Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Buck C5's ..how the other half lives

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 08:22 AM
ledesordre
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Picked up an 02 Z06 with 106K miles for 11K.
Body and paint look great overall esp for that kind of mileage.

Issues:
-Car drives well except has a grind going into 4th gear, but 4th is easy enough to avoid until I can get the trans rebuilt.
-previous owner thought it would be a great idea to cut the titanium exhaust going over the rear axle, so I've got to hunt down a new catback as this thing is boat-droney loud at the moment and needs an inspection.
-oil pressure sensor not working/leaking oil, already replaced this as my first work on the car.
-AC compressor out which is a pain in the *** in the heat of the Texas summer. Car is currently under the knife getting the AC compressor replaced.
-Has 1 z06 c5 seat and 1 c6 seat....mismatched...need to hunt down another c6 seat I reckon.
-Headliner coming down, will probably replace with some board-backed vinyl.
-traction control inop lights
-abs inop lights

Making it my goal to get it in tip top shape right now. In addition to replacing the AC compressor, it's currently under for putting on a new water pump, thermostat, and cleaning up the engine body grounds.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:48 AM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,105 Likes on 706 Posts

Originally Posted by SaxyVette
HB I hear the SURF'S UP out yer way.. If ya get near Boulder City give me a shout !!
The surf is up! Two huge days and I made it out alive. 56 years old and I feel like I am 26. Big waves keep the crowds down so I had a great time out there. I will look for you when I am in Nevada (quite often for work and fun).
Old 08-29-2014, 12:36 PM
SaxyVette
Drifting

Received 91 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by ledesordre
Picked up an 02 Z06 with 106K miles for 11K.
Body and paint look great overall esp for that kind of mileage.

Issues:
-Car drives well except has a grind going into 4th gear, but 4th is easy enough to avoid until I can get the trans rebuilt.
-previous owner thought it would be a great idea to cut the titanium exhaust going over the rear axle, so I've got to hunt down a new catback as this thing is boat-droney loud at the moment and needs an inspection.
-oil pressure sensor not working/leaking oil, already replaced this as my first work on the car.
-AC compressor out which is a pain in the *** in the heat of the Texas summer. Car is currently under the knife getting the AC compressor replaced.
-Has 1 z06 c5 seat and 1 c6 seat....mismatched...need to hunt down another c6 seat I reckon.
-Headliner coming down, will probably replace with some board-backed vinyl.
-traction control inop lights
-abs inop lights

Making it my goal to get it in tip top shape right now. In addition to replacing the AC compressor, it's currently under for putting on a new water pump, thermostat, and cleaning up the engine body grounds.
Sounds like a good car, low miles and a great price...keep us posted on your progress..
Old 08-29-2014, 12:45 PM
SaxyVette
Drifting

HB sounds like a plan, I'm in Boulder City it's on the way to Hoover Dam about 20 mi from the Vegas strip. It's a very cool little town with lots of corvettes and motorcycles cruising thru on the week-ends. Let me know if ya need my number.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:06 PM
ArtGle
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts

Well..FINALLY 2 new headlamp motors installed. I had the local Pro shop do the job. Cost me some pretty good cake but I know the job was done well. Looks very neat now with the wiring all connected back up on the little fender clips, the lamps work perfect. They also connected my pass side lower duct plastic thing back up while they were in there, it had been hanging loose..

I had them try replace a bulb as my driverside front running light works but the turn signal doesn't blink...

here's their quote from the repair order..

"Tech replaced customer supplied bulb on Driver's front. The socket is melted and broken so it needs replaced at some point as we don't know how long it will last".

Now I've got to find a good turn signal socket to replace mine. They quoted me 1/2 hr labor to do that job. Anyway I'm good to go for cruisin' at night and a very happy camper.

Hey Saxy...
Look Here

http://www.parts123.com/corvettecent...49&subcat=49AD
Attached Images  
Old 08-30-2014, 03:21 AM
SaxyVette
Drifting

Thanks Art That's the one I probably will go for..
Old 08-31-2014, 10:19 PM
nullpointer
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

Just read through the 12 pages and congrats! Very nice to see someone document their adventures with a low buck C5 You have a great attitude with everyone, its refreshing!

