Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newb Valve Train Questions. (Non-Vette)

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 10:39 AM
jimlikeschevys
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Newb Valve Train Questions. (Non-Vette)

I'm working on an engine of an unknown history. It may have been used as a race engine based on the monster valve springs. And not all parts are there and I'm trying to piece it back together to make it streetable. But first time doing this and lots of unknowns.

1. Are these lifters Hydraulic Roller or Mechanical Roller? They have no part number or any brand name markings on them.

2. The cylinder head had springs, but no studs or rockers. I bought some Scorpion Roller Rockers and ARP studs. However I'm having a mental block on how these go together. It seems like the the stud 'seat' should fit inside of the slot in the bottom of the rocker. However the stud seat is too big so the rocker is going physically sit on the seat once its tightened and then it won't move. I thought I must have gotten the wrong kind of studs, but I don't ever see studs being sold in different seat sizes. There are different lengths and different sizes like 3/8, or 7/16, but all seem to have the same seat size. What am I missing? How do I keep the rocker off the seat, or tighten down the rocker and still allow it to 'rock'.

Thanks
Attached Images     
Old 10-08-2014, 02:52 PM
mrr23
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 98 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

The rocker won't sit on the hex part of the stud. The pushrods and valves will set the height.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:44 PM
CaseyJones
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16

You have the stud upside down. The hex end goes into the head. There is a nut that holds the rocker in place as it sits against the spring on one end and the pushrod on the other. The rocker just pivots on the shaft of the stud.
Old 10-08-2014, 05:03 PM
RSbeast
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

I would guess mechanical roller as Ive never seen a set screw on a hydraulic setup, it would also have bleed holes. Is the plunger depressable and adjusted by them? Id assume so; if not they aren't hydraulic.

Also, yes that rocker stud is upside down and missing the stanchion pivot and washer. Be sure to use the correct locking nuts on the top side.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:33 AM
mrr23
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '15

The stud is not upside down. If you notice the flat spot is under the hex and curved above it as seen in the picture. Remember this is a non ls1 motor. Old style sbc/lt1 motor. Fine thread size goes through the rocker trunion. Course thread size screws into head. Unless it is a ls1 motor and converting to adjustable setup.

Last edited by mrr23; 10-09-2014 at 09:46 AM.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:42 AM
mrr23
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '15

Should be posting in c4 section to get correct info.

Old 10-09-2014, 09:48 AM
mrr23
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by RSbeast
I would guess mechanical roller as Ive never seen a set screw on a hydraulic setup, it would also have bleed holes. Is the plunger depressable and adjusted by them? Id assume so; if not they aren't hydraulic.

Also, yes that rocker stud is upside down and missing the stanchion pivot and washer. Be sure to use the correct locking nuts on the top side.
Not a set screw. These lifters use a link bar between two lifters to keep them from spinning. Could be solid lifter.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:04 AM
RSbeast
Burning Brakes

Received 256 Likes on 165 Posts

Ah ok. Still don't see a bleed so yeah likely solid. I've no idea why I thought those were upsidedown lol. Esp since ive had stud mount heads before.
Old 10-09-2014, 12:06 PM
jimlikeschevys
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies.
The lifter set screw is for the where the bar attaches on the other side to connect to the two lifters together as previously mentioned so they don't spin in the bore.

Stud is not upside down. On this cylinder head the base the stud screws into is flat, so obviously the flat side of the hex fits the flat base on the head. I'd agree with the first response that the spring should keep the rocker off the hex seat.

Still looking for a sure fire method to determine if the lifters are hydrualic or not. Everyone seems to be leaning toward them being solid rollers, but how do I know for sure, as this will effect the cam selection.
Old 10-09-2014, 02:17 PM
mrr23
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '15

Just so we know, what motor is this?

Get notified of new replies

To Newb Valve Train Questions. (Non-Vette)

Quick Reply: Newb Valve Train Questions. (Non-Vette)