if you can prove the mileage has been tampered with you can file a complaint.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:13 PM
thisMSGgood4me
Drifting

In light of what racebum quoted in post #13, I think the bottom line is, in situations unlike here in TX, there is no requirement to disclose whether the mileage as shown on the odometer of vehicles 10 years old and older is accurate or not. However, if an odometer reading is disclosed on such a vehicle and it can be proven to be incorrect (and not disclosed as being incorrect), then that constitutes fraud. So if the vehicle is 10 years old or older, the safe thing to do is to just not disclose the odometer reading when transferring title, as it appears you're not required to according to the law. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your point of view), here in TX, one MUST disclose the odometer reading regardless of the vehicle's age. I personally think this is a good thing, as it would tend to reduce the occurrence of this type of fraud, knowing that there are severe penalties for doing such. It seems lots of other states and the feds don't really care as much about this type of fraud occurring as we do in TX.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:33 PM
racebum
Race Director

In light of what racebum quoted in post #13, I think the bottom line is, in situations unlike here in TX, there is no requirement to disclose whether the mileage as shown on the odometer of vehicles 10 years old and older is accurate or not. However, if an odometer reading is disclosed on such a vehicle and it can be proven to be incorrect (and not disclosed as being incorrect), then that constitutes fraud. So if the vehicle is 10 years old or older, the safe thing to do is to just not disclose the odometer reading when transferring title, as it appears you're not required to according to the law. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on your point of view), here in TX, one MUST disclose the odometer reading regardless of the vehicle's age. I personally think this is a good thing, as it would tend to reduce the occurrence of this type of fraud, knowing that there are severe penalties for doing such. It seems lots of other states and the feds don't really care as much about this type of fraud occurring as we do in TX.
pretty much. if you look at the fraud angle, you would have to prove the seller knowingly altered the odo. the seller could say, well that's what it said when i bought it or really about anything. very hard to build a criminal case.

the best approach is to be very guarded as a buyer, do your homework and look the car over and ask yourself "does this mileage seem accurate"

Quick Reply: C5 Odometer Readings - Are They Always Accurate?