I have a drop in K&N filter (for your stock airbox) laying around if you wanted it?

http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?prod=33-2111

Just cover shipping (USPS would be cheapest) and its yours. I would rather give someone a good deal and see them enjoy it over selling it as it was on my car years ago when I got it.

Last edited by nullpointer; 08-31-2014 at 10:23 PM.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:04 PM
SaxyVette
Drifting

Thanks Null I need to check my airbox to see what I have in there. I might take you up your kind offer, I probably have a stock filter...we'll see this week.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:42 PM
SaxyVette
Drifting

Saw 2 corvettes parked yesterday while I was playing my Sunday gig at Jacks Place in Boulder City..both C6's a beautiful Black Roadster and a fine looking Dark Gray coupe..maybe forum guys IDK..my projects this week are getting my headight covers flushed up and checking to see what's in my airbox..I really don't know how to access the air filter yet, I'll do a search or maybe you guys will give me a tip. Happy Labor Day (no labor for me today)..
Old 09-07-2014, 03:02 PM
SaxyVette
Drifting

Nothing much new going on..got my headlight covers flushed up, they look fine now..haven't dealt with with the airbox yet, I don't want to take anything apart myself, I'll get some help with it when the time comes..

In the meantime I've noticed my brake fluid is black and nasty looking, I'm thinking that issue might be a priority and I better get the fluid changed ASAP. I started a thread in the Tech section to get some ideas on cost and what's involved.

Anyway my my car is serving me well and running great. I've only put 1200 mi on the old black beast so far.

Sometimes I think about pulling some codes and stuff, but it's so damn technical..I keep putting it off..the top few lights on the DIC indicator don't light up anyway..well at least my regular engine temp, oil pressure, charging system etc gauges tell me everything is basically OK...

Happy Sunday gang..here's the music news..my Jacks Place gig on Sunday has ended due to Football, but Jack switched us to "Ladies Night" every Tues which is great news for me and my bank acct. The Tues nights had been kinda dead action since he opened, but last Tues (our first one) was killer..!! We packed the place, Jack was beaming, it was the best Tues nite he ever had..

Enough for now..more to come soon on the low buck saga..Sure glad Fall is here, outside temps are starting to come down here in blistering Vegas..

Last edited by SaxyVette; 09-07-2014 at 03:09 PM.
Old 09-07-2014, 04:31 PM
mpride
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Nothing much new going on..got my headlight covers flushed up, they look fine now..haven't dealt with with the airbox yet, I don't want to take anything apart myself, I'll get some help with it when the time comes..

In the meantime I've noticed my brake fluid is black and nasty looking, I'm thinking that issue might be a priority and I better get the fluid changed ASAP. I started a thread in the Tech section to get some ideas on cost and what's involved.

Anyway my my car is serving me well and running great. I've only put 1200 mi on the old black beast so far.

Sometimes I think about pulling some codes and stuff, but it's so damn technical..I keep putting it off..the top few lights on the DIC indicator don't light up anyway..well at least my regular engine temp, oil pressure, charging system etc gauges tell me everything is basically OK...

Happy Sunday gang..here's the music news..my Jacks Place gig on Sunday has ended due to Football, but Jack switched us to "Ladies Night" every Tues which is great news for me and my bank acct. The Tues nights had been kinda dead action since he opened, but last Tues (our first one) was killer..!! We packed the place, Jack was beaming, it was the best Tues nite he ever had..

Enough for now..more to come soon on the low buck saga..Sure glad Fall is here, outside temps are starting to come down here in blistering Vegas..

Saxy,
see if any of this helps.

To change the air filter is a very easy process. Anyone should be able to do it. Just take your time.

Checking the engine codes is also an easy thing to do. Here is the condensed process:
1. Turn the key to the ON position
2. Press the RESET button
3. Hold the OPTIONS button down and press the FUEL button 4 times
4. Press RESET after it cycles through the modules listing
5. Press OPTIONS to cycle to next module
6. Press and hold RESET to clear codes for the module
7. Press E/M to exit diagnostic mode

Changing the brake fluid is of course a bit more involved. However, if you don't have the money at this time to have it done you could try and at least replacing the fluid in the master cylinder. It won't solve the problem but it might give you a few more weeks or months. It's very easy to do.

