Sponsored by:

u haul auto transport

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 11:26 AM
Cubman
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

Default u haul auto transport

Does anyone know if a original height c5 will go on a U Haul auto transport trailer without using boards on the ramps. The front should clear the stops. I'm at 7" in the front. Tks.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:51 AM
paoutlaw
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have used U-haul transports for my C5. You will have to use some kind of extention on the ramps. The car is just too low to go on the trailer without scraping. I used some 6 foot ramps with the trailer ramps to smooth out the transition. You can also back up to a bank to make a straighter transition onto the trailer. Be careful of the front spoiler on the front of the trailer. I removed mine so as not to rip it off. As I remember, I had to enter and exit the car thru the hatch because of the fenders on the trailer will hit the doors if you try to open them. Hope this all helps. Other than these things I liked the U- haul and will use them again.

The Outlaw
Old 05-16-2014, 02:01 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Most Uhaul trailers now have the fold down fender on the driver's side. Fold it down before you start. Open the door carefully in case it doesn't go low enough to clear your door. If you can put the back of the trailer up to an upslope as in a sloping driveway, it will usually clear. I've never had to remove anything on the front of the car.
Old 05-16-2014, 02:34 PM
92GA
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
Oldtimer

Another thing you can do, is drive the rear tires of towing vehicle up on some blocks. That'll lower the back of the trailer.
Old 05-16-2014, 03:17 PM
0Double D Mods
Former Vendor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 101 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

you will need something to extend ramps yes

Old 05-16-2014, 04:20 PM
Cubman
Pro

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

It looks like window valet would come in handy with a vert With the fender so close.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:28 PM
PhysicsDude55
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Cubman
It looks like window valet would come in handy with a vert With the fender so close.
Yes I had that issue when I U-hauled my Vette. I ended up leaving the key in the ignition to roll the window up and left the doors unlocked while trailered. My car was stock height when I trailered it, and the door would not clear the drop down fender.

U-Haul has a page with tips on loading low cars into the auto transport. If you use a few planks of wood per their recommendation, you won't have any issues. Just need something to extend the ramps, and some wood to prop up the front so that the bumper doesn't hit the front of the trailer.

http://www.uhaul.com/Articles/Tips/1...ound-clearance
Old 05-16-2014, 10:58 PM
Biotex
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got done loading/unloading mine a few days ago. My trailer was silver in color, not red like the one in the above picture, but what I did was to lower the jack while the trailer was hooked to the hitch. This raises the front of the trailer several inches. It pulls the tow vehicle up by the ball, but I'm not talking an extreme amount. Just enough so the nose clears the ramps.
Doesn't take much.

Get notified of new replies

To u haul auto transport

Quick Reply: u haul auto transport