Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 TCS code C1214, should I buy it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 01:23 PM
piper_chuck
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 2001 TCS code C1214, should I buy it?

Decided to put this in a new thread to split it out from my other one that evolved into a C4 vs C5 discussion.

I was close to buying an 01 with a bit over 30K miles. It's at a dealer, but not Chevy. It's got 30K miles, is in very good condition, drives well, and has options including M6, Polished Alum Wheels, 1SC Preferred Group 2, and Z51 Performance Package. The price is pretty good.

When I was doing my final pre-negotiation inspection I found a bunch of codes. Talked with the salesman about the car and found it had battery issues when they first got it. Decided to clear the codes and drive it again. By the time I got back the ABS and TCS warning lights were on and the display said Service Active Handling System and Service Antilock Brake System.

They say they took it to the Chevy dealer to fix it and they found nothing wrong. Said something about one of the tires having a nail and that might have caused the error. They added that they drove it 100 miles and no more codes showed up. They have offered to get an estimate from the Chevy dealer on what the repair costs would typically be for this problem and take that off the price of the car.

I've got a number of scenarios I'm thinking through so I wanted to get some other people's opinions.

First, what would a dealer typically charge to replace the ECBM? F&Yb0dluvr posted a $1500+ estimate in the other thread. Is this fairly typical?

At this point I'm on the fence about this car. It looks good, drives good, appears to have been well cared for, and has the options I'm looking for. Assuming this problem really was a fluke, I could be quite happy with this car. However, there are many other cars on the market I'd also be happy with, and since I'm looking at 10-13 year old cars, any of them could develop the same issue.

I want to give them a response later this afternoon even if it's an "I'm thinking about it". Following are some possible options, I'd be interested to hear other people's thoughts:
  1. Accept their offer. Definitely not doing this, there are other cars out there and I don't think the potential cost of the repair will be enough.
  2. Walk away from the deal and find something else. At this point, this is a distinct possibility.
  3. Tell them I'm thinking about it, give me a $ amount, and will get back to them by Monday and go look at other cars tomorrow. I'm leaning toward this option. I see several interesting cars in the Atlanta area and have time to make a road trip tomorrow.
  4. Counter by telling them I want $2200 below their previous price.
  5. Tell them to take it back to the Chevy dealer, have a full inspection done, and have the report sent directly to me. I doubt they want to do this, I sense they're tired of this car and want it off the lot.
  6. Insist that they cover the cost of any repairs recommended by a Chevy inspection that I get after the sale. They're probably not going to blindly agree to any repairs, but I could also have them write in that they will repair it or if unwilling, take the car back.
  7. Other ideas?
Old 06-06-2014, 01:48 PM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

absfixer.com, $150 fix.
Old 06-06-2014, 01:51 PM
Cowboy26a
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

The EBCM in a 2001 thru 2004 can be repaired with the C1214 code. This relates directly to the relay in the EBCM. There arenumerous threads on how to repair it yourself or where to send it to for repair. My 2003 at 37K miles showed the same code and I sent it to AbsFixer and got it repaired for $150. The C1214 code on a 2001 to 2004 is no big deal. Don't buy a new one. Get yours repaired instead.
Old 06-06-2014, 02:39 PM
piper_chuck
Racer

Originally Posted by Cowboy26a
The EBCM in a 2001 thru 2004 can be repaired with the C1214 code. This relates directly to the relay in the EBCM. There arenumerous threads on how to repair it yourself or where to send it to for repair. My 2003 at 37K miles showed the same code and I sent it to AbsFixer and got it repaired for $150. The C1214 code on a 2001 to 2004 is no big deal. Don't buy a new one. Get yours repaired instead.
Originally Posted by 3boystoys
absfixer.com, $150 fix.
So, if it goes bad later, that's what it would cost me. Thanks for this. Now I just need to see how much they're willing to drop the price based on the dealer's estimate.
Old 06-06-2014, 02:53 PM
MyNameIsJared
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by piper_chuck
So, if it goes bad later, that's what it would cost me. Thanks for this. Now I just need to see how much they're willing to drop the price based on the dealer's estimate.
If all else seems fine with the car, I would see if they would drop it the $1200 or so that they might typically charge to fix it and then buy it. There are a bunch of guys out there that drive around all the time with that code, usually just because they don't think it is that big of a deal to mess with at the time. It's very often a code that pops up intermittently.

Like others mentioned, you could send off to abs fixer and have it taken care of, or there is a pretty good write up on this forum of how to fix it yourself with a bit of soldering. I'll see if I can find it. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...r-fleabay.html

Some people on this forum think it is a big deal to have that code show up, some don't mind it much at all other than having to clear the DIC when it does happen.