Brake Fluid Change with a Turkey Baster
Old 09-07-2014, 05:07 PM
SaxyVette
Drifting

mpride, THANKS for your thoughtful and helpful post..!!

You've encouraged me to take a look at my airbox filter..actually looks like something I can do myself without screwing anything up..(Null' please stand by)

The DIC aaarrrrghhhh.. well I guess I'll crack a couple cold ones first and see what I come up with..( I'll give a report after I sober up)

Now about that Turkey Baster..Man my GF's gonna kill me..

Oh well Thanksgiving is a long ways off..maybe she won't notice..
Old 09-07-2014, 05:10 PM
SaxyVette
Drifting

Originally Posted by bow tie guy
I really enjoyed reading this.............................

especially enjoyed the part where you washed it befor photographing it, then detailed it .

So I Quess Ill have to start my own Hi I'm the new dork from across the street thread,since yesterday morning I drove to san diego(I'm in Hemet) and bought an 04 coupe with a manual trans your basic torch red in flawless Garaged one owner condition with records from day 1

p.s. I got here researching the fuel sender Sounds like I'm really in for a beating normally I research the hell out of things, just found out my 04 is a real honey when it comes to anything fuel tank !

OK carry on.........................Don

Don, That thing is Drop-Dead Gorgeous a dream car fer sure..
Old 09-07-2014, 06:28 PM
rjwz28
Safety Car

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

You've encouraged me to take a look at my airbox filter..actually looks like something I can do myself without screwing anything up..(Null' please stand by)

The DIC aaarrrrghhhh.. well I guess I'll crack a couple cold ones first and see what I come up with..( I'll give a report after I sober up)

If you don't want to **** the woman off, you can head to Walmart and buy a syringe that's made for such things in the auto parts section; it's less than $10 and works better than the baster that's what I use to Ranger my clutch fluid, which is the exact same principle as what you're thinking about doing
Old 09-08-2014, 11:20 AM
Stealthxusa
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great thread SaxyVette!

I just brought home my '04 C5 Base A4 Coupe on 8/23, drove her for around 4 days and now it's been in the shop since then. (good thing I opted for a 6-month extended service contract, as that's covering most of this visit!). I thought I got a good deal on it for the low miles (66700) before I read about your find. LOL

Anyway, seeing the progress you've made on your sled is inspiring to say the least!
Old 09-08-2014, 04:25 PM
SaxyVette
Drifting

Thanks Stealth..been driving it like I stole it (avoiding dragstrips, race tracks and burn-outs of course)..man I get compliments on my old beater everywhere.. Slowly but surely I'm fixing stuff as I can afford to. Best on your new sled too.. let us know about your adventures, curious minds want to know..

Cheers
Old 09-08-2014, 11:11 PM
scarecrowkc5
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you posted a link to some tunes you play on that sax?

Did you say you are 70 years old?

Get notified of new replies

To Low Buck C5's ..how the other half lives

Old 09-09-2014, 11:19 AM
SaxyVette
Drifting

for the music lovers there's some old demo tunes at:

www.box.net/cashsax

yes 70 this yr and still rockin'..
Attached Images  

Last edited by SaxyVette; 09-09-2014 at 11:24 AM.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:31 AM
nullpointer
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

LOL

"honey why does the turkey taste like ****?"
Old 09-09-2014, 01:07 PM
Oh 2 Fun
Le Mans Master

Received 548 Likes on 234 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '13, '15

Seems you are learning a lot about your car....and maybe about yourself with this project. Maybe your mechanical confidence will rise to the point of tackling even more components by yourself. I learned mostly by just diving in and ask questions if you get stumped. Plus I always keep my ears open for tricks and tips.

Yer dang good on that horn brother!! I love playing with horns (drummer/harp here) and have been in bands with trumpet and sax and really like it. Of course I grew up (literally) around horns and woodwinds being in all the school bands.

I turn 60 in April and am still rocking in a working band.

My 'Vette is an '02 Coupe, six speed in Pewter at 109K. I've had it about six and half years and am still in love. No major mods and try to fix a lot myself but once in awhile it pays to farm stuff out.

So keep up the good work and enthusiasm....this car is SOOO worth it. And keep on blowing that horn.....that itch you gotta scratch.

Quick Reply: Low Buck C5's ..how the other half lives