I would look at it as a good way to save quite a bit of money to put towards other things for the car!!!

Last edited by MyNameIsJared; 06-06-2014 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Add link
Old 06-06-2014, 03:20 PM
jcgunn
Melting Slicks

Received 278 Likes on 185 Posts

Make the dealer fix it as a condition of sale or run away bravely.
Old 06-06-2014, 03:40 PM
3boystoys
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

We'll if you go the the absfixer.com site, you'll see the instruction to remove the EBCM to send it to them, it fairly easy once you locate the 6 screws. Many people here have had this done, he actually updates some of the electronics and a new relay so the likelihood of it happening again is remote. The price your being quoted is for a NEW GM EBCM (which will probably get the same problem at about the same mileage).
Old 06-06-2014, 03:40 PM
Cowboy26a
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jcgunn
i would rather they drop the price by $1200.00 and I fix it for $150.00. No need to run away if the price is right and the car is in good condition. The ECBM on that car is child's play with the 1214 code.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:22 PM
piper_chuck
Racer

Originally Posted by Cowboy26a
i would rather they drop the price by $1200.00 and I fix it for $150.00. No need to run away if the price is right and the car is in good condition. The ECBM on that car is child's play with the 1214 code.
After the responses and past research I had done on the EBCM issues, part of why I haven't been looking earlier than 01, the repair doesn't worry me at all. What's in the back of my mind now is wondering whether other electrical problems might also creep up?
Old 06-06-2014, 04:24 PM
piper_chuck
Racer

Originally Posted by jcgunn
Their response made it clear they don't think there's a problem, but that in the interest of making a sale are willing to drop the price more. I do know that the only code thrown on my short test was the one listed. So, if I went back again I would do a longer drive, be sure I tested every electrical device, and then check codes one more time.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:26 PM
piper_chuck
Racer

Originally Posted by 3boystoys
We'll if you go the the absfixer.com site, you'll see the instruction to remove the EBCM to send it to them, it fairly easy once you locate the 6 screws. Many people here have had this done, he actually updates some of the electronics and a new relay so the likelihood of it happening again is remote. The price your being quoted is for a NEW GM EBCM (which will probably get the same problem at about the same mileage).
Thanks. I knew about the rebuilts, but hadn't looked into them. It's good to know they come out better than new. If I buy this car and if it continues to have this issue, I would definitely go rebuilt.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:29 PM
piper_chuck
Racer

The offer was to drop an additional $1300 off the price. Got it too late in the day to respond, will ponder it over night.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:04 PM
F&Yb0dluvr
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The offer was to drop an additional $1300 off the price. Got it too late in the day to respond, will ponder it over night.
That's great like I said in the other thread it's about $170 to fix(with shipping) through absfixer..when I bought my 01' in November 2012 the "service traction" light came on during the test drive, the dealership was hiding it from me but I used it as a bargaining tool as my car was EXACTLY what I wanted(Torch Red/ Black 6spd) in my price range and they knocked another grand off because I said the car had "electrical problems" even knowing it can be fixed through absfixer. I reset the code during the drive home and it didn't come on again for about every fillup..as time went on it got worse and now comes on almost every other startup so I'm going to be getting it fixed soon, if this is THE car you want don't let that silly code stop you I like saying the EBCM issues of the C5 is the OPTISPARK of the C4 but it's not NEAR as bad as a bad EbCM relay won't STRAND you on the side of the road but they are about as common a problem.

Last edited by F&Yb0dluvr; 06-06-2014 at 08:17 PM.
Old 06-06-2014, 09:25 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,307 Likes on 13,978 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

What's in the back of my mind now is wondering whether other electrical problems might also creep up?
As long as that is the only code showing up, the offer from the dealer to drop the price $1300 is very fair. Take their offer and then get the EBCM fixed for the $150 or so and drive on.

As with any used car (heck even on new ones for that matter) there is no guarantee that something won't happen down the road. Sometimes you just have to use your best judgement and take a chance.
Old 06-07-2014, 09:35 PM
piper_chuck
Racer

Bad news/good news. I did some looking online yesterday and today and came across an 06 that was exactly the color we were looking for and it was on the way to the beach my wife and daughters were headed to today. Originally I was going to stay home because I have to work today. I called the dealer and got the option codes. When I decoded the options it had I decided I had to take a look. Many hours later it's parked under the house here at the beach.

Get notified of new replies

To 2001 TCS code C1214, should I buy it?

Quick Reply: 2001 TCS code C1214, should I buy